NFL 2013 Preseason: When it almost counts

DanteGabriel

I have to admit - I root for Carson Palmer wherever he goes, the same way I rooted for Chad Pennington. Football is such a rough sport, and I hate watching talented guys get derailed by injuries, then get lambasted by pudgy idiots who couldn't survive a fraction of the abuse these guys take.

I root for him too. I'm not one of the Bengals fans that hate that he quit. I think it's the best thing that ever happened to our team. It was a wake up call for ownership and coaching alike. That being said, every time I watch him play and see him make the same stupid mistakes that I saw him make in Cincinnati, I cannot help but think that injuries or not, he still wouldn't have become what we hoped after 2005.

I think it's likely that Teddy Bridgewater goes #1 over Clowney even if Clowney is considered the best player. Whoever ends up with the #1 pick will need a QB.

Agreed. But whoever has the #2 pick is going to be really happy if you're right. Clowney is a rare talent that top tier teams would really considering selling the farm to move up for, because he has the potential to immediately make a good defense a lot better. It would be interesting if a team like the Raiders had the #2 pick and started shopping it, just to see what sort of haul they could get (not that they couldn't use a pass rusher either).

I'm just imagining what a team like Seattle or Houston would give up for him. Obviously, those teams have pass rushers, but you could easily see management thinking "this guy will put us over the top". Or hell, New England.

I just came up with a new name for this year's NFL tanking team's slogan. It is not as good as "Suck for Luck", but I am going to call it " Lying Down for Clowny".

No tanking slogan will ever be as good as "Suck for Luck." We should change the structure of drafts in all US major leagues in order to avoid terrible rhymes that try to recapture an ounce of the magic that was "Suck for Luck."

Its being reported that the NFL and 4,500 former players have reached a $765 million settlement agreement over concussion-related lawsuits; pending judicial approval.

My first thought is that this seems really low, and I wonder if this will settle all the lawsuits or just some of them (coverage is still spotty since its breaking news). Most estimates I saw was that it would be closer to a $3 billion settlement.

Its being reported that the NFL and 4,500 former players have reached a $765 million settlement agreement over concussion-related lawsuits; pending judicial approval.

My first thought is that this seems really low, and I wonder if this will settle all the lawsuits or just some of them (coverage is still spotty since its breaking news). Most estimates I saw was that it would be closer to a $3 billion settlement.

League definitely won this battle. No heart wrenching testimony inside the courtroom on concussions and they get out of it for less than $1 billion. Crazy.

HUGE NEWS! The NFL has reached a settlement agreement on the concussion lawsuit to the tune of $765 million. There are over 4,500 former players that were a part of it so it comes out to 175k per player. Not a whole lot in the grand scheme when you think about the obscene medical bills these players can rack up. But I think the league knew they had to settle, especially after it came to light that they bullied ESPN into backing out of the concussion documentary. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/29/nfl-reaches-765-million-settlement-in-concussion-lawsuit/

That is surprisingly low, it works out to about $170k per plaintiff. But it's really hard to put a number on the impact to the quality of life of these players, so I think it's good that there is some level of compensation. But the league won here, that cost will be made up in a couple weeks.

Edit: ninja'd

Wow on the settlement. That's chump change for the NFL.

Agreed, I was hoping for something about double that, plus a much larger investment in medical research on treatment and prevention ($10 million a year for ten years would be a good start). Alas, the NFL appears bulletproof.

My first thought is that it is 765 mil higher, than what it should be, but whatever. I now hope they will stop pussyfying the rules, but that's unlikely. Once the lawyers smell the money they will never stop. I expect current players suing again in 10 years, claiming they didn't really know concussions can have negative long term efects...

"Pussifying" the rules is to protect them from future lawsuits.

Why new lawsuits? I mean, those players were not claiming that they were suing because concussions were caused per se, but that they didn't know concussions might have long term effect :lmao: (NFL suppressed it). So now everybody knows that football can be very dangerous and you might end like Muhammad Ali, right? It means you now when you know can make informed choice , right? To risk injury and make a lot of money or go play basketball. Of course personal responsibility is dirty word for litigation lawyers, so I'm perhaps tad too optimistic and we end watching flag football anyway.

Why new lawsuits? I mean, those players were not claiming that they were suing because concussions were caused per se, but that they didn't know concussions might have long term effect :lmao: (NFL suppressed it). So now everybody knows that football can be very dangerous and you might end like Muhammad Ali, right? It means you now when you know can make informed choice , right? To risk injury and make a lot of money or go play basketball. Of course personal responsibility is dirty word for litigation lawyers, so I'm perhaps tad too optimistic and we end watching flag football anyway.

Current players could still argue that teams pressured them to play immediately after sustaining concussions and did not provide appropriate protection (there are better helmets out there, they just look "goofy"); both of which would fit the definition of an unsafe work environment.

New hemet design

Current players could still argue that teams pressured them to play immediately after sustaining concussions and did not provide appropriate protection (there are better helmets out there, they just look "goofy"); both of which would fit the definition of an unsafe work environment.

You don't like helmet design? Find another job. Players should just accept NFL is fundamentally risky job and NFL should let them sign something to that effect, before they even step on field. And BTW no helmet design will really eliminate concussions (or even significantly reduce them) because those are often cause by brain inertia inside the skull when head suddenly stops moving forward.. So unless we will see players skulls padded on the inside the concussions are here to stay, unfortunately.

Archived