College football 2013 week 2: OVERCOME ADVERSITY

Kalbear

The Penn State sanctions have been essentially neuetered. Way to go NCAA! We're now rewarding programs for not covering up child predators for two whole years!

as a USC fan this pisses me off so fucking much. Penn State already got off incredibly lightly (they got to keep their football program, so any punishment in comparison to what they should have gotten was light).

USC didn't even do anything as an institution, yet are still being punished, kids that were five when this happened are being punished and yet the NCAAs rationale is that it's unfair to punish Penn STate's current players? What the suffering fuck. Fucking fuckwads can go fuck themselves.

ETA: Is Mettenburger kind of good for LSU now? That is a frightening prospect, if true.

His pocket awareness is average, his escapability sucks, but it seems like his field awareness and his understanding of coverages have improved a great deal over the off-season. And he has a cannon arm and good accuracy.

Of course, Jeremy Hill and those two WRs are the future NFLers in that offense. Mettenberger only has to be a game manager. We (Auburn) got steamrolled by Hill in the first half. ZM ran the offense, didn't make any mistakes, a solid performance. 2nd half, we found our pride and bottled Hill up, putting the onus on Mettenberger. Unfortunately for us, he delivered, answering two of our 2nd half TDs with two great TD drives, killing any momentum we could build up.

So I guess the answer is yes, ZM has become a good quarterback.

as a USC fan this pisses me off so fucking much. Penn State already got off incredibly lightly (they got to keep their football program, so any punishment in comparison to what they should have gotten was light).

USC didn't even do anything as an institution, yet are still being punished, kids that were five when this happened are being punished and yet the NCAAs rationale is that it's unfair to punish Penn STate's current players? What the suffering fuck. Fucking fuckwads can go fuck themselves.

Man, I agree 100%. Penn State deserved the death penalty if anyone ever did. Talk about loss of institutional control. SEVERAL people involved with the football program, including the head coach, had knowledge and did nothing. Its fucking sick. Its not about punishing the players, its about giving the axe to a corrupt system until they can get their god damn shit together. They should have been made an example of. Suspend the transfer penalty for guys leaving that program since it isn't the players' fault (and I guarantee just about everyone on PSU's roster would've been picked up somewhere). I'm actually still annoyed by how easy they got off. That stadium deserved to go dark for a couple of years.

They were talking about USC versus Penn State on local radio in SoCal today. They were saying that USC's attitude was like "this investigation is BS, so we're fighting it all the way" where Penn State was like "Whatever you need, NCAA, just tell us and we'll go along." And those were appropriate responses given that USC did pretty much nothing and Penn State did the truly unthinkable. But the NCAA did their thing.

I guess what is annoying about it is that when you think of a governing body you think of it sort of along the same lines that you'd think of a criminal justice system. This is the body in charge of dealing with crime and punishment.

If I go out and murder somebody, just shoot 'em right in the face. I may get a slightly less punishing sentence if I cooperate with investigators, but really, I'm still going to go down for the crime that I did commit whether I am cooperative or not. That is why the NCAA is so baffling, its almost like even the most unthinkable crimes are OK as long as you don't buck the system? What the hell is that. If the justice system treated crime the same way there'd be no consequences for anything.

'Yea. I shot that guy in the face, sorry about that, but I'll go ahead and cooperate with the investigation.'

'OK, cool. 25 hours community service. Wait, actually, you know what? You seem like an alright guy, charges dropped.'

Fully agree with SJohn's take on PSU, not much more to say.

Therefore...

is this the real life?

Haha I saw the Hokie Stone helmets last week. If regulars in this thread didn't already know - I hate Virginia Tech. Its a hate that can only exist in a situation like mine - you are a West Virginia native or alumni who is 1) from southern West Virginia (northern WV'ians tend to hate Pitt more) or 2) you are a West Virginian of any origin who happens to currently live around Hokie fans.

I am the second type. I'm a northern West Virginia native who spent his high school years in central/southwestern Virginia. Hokie country. I have battled VT fans since adolescence. Some of my best friends are VT fans, which is the kind of glaring flaw you have to look past when someone is otherwise an alright person when you grew up around here.

Anyway, the helmets are stupid and I hate them just like I hate VT's big dumb face. But I do like Eponine who is our only remaining VT fan, as far as I know, so I hadn't commented up until this point. Its a shame really, how such a nice person like Ep could be a fan of the forces of EVIL like she is. The world is a strange and mysterious place.

Haha I saw the Hokie Stone helmets last week. If regulars in this thread didn't already know - I hate Virginia Tech. Its a hate that can only exist in a situation like mine - you are a West Virginia native or alumni who is 1) from southern West Virginia (northern WV'ians tend to hate Pitt more) or 2) you are a West Virginian of any origin who happens to currently live around Hokie fans.

I am the second type. I'm a northern West Virginia native who spent his high school years in central/southwestern Virginia. Hokie country. I have battled VT fans since adolescence. Some of my best friends are VT fans, which is the kind of glaring flaw you have to look past when someone is otherwise an alright person when you grew up around here.

Anyway, the helmets are stupid and I hate them just like I hate VT's big dumb face. But I do like Eponine who is our only remaining VT fan, as far as I know, so I hadn't commented up until this point. Its a shame really, how such a nice person like Ep could be a fan of the forces of EVIL like she is. The world is a strange and mysterious place.

I know how you feel. One time I met a reasonably nice UofL fan. It was surreal.

I know how you feel. One time I met a reasonably nice UofL fan. It was surreal.

You might appreciate the following story. West Virginia fans have a bad reputation. I personally know its overblown, but it does exist. That said, there was ONE time that I do remember running my mouth at a WVU home game and it was Lousiville @ WVU, 2007. It was a night game and it was COLD. No shit 5 F was the high that night. I was living in WV at the time and I got my dad a ticket and we both got bombed before the game. Whiskey, moonshine, beer. And these Loserville fans came rolling up into our tailgate talking shit! It was right before kickoff so we were on our way inside anyway. And there was one guy who wouldn't let up. My dad is like the nicest guy ever, I had never seen him run his mouth to anyone at that point in my life but as soon as my dad began to describe the ass beating that Lousville was about to receive - I was all in. We jawed with these guys all the way into the stadium and it was a god damned blast.

The only other time I've really run my mouth at a football game was WVU @ Pitt in 2008.

And this, my friends, happy as I am to be in the Big 12, is why I lament the segregation of northeastern football. Nobody can run their mouth like northeasterners. West Virginians would never consider themselves god damned dirty northern Yankees, but the influence is there and we can jaw with the best of them. Albeit in a different accent. Ah, God, if only VT fans had a thick enough skin to take it in kind.

Side note - my best friend is originally from New Jersey and is a huge Rutgers fan. So, years ago, I kind of adopted Rutgers as my secondary team. I started going up to Rutgers games from time to time when I lived in DC because his dad had season tickets. I discovered that those fans are fucking great. Rutgers fans are awesome. The underlying culture is totally different but they were a lot like WVU fans, and you have to respect fans of a program that has never won shit but they still show up and get rowdy. To my surprise it was a lot more like a Saturday in Morgantown than a weekend on the Jersey Shore. Less people than at WVU and the tailgating left a lot to be desired, but the fans that showed up were a lot of fun.

You might appreciate the following story. West Virginia fans have a bad reputation. I personally know its overblown, but it does exist. That said, there was ONE time that I do remember running my mouth at a WVU home game and it was Lousiville @ WVU, 2007. It was a night game and it was COLD. No shit 5 F was the high that night. I was living in WV at the time and I got my dad a ticket and we both got bombed before the game. Whiskey, moonshine, beer. And these Loserville fans came rolling up into our tailgate talking shit! It was right before kickoff so we were on our way inside anyway. And there was one guy who wouldn't let up. My dad is like the nicest guy ever, I had never seen him run his mouth to anyone at that point in my life but as soon as my dad began to describe the ass beating that Lousville was about to receive - I was all in. We jawed with these guys all the way into the stadium and it was a god damned blast.

The only other time I've really run my mouth at a football game was WVU @ Pitt in 2008.

And this, my friends, happy as I am to be in the Big 12, is why I lament the segregation of northeastern football. Nobody can run their mouth like northeasterners. West Virginians would never consider themselves god damned dirty northern Yankees, but the influence is there and we can jaw with the best of them. Albeit in a different accent. Ah, God, if only VT fans had a thick enough skin to take it in kind.

Good to know UofL fans carry their little brother complex outside the state as well. :lol:

I had to google it... but I'm glad to know your team backed up your dad's shit talking that year. :thumbsup:

I just want to remind everyone that of John and me, exactly ONE of us put their education where their fandom is. When one of us went to their favorite school's games, they had student tickets. When one of us goes to watch games on TV now, it's at their large alumni association (in Denver!) of which they are a member. (One of us is carefully checking for spelling and grammar mistakes before hitting post).

The helmets are funny but it was inevitable that if someone got to asking what physical thing represented Va Tech, someone was going to come up with Hokie Stone, and if you were already going the camouflage route (against Marshall last week, auctioned off for charity), might as well go all the way. I wouldn't have chosen the Ga Tech game or any away game to wear them. Wear them at home and pretend it's campus camouflage - stand in the middle of campus and you disappear. The game is up in the air - we've looked bad where they've looked good in the first few games, but we know how to defend against their particular option offense, pretty sure Bud Foster can call the formations on both sides in his sleep, so as usual it's about whether our offense can manage avoid totally sabotaging our defensive effort.

Damn, an already rough season just got a whole lot rougher. Dominique Easley, who is arguably the best DT in the country and certainly the heart and soul of our defense, apparently tore his ACL in practice yesterday and will be out for the rest of the year (and the rest of his career since he's a senior). Fucking sucks, for him and us. Hope he recovers quickly and tears it up in the pros, but that'll be a huge loss for our defense.

The blog you linked says it stands for "Craig James Killed 5 Hookers"

Some clever folks got Craig James Killed 5 Hookers to be one of the things in the dropdown bar of a google search if you typed "Craig James" in in the middle of his senatorial campaign. Good stuff. One of the most disgusting humans out there, and pretty much the moment that ESPN lost all credibility with me was when they went all in on Craig James side to try to get Mike Leach fired from Tech.

Some clever folks got Craig James Killed 5 Hookers to be one of the things in the dropdown bar of a google search if you typed "Craig James" in in the middle of his senatorial campaign. Good stuff. One of the most disgusting humans out there, and pretty much the moment that ESPN lost all credibility with me was when they went all in on Craig James side to try to get Mike Leach fired from Tech.

Oh I agree 100% on ESPN getting in on that donkey show. It was ridiculous.

Funny about the google search, I'd never heard that until now.

ETA: I do find something ironic about a shirt for Texas Christian University touting the slaughter of prostitutes.

Man, I agree 100%. Penn State deserved the death penalty if anyone ever did. Talk about loss of institutional control. SEVERAL people involved with the football program, including the head coach, had knowledge and did nothing. Its fucking sick. Its not about punishing the players, its about giving the axe to a corrupt system until they can get their god damn shit together. They should have been made an example of. Suspend the transfer penalty for guys leaving that program since it isn't the players' fault (and I guarantee just about everyone on PSU's roster would've been picked up somewhere). I'm actually still annoyed by how easy they got off. That stadium deserved to go dark for a couple of years.

They were talking about USC versus Penn State on local radio in SoCal today. They were saying that USC's attitude was like "this investigation is BS, so we're fighting it all the way" where Penn State was like "Whatever you need, NCAA, just tell us and we'll go along." And those were appropriate responses given that USC did pretty much nothing and Penn State did the truly unthinkable. But the NCAA did their thing.

All This.

Also, we should not underestimate Penn State being deep in bed with ESPN and whoring themselves out to the big bully network for good press. It was a masterful bit of media control on Penn State's part. The ESPN party line--no dissent anywhere--on this is that the NCAA is doing the right thing and Penn State should never have been punished.

Archived