College football 2013 week 2: OVERCOME ADVERSITY

Kalbear

Also, we should not underestimate Penn State being deep in bed with ESPN and whoring themselves out to the big bully network for good press. It was a masterful bit of media control on Penn State's part. The ESPN party line--no dissent anywhere--on this is that the NCAA is doing the right thing and Penn State should never have been punished.

FWIW, Dan Patrick was espousing the very same viewpoint today and he is about as anti-ESPN party line as they come. He made some pretty good points about why Penn State should not have been punished (by the NCAA) too.

If loss of institutional control doesn't cover a former coach raping children in the athletic department locker rooms and molesting them in other athletic department facilities for decades when other people on the premises either witnessed problems or had reason to suspect problems, I'm not sure that the term has any meaning and is something that any athletic department can ever be punished for.

I just want to remind everyone that of John and me, exactly ONE of us put their education where their fandom is. When one of us went to their favorite school's games, they had student tickets. When one of us goes to watch games on TV now, it's at their large alumni association (in Denver!) of which they are a member. (One of us is carefully checking for spelling and grammar mistakes before hitting post).

Haha, well I was out of state at the time and there was no sense in paying out of state tuition to go to West Virginia when Virginia has like 10 pretty good universities where I could get in-state tuition. Anyway, I think it was my junior year at JMU when they won the FCS national championship. But before that nobody on campus cared about JMU football. It wasn't a thing at all before that win really fired up the bandwagon, so I continued to follow WVU like I always had. Never did get into JMU football. I did happen to catch the 2010 JMU / VT game, though. :lol:

oh yes, ESPNs et als argument that it wasn't fair for the NCAA to bypass their normal procedure (because Penn State consented to the NCAA using Penn State's much more rigorous internal review) and therefore the whole process is invalid. that's bullshit. or ESPNs et als argument that Penn State shouldn't be punished because the punishment would hurt the local economy. That's bullshit too, the community is somewhat guilty too for elevating the football program to such above-the-law heights and if there's an unpleasant economic consequence to Penn State getting the death penalty, well, suck it up and deal with it. Just because punishment is inconvenient doesn't mean that the punishment should be forestalled (even though this was the reprehensible rationale for letting all the crooks on wall street continue to walk free and all of them are probably currently continuing their crime spree).

Damn, an already rough season just got a whole lot rougher. Dominique Easley, who is arguably the best DT in the country and certainly the heart and soul of our defense, apparently tore his ACL in practice yesterday and will be out for the rest of the year (and the rest of his career since he's a senior). Fucking sucks, for him and us. Hope he recovers quickly and tears it up in the pros, but that'll be a huge loss for our defense.

I thought he was a Junior but he wanted to declare. Anyway, likely first round pick, gone. :bawl: Why this accursed season? Why?

The WSJ did a story on declining student attendance at Georgia.

Its an interesting read. They pinpoint several issues not unique to Georgia such as the availability of HD TV's, no alcohol at SEC stadiums, and what seems to get the most attention is lack of WiFi access at stadiums. One senior gal is quoted as:

As the service is right now, many stadiums are such dead zones that "you can't text, Instagram or tweet," said Georgia senior Kim Baltenberger.

Its interesting and I think a valid point. The article goes on to talk about the Patriots and Eagles and the expense they went to in order to upgrade their WiFi access. Apparently upload rates spike with relatively little download at large events in these venues.

Thought it was an interesting read.

I feel a small, white-hot ball of rage burning in my gut. You don't go to football games to fucking tweet!

I disagree. Sharing the experience is part of the experience. I am not a tweeter, but I do like texting those of my friends who cannot attend in person. Makes it almost like being there.

I disagree. Sharing the experience is part of the experience. I am not a tweeter, but I do like texting those of my friends who cannot attend in person. Makes it almost like being there.
For you. For them, they're being shits.

When I went to the NCG a few years back one of the things that bothered me was a group of three people who spent a ton of time texting instead of watching the game. And then they'd ask 'what happened'? When some big play happened.

Fuck them.

Yeah, it's nice to text at some points in the game - timeouts, TV timeouts, that sort of thing. But I'd rather err on the side of dead zones.

I didn't think the VT helmets looked as silly as they appeared in the initial picture. The college logo was dark enough and the different stone shades light enough that it wasn't distracting. Not an especially interesting game for most of it - just enough offense to be a TD ahead plus a good lot of defense including interceptions and a fumble recovery. I was a little worried when there was still 10 minutes and only up by 7, but fortunately Ga Tech eliminates the need for clock management, since they burn down time better than the team that actually wants the clock to keep running.

We could definitely get to 10 wins again this way if we can beat Miami. Our schedule is terrible, but it's mostly coincidence - we could have had Clemson, Fl St, Ga Tech, Miami, UNC in conference, but the schedule didn't fall out that way.

Anyway, the helmets are stupid and I hate them just like I hate VT's big dumb face. But I do like Eponine who is our only remaining VT fan, as far as I know, so I hadn't commented up until this point. Its a shame really, how such a nice person like Ep could be a fan of the forces of EVIL like she is. The world is a strange and mysterious place.

If a WVU fan says the helmets "are stupid" then that's proof enough that they weren't. I wouldn't possibly expect an eer fan to comprehend the message behind those helmets or the image of the War Memorial Pylons on them.

West Virginia fans have a bad reputation. I personally know its overblown, but it does exist.

"Overblow"...HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. If anything, WVU fans don't catch enough grief about their reprehensible behaviour. Of course, I guess it could be worse...as Mark May said "they throw pennies at the opposing team beause they can't afford quarters."

Archived