College football 2013 week 2: OVERCOME ADVERSITY

Kalbear

What you are talking about is that the SEC has had better recruiting. The fact remains that Texas is still the best place to find recruits in the country. More BCS players have been recruited from the state than any other. Texas is the premium state for recruiting in the country.
The SEC has been doing better than the university of Texas at Austin. Texas is one of the best states for recruiting - but UT doesn't get everyone in Texas. It doesn't even get the pick of the litter.

[What you are talking about is that the SEC has had better recruiting. The fact remains that Texas is still the best place to find recruits in the country. More BCS players have been recruited from the state than any other. Texas is the premium state for recruiting in the country.

You might not know this - but the SEC isn't just one state.

And the SEC has been doing just fine recruiting guys from Texas. Also somewhat important: Alabama hasn't done a ton of recruiting in Texas yet has had the best recruiting classes by a mile. Most of their talent? From Georgia, Florida, Alabama and Louisiana. So sure, Texas has a ton of talent. So do all the states of the SEC.

Hello, boys. :) Reporting from God's country, Gainesville, Florida. Here to watch the Gators v. Volunteers game. I'm just requesting to the universe, that UF doesn't complete 5 turnovers this time. I will accept 3 or mayhaps 4, just not as many as five. Thank you head coach in the sky. Have a good day and Go Gators, Beat Those Volunteers. (Except Rocky. Rocky kicks ass. I love him. And Uga too, but that's a different story).

Unsure if serious, Tennessee is worse than Miami.

Come on, you Fresno State... whatevers. Why do I even care who wins this?

Also, are there any games worth watching tomorrow beyond Stanford vs ASU? I don't really want to watch MSU-ND or LSU-Auburn, but blah blah desperate times.

Also, are there any games worth watching tomorrow beyond Stanford vs ASU? I don't really want to watch MSU-ND or LSU-Auburn, but blah blah desperate times.

That's pretty much it. An awful day for college football all around. Only reason to watch is for the possibility of upsets.

This Fresno/Boise game is getting interesting.

http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/dollars/post/_/id/2556/texas-tops-in-football-profit-revenue

That is a cute breakdown, but Alabama is not even in the top 10 in revenue.

Also, the notion that Alabama somehow takes football more seriously than Texas is just not true. I have lived in Bama country, and I have lived in Texas. Let's just say that I hear Hook em Horns way more than I ever heard Roll Tide.

That means you lived in Alabama when they were irrelevant. Come back for a week, and I guarantee you'll change your tune. I live in Auburn, and I see Alabama bumper stickers and flags and hear that shit every day.

Unsure if serious, Tennessee is worse than Miami.

Come on, you Fresno State... whatevers. Why do I even care who wins this?

My schedule tomorrow consists of Marshall @ Virginia Tech at noon, then West Virginia @ Maryland (in Baltimore) at 3:30. Of course I have a personal interest in both of those games, I doubt they churn up butterflies for the neutral observer.

I just got back from Florida this evening and was considering taking a swing at driving up to DC/Baltimore early tomorrow morning to see if I could rally some of my people up there and get tickets and go to the WVU game. But... I checked the forecast and looks like thunderstorms all across Virginia and Maryland tomorrow so I think TV is the way to go. I'll catch the Mountaineers live another time. I'm trying to get tickets for the Texas game, but apparently so is everyone else.

I'll watch ASU and Stanford in the evening, I think that is the only game between 2 ranked opponents this weekend which is lame. I'm selfishly hoping for some top 10 upsets so Oklahoma State sneaks into the top 10 before they come to Morgantown on the 28th to meet their demise, but I'm not seeing any likely ones. Auburn could upset LSU maybe? Its at the same time as WVU/Maryland so I wont be watching that one anyway, but it was the only top 10 game where I thought the opponent had a fighting chance.

eta - as i said the other day, I do fully expect WVU / Maryland to be competitive. So that might be something to consider if the other 330 games are duds. I'll be surprised if either team has it in hand by the 4th Q

I'm not watching Marshall-VaTech, sorry. VaTech's offense is SO BAD (there's a small chance I'm confusing them with Virginia, but I don't think so).

I might check out WVU-Maryland, though, I want to see a little from both of those teams.

Where in FL were you?

I'm not watching Marshall-VaTech, sorry. VaTech's offense is SO BAD (there's a small chance I'm confusing them with Virginia, but I don't think so).

I might check out WVU-Maryland, though, I want to see a little from both of those teams.

Where in FL were you?

Haha, I don't blame you for not wanting to watch VT and Marshall. I am able to watch VT to cheer against them and I do like Marshall as long as they aren't playing WVU. Like many WVU fans I hated the WVU / Marshall series 'cause I saw it as a lose / lose and it bred an almost-rivalry in a state that doesn't need one. I want to be able to like Marshall AND WVU and that is easier when they don't cross paths.

Anyway, I was in Jacksonville. One of the little known benefits of being a West Virginia native is that you probably have a big family that is scattered all over the place due to the diaspora of West Virginians over the past 40 years or so. I've got family in Jacksonville, Ft. Lauderdale, Nashville, Hawaii, all over the Carolinas, etc. So I was paying some folks a visit now that I've ended my America hiatus.

Alabama has been better at recruiting than Texas for a while. Potential or actual, even when Vince Young was doing outstanding the SEC was outrecruiting, regularly, Texas. 2005 is a good example: Texas ranks 13th. They were top 3 in 2006 and 2007 and then plummeted down. Having in-state connections is great and all, but you also have a massive amount of competition for those recruits.

Texas splits their fans among a lot of sports and venues. Alabama is basically supported by the entire state of Alabama and by fiat by everyone in the SEC.

Texas has 9 conference games. Alabama has 8, and does not necessarily see anyone scary in the other division until the championship game.

The SEC is currently by far the best location for recruiting and college football and it's not really comparable or arguable.

Dump trucks of money is a poor argument as well; it assumes that the SEC can't do this. Or won't. Or for that matter, that the best coaches only care amount money and don't care about winning.

And seriously - Michigan and Notre Dame? I understand Notre Dame went to the NCG fairly recently (for the first time in 15 years) and got completely dismantled, but Michigan hasn't been relevant for a while.

Alabama has been better than Texas in recruiting since Nick Saban arrived., and that is arguable. According to Scout.com, Texas has had a higher ranking per recruit than Alabama every year since 2005 with the exception of this past year. Alabama ranks higher overall because they sign a full class or more every year and process players who do not pan out (transfers, "medical hardships"). Texas signs as many as they can under the 85 scholarship limit, and I assume they honor scholarship commitments for four years.

Anyway, Saban would recruit just as well or better if he were at Texas. Texas is a talent rich state (3rd to California and Florida), and it would be easy enough for him to establish a presence in Louisiana and then branch off from there to the rest of the country.

Nice. I have not experienced Jacksonville yet, though if I drive from Tampa to my next assignment, I might try to stop there.

I like it, and in terms of hypothetically living somewhere in Florida I think I'd prefer it over South Florida or Orlando which are the other parts of the state I know. I've been to Jacksonville a bunch of times since that particular branch of my family moved down there maybe 15 years ago.

But I honestly don't know what it would be like to visit there if you didn't know anyone, I don't think its exactly an action packed town. My cousin mockingly calls it Action-ville. There are beaches, so you can't go wrong there. But when I visit its a lot of boating, fishing, etc. Making your own fun kinda things. Not sure if its any good just passing through. I went fishing the other day in this swamp/ estuary kinda place. Was fun yet a little disconcerting standing waist deep in alligator habitat. :uhoh: On the bright side you don't have to get out if you have to pee and my cousin and I did manage to bring home dinner!

Archived