Rugby - Pre Binding Edition

ljkeane

(1) and (2), the game doesn't end until there is a breakdown in play (a knock on, the ball going out, a score etc) so theoretically the game could go on forever if nobody made a mistake or scored. There is extra time but it's not done by the ref, they stop the clock.

(3) The rule is the pass has to be backwards from the hands of the passing player, which it was.

(4) The video ref generally but they've changed it this year so the ref on the pitch can make a decision from watching the pictures on the big screen (if there is one) if he wants.

(5) It was a conversion which you can charge down but only after the kicker moves. The Ireland players moved to early. The reason he didn't have to retake it earlier was because he scored. Why punish him for the Irish offense?

This. The decisions were all correct Calibandar.

Nigel Owens is in my Opinion the best referee in the game right now. And Brian Moore was singing his praises as well.

He is incredibly lenient in the rucks. It makes for an excellent spectator game, but everyone was just diving into rucks all game, I think Ireland really targeted that in the first half and I think it's part of how they got the jump on New Zeeland. When Ireland scored their third try, I still had New Zeeland as slight favourites, but that final try was absolutely gutting.

I was in Paris for the SA game this week and the atmosphere really was excellent, although the rugby was dire and |France never looked like doing a thing.

He is incredibly lenient in the rucks. It makes for an excellent spectator game, but everyone was just diving into rucks all game, I think Ireland really targeted that in the first half and I think it's part of how they got the jump on New Zeeland.

They were largely counter rucking with purpose though rather than just cynically killing the ball so I don't have a huge issue with a side positively attacking the rucks getting some leeway.

New Zealand have actually had some issues with all 3 games in Europe this year with the opposition putting numbers into the rucks. They obviously back themselves to play at a high enough tempo to clear rucks quickly with only a couple of forwards in but it does expose Smith to taking a bit of a hammering when the opposition pack does catch up with them.

They were largely counter rucking with purpose though rather than just cynically killing the ball so I don't have a huge issue with a side positively attacking the rucks getting some leeway.

New Zealand have actually had some issues with all 3 games in Europe this year with the opposition putting numbers into the rucks. They obviously back themselves to play at a high enough tempo to clear rucks quickly with only a couple of forwards in but it does expose Smith to taking a bit of a hammering when the opposition pack does catch up with them.

Agreed, it's normally in favour of the attacking team, so it makes the game faster and more exciting. I'm just not sure I want the best referee to be the guy who lets the attackers get away with anything.

(1) and (2), the game doesn't end until there is a breakdown in play (a knock on, the ball going out, a score etc) so theoretically the game could go on forever if nobody made a mistake or scored. There is extra time but it's not done by the ref, they stop the clock.

I once played in a match the second half topped the hour mark the ref's watch (he showed us 64 min). Local derby, we were fighting relegation, they were hunting promotion, 4 points in it and both teams on 3 tries.

That was real puking on the sidelines afterwards. Both teams avoided the 5m line like the plague, no flat passes (ref may have ignored a knock-on or 2), tap and go was the order of the day, FH given a right bollocking for a grubber kick etc. Trying to get out of bed next day was... interesting, mine was not the only unhappy better-half.

Anyone go longer than that?

I love watching women's rugby. Maggie Alfonsi is a legend.

Alphoni's a beast but my favourite player in women's rugby is Emily Scarratt, classy centre of the variety England's men's team have been missing for a while.

Watching the Gloucester-Leicester game tonight Gloucester's tight five have been poor again so it's not easy to play flyhalf behind that but Burn's kicking has been dire again. I'd really like him to kick on and offer England a more well rounded option at 10 but absent someone like Halfpenny in the side they can't pick a flyhalf who's only making 58% of his kicks so far this season.

Archived