Commonly Believed Myths

Moon-Pale Maiden

And yet, compare Lancel. He had little difficulty freeing his own captive bride. It was merely a matter of how much he was willing to give up.

By that logic Sansa is at fault because she could have escaped Tyrion by joining the Silent Sisters.

That's one of the reasons why I think it will never be revealed, GRRM is letting different characters meet the conditions but he won't outright announce it in the book who AAR really is, he will leave it to the readers to discuss.

Or the other alternative that the prophesy is not real.

I think the prophecy is real. But I like your observation that he will never outright tell us who it is.

A king can name whoever they want as successor, and can definitely name a woman, which did happen.

But that happened before the Dance of the Dragons. What is under the discussion are the succession rules after the Dance.

Not only that, there have been ZERO cases of a female child being passed over for an uncle or cousin, ie Stannis has a 'better claim' than Dany because she's a girl.

On the contrary, Daena Targaryen and her two sisters were passed over for their uncle, Viserys II.

The wiki is not canon, it's not 'evidence'.

The wiki is based on a SSM where George affirmed that after the Dance of the Dragons, all female claimants were placed behind all male claimants. It's not clear if the Baratheon dynasty retained these rules, though.

The myth is that a Targaryan female "can't" inherit the throne.

Despite all I've said above, you are right that women can inherit the throne. They just have to wait until there are no males left, at least in the Targaryen dynasty.

By that logic Sansa is at fault because she could have escaped Tyrion by joining the Silent Sisters.

If you think Sansa really had that choice, then that is, indeed, an argument. Not that joining the Warrior's Sons is nearly as limiting as joining the silent sisters. Apart from other things, there's no vow of silence.

Also, I've lost track of what we are trying to prove ...

That mellisandre is origionally from Ashai.

She thinks about her life before Ashai in her POV and so it seems to me she must be from somewhere else. My bet is she was taken from her parents and sold as a slave to the Red Temple.

number 2 that R'hllor as a religion origionates from Ashai. Again there is no evidence for this people are reaching based upon the fact we are told that in ashai there are scrolls documenting the AAR legend but we are also told that in Ashai there are many scrolls and books which hold knowledge from all over the known world. I think people take this and the fact they believe Mel is Ashian and run with it. Which is imo misdirection.

:agree:

And, as I recall. Tyrion had no choice but to wed Sansa.

Yes he did, as the only punishment that Tywin would have inflicted on him would be him maybe finding Tyrion a less desirable wife.

Archived