Breaking Bad - Final Season. Spoilers...Tread lightly.

Mya Stone

You know, if it weren't for the whole child-killing thing, if I were Walt and still in the business, I would like to have Todd around. He's loyal, quick to learn, has connections that have been proven to be greatly helpful, and is a soldier through and through. He reminds me of Wee-Bey from The Wire. He seems so comfortable and at ease with his environment, and that's something we haven't really seen from any other character on the show. Not sure whether he's a sociopath or not, although the "shit happens" line was pretty damn unnerving.

That whole "shit happens" scene made me sick to my stomach.

But I agree with what you said. He would make an excellent employee. That is until he has motivation to kill you.

Todd may just be the creepiest chracter on the damn show. He can kill a kid without remorse but then seems so docile when he shows eagerness to learn from his boss or when he is politely helping a lady pick her way through a field of corpses.

A really good article written by Anna Gunn where she address all the Skylar hate. It was good, and very well written. She seem like a smart lady.

http://www.nytimes.c...ssue.html?_r=2

That she feels she needs to write this is a bit sad though, and it shows that all the Skylar hate has been way too much. Seriosuly, how old are some people that are watching this show?

I liked the Carmela Soprano and Betty Draper comparison though, and I think it's true. Their men are infinitely more worse persons than they are, but they are their men's antagonists, and therefore become antagonistic in the audience eyes, even if that's a bit weird.

I for one loved the Carmela character. I haven't seen Mad Men, but I know Carmela is by far the least morally good character of those three, and yet I almost always felt she was right when she argued with Tony. One of the things I felt would have made the show better would have been if she actually would have slept with Furio. But maybe they wanted to show that Carmela can control that line of herself, and that she choose to do it.

Anyway, that article had made me realise I may have judged Skylar too harshly. I still don't think all she has done has been right, and she is at times hypocritical, but she is still a good character. Anyway, all viewers should read the article linked above.

Thank you for posting this link. I often find Skylar annoying because she employs passive aggressive behaviors to Walt's lies such as: the shoulder shrugs, the "nothing's wrong" attitude to Walt's emotional and pathetic questions and the affair, physical and financial, with Beneke. Yet, I realize that this is a means for her character to regroup and gather back some of her power from Walt. It is a reaction to Walt's constant lies and it is a testament to how much she cares for him.

As the series progresses, especially once Skylar knows exactly what Walt is doing and why he is doing it, she choses to aid him. It is not an easy decision for her.

Skylar seems to be somewhere in between Carmela Soprano and Karen Hill from Goodfellas. (I have never watched Mad Men). Carmela knows who Tony is and what he does for a living. Yet she fully enjoys those provided benefits and choses to ignore Tony's "job". Karen, except from some initial questions early on in the film, actively participates in the drug business with her husband, Henry. Yes, Karen has a hiccup of doubt when Henry, still her boyfriend at the time, but not yet her husband, pistol whips her neighbor as she watches from her doorstep. After the beating, Henry then gives her the "gun to hide," covered with the neighbor's fresh blood. Karen confesses in her voice over that this event "turns her on". From that moment on, Karen aids and abets Henry, even going so far as to weigh and cut the drugs alongside Henry's gumar (sp?). Toward the end of the movie, she goes so far as to attempt to flush the evidence.

Skylar is a reluctant participant in Walt's empire. She comes round to him with time and even then, stays away from the details of his business. Unlike Carmela who never gets her hands dirty, Skylar doesn't enjoy the money in an open way. Skylar sees the "fat stacks" and has to figure out what to do with them. Unlike Karen, Skylar avoids the day to day struggles.

All three of these women are well rounded briliantly written and fun to watch. The only complaint I have ever had with any of them is that they each care for their respective husbands too much. It's a tragic flaw in each of them.

Todd may just be the creepiest chracter on the damn show. He can kill a kid without remorse but then seems so docile when he shows eagerness to learn from his boss or when he is politely helping a lady pick her way through a field of corpses.

Man, Todd looks so innocent.... I thought he would be like Gale when we first saw him, but he's actually ruthless.

A really good article written by Anna Gunn where she address all the Skylar hate. It was good, and very well written. She seem like a smart lady.

http://www.nytimes.c...ssue.html?_r=2

That she feels she needs to write this is a bit sad though, and it shows that all the Skylar hate has been way too much. Seriosuly, how old are some people that are watching this show?

What the fuck. This shit boggles my mind, although I suppose at this point I shouldn't be surprised.

I really like Skyler. She is so far ahead of Walt in her emotional and social acumen it's not even a contest. She solved Walt's health care problems on her own in a day, by dropping enough information about Walt to Elliot, taking advantage of his remorse over the breakdown of his relationship with Walt, and getting Elliot to offer Walt a job that would have both paid significantly more than his teaching job and would have covered his health costs. It was the perfect story that would have allowed Walt to save some face and improve his life while fighting his cancer, which Walt sabotaged because of his crippling insecurity.

Honestly my favorite Skyler move was setting up her escape plan with Ted. When she saw that things with Walt were going past the point of no return, she made a very calculated decision to set up an escape plan - she returned to work to establish a modicum of financial independence, and when she realized the opportunity was there for something with Ted, she took advantage of it. I loved that she had sex with Ted, a man who clearly had feelings for her and held her in esteem. I'm fucking baffled why anyone would think she had any obligation to Walt at this point. The scene where she reveals she's been fucking Ted - intense. I love it. I love watching Skyler regain some of her agency. And I also love that Skyler ultimately walked away from him, because despite the promising exterior, he was ultimately another (criminal) mess she'd have to fix.

Her character did suffer a bit for lack of anything to do in between the end of her relationship with Ted and before the car wash really become an active subplot, though and I do feel there's been some wasted potential with her there.

What the fuck. This shit boggles my mind, although I suppose at this point I shouldn't be surprised.

I really like Skyler. She is so far ahead of Walt in her emotional and social acumen it's not even a contest. She solved Walt's health care problems on her own in a day, by dropping enough information about Walt to Elliot, taking advantage of his remorse over the breakdown of his relationship with Walt, and getting Elliot to offer Walt a job that would have both paid significantly more than his teaching job and would have covered his health costs. It was the perfect story that would have allowed Walt to save some face and improve his life while fighting his cancer, which Walt sabotaged because of his crippling insecurity.

Honestly my favorite Skyler move was setting up her escape plan with Ted. When she saw that things with Walt were going past the point of no return, she made a very calculated decision to set up an escape plan - she returned to work to establish a modicum of financial independence, and when she realized the opportunity was there for something with Ted, she took advantage of it. I loved that she had sex with Ted, a man who clearly had feelings for her and held her in esteem. I'm fucking baffled why anyone would think she had any obligation to Walt at this point. The scene where she reveals she's been fucking Ted - intense. I love it. I love watching Skyler regain some of her agency. And I also love that Skyler ultimately walked away from him, because despite the promising exterior, he was ultimately another (criminal) mess she'd have to fix.

Her character did suffer a bit for lack of anything to do in between the end of her relationship with Ted and before the car wash really become an active subplot, though and I do feel there's been some wasted potential with her there.

I agree 100%. I've always been a Skyler fan.

This just hit me--surely Lydia will know that Jesse is being talked to by the DEA. She doesn't like loose ends. Maybe Jesse's death, rather than Hank's, will be what brings Walt after her.

On Gomey being a mole for the cartel:

I'll admit its been so long since I've seen season 3 that I have no recollection either way of shady actions on Gomey's part. But if there are scenes where there are such implications, I could see a retrospective montage of said scenes, with a little narration, making it very much not seem like Gomey becoming a mole was forced, or late, at this point in the plot.

Archived