College football 2013 week 2: OVERCOME ADVERSITY

Kalbear

Our defense does not deserve our offense. Sigh. And now our QB is hurt (fittingly on a play where he threw a pick 6), and we're hoping playing a guy now who has had no meaningful reps in 3 years at school.

Unless there is some kind of drastic change (which I really don't see coming because we're making the same mistakes we have for the last 3 years), one of the all-time UF defenses will likely win 7 games...

Edit - on cue defense forces another fumble, we immediately fumble it too. Unreal. We got ours back though. Jesus.

Our defense does not deserve our offense. Sigh. And now our QB is hurt (fittingly on a play where he threw a pick 6), and we're hoping playing a guy now who has had no meaningful reps in 3 years at school.

Unless there is some kind of drastic change (which I really don't see coming because we're making the same mistakes we have for the last 3 years), one of the all-time UF defenses will likely win 7 games...

Edit - on cue defense forces another fumble, we immediately fumble it too. Unreal. We got ours back though. Jesus.

Yeah, as a Vols fan & alumnus, I'm watching this game w interest. I wish my interests ran toward sloppy, mistake prone offenses, I'd be in heaven right now...

Yup, total slopfest. I will say that if you hold a team to 31 total yards in a half, force 4 turnovers, are playing at home and against a team with a really struggling defense, you need to be up by more than 10. The ways we find of shooting ourselves in the foot on offense are inventive and many.

Murphy looks okay though, and actually seems to have a better pocket presence than Driskel, which is admittedly not saying much. His arm is nowhere near as strong as Driskel's though, but we hardly utilizes arm strength in our offense.

Go Gators.

Are you living down there these days?

I'm living in Tampa until November, Lord help me.

Man, wtf happened? 30-0? Is the ACC good this year? I had the FL-Tennessee game (which I think is actively making me stupider) on, because I was doing something else and wasn't paying enough attention to toggle between a bunch of games.

I'm living in Tampa until November, Lord help me.

Man, wtf happened? 30-0? Is the ACC good this year? I had the FL-Tennessee game (which I think is actively making me stupider) on, because I was doing something else and wasn't paying enough attention to toggle between a bunch of games.

Nice, Tampa is the one Florida city where I haven't really spent any time, but I've heard its pretty nice. And what happened is that WVU's offense doesn't exist. D has played as well as could be expected but multiple turnovers lead to Maryland scores and the offense... wow its really bad. Hard to believe a Dana Holgorsen team has fielded an offense this shitty. Polar opposite of last years' team where the O was great and the D didn't exist. Its bizarre.

Baylor....

Wow....

They haven't played major competition yet, but the offense has been insane. They could have easily put 100 burger on everyone they played... Instead, they have gone with second, third, and sometimes fourth stringers and have been laying 70 on people,

What is scary is that the defense looks really strong this year.

We look good, but ASU looks rattled as fuck. I don't think this is a great measure of either team. Unless, of course, you're talking about the stadium/campus, in which case you're just unequivocally right :-P

LOL blocked punt for safety.

Oh, man, so when Wisconsin lost to ASU last week, Bielema's wife Jen sent out a tweet that just said "#karma"

Arkansas lost to Rutgers today.

Amazing.

If y'all don't beat this particular iteration of the Vols, at home, you just need to up and quit football. :P

ETA: It's "Smokey" and he does indeed kick ass. There's a Tennessee Blue Tick Hound in my neighborhood who looks just like him. :)

I'm an idiot. Also, yes, I saw Smokey! He is ridiculously cute?

Yeah. Tennessee is bad. Almost Miami bad.

Bronn!! I love you. :) Baiting me eh?

Thank you for your response. Now I get a second opportunity to mention Miami to the Florida fan.

:D

What's with teams rolling up huge numbers against obviously inferior opponents? I get that sometimes you put your second string in and they beat up on the other team, but shutouts or near-shutouts for ranked teams Ohio State, Miami, Louisville and Baylor scoring 70+ points? Is that really necessary? I understand the desire to make a big statement against a team that was supposed to be equally good or better - WVU vs. Clemson, say. I've been to games against FCS teams where it was obvious that the opponent wasn't going to be able to do anything on either side of the ball. It wasn't very interesting, a lot of people leave at halftime. But running up the score like that I would feel was unwatchable at any point in the game and not something I'd want to see.

Jesus, but Stanford took our foot of the gas. Worries me a little for the defense during the Oregon game - can they sustain a bugeyed intensity for four quarters? They did last year, but...

I guess not having the 12-year-old in at QB for two straight three-and-outs just as the opposing offense finds its rhythm might also be good.

Looks like Driskel is done for the year with a broken leg. That sucks.

Sorry, Gator fans.

Yeah, that's a big loss. Murphy looked really capable today, and as I mentioned in the other post he seems to have a better pocket presence than Driskel, but UT is not indicative of the defenses he's going to face this year. So we'll see.

But it really sucks for Driskel, who is a good kid by all accounts, and worked really hard in the offseason. He was the top QB prospect out of high school, and the clear starter for us, so he's obviously got some talent. I don't think our coaches have done him many favors, though I also think his decision-making is a little slow. He decides to do something a fraction too late. But it's just a leg, he'll get surgery and hopefully score a medical redshirt, and still have 2 years eligibility. His problem though is we have another hot recruit coming in next year, and if Murphy plays well the rest of this year, Driskel could get time-squeezed out.

But going forward, Murphy needs to play like he did today, with making good, safe, quick decisions and not trying to do too much. As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, we play a vanilla, boring offense that demands taking care of the ball. We do that and our defense will take care of the rest.

Archived