Small questions v.10014

Angalin

I can't be certain but I think any of the surviving Stark children (except for Arya, perhaps) might follow the Seven as well as the old Northern gods? They would certainly have the influence of both religions given their upbringing.

Yeah, their religions are left a little ambiguous, but Arya at least practiced both at one point or another.

I've seen Dawn being said to be made of 'iron' before.

Is this an assumption because it's made from a meteorite/falling star, or is their textual evidence that it's actually iron?

( i know it's white and unusual etc etc. I'm trying to see if there's a real world inspiration for dawns material)

Yes meteorites contain iron, among other things. There are examples of civilizations making jewelry from it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_meteorite

I don't think you're going to find anything that explains the pale milky appearance of Dawn.

Is this an assumption because it's made from a meteorite/falling star, or is their textual evidence that it's actually iron?

( i know it's white and unusual etc etc. I'm trying to see if there's a real world inspiration for dawns material)

It's made from the metal fond in a meteorite. If it's an alloy iron would be likely since it dates from the iron age.

Sansa.

I thought about that one, I couldn't remember does she actually pray to the old gods in the Kings Landing godswood, or is that just her cover story for meeting Dontos? Anyway I decided the point was moot because she'd be praying to an oak tree.

I thought about that one, I couldn't remember does she actually pray to the old gods in the Kings Landing godswood, or is that just her cover story for meeting Dontos? Anyway I decided the point was moot because she'd be praying to an oak tree.

Ned still feels the presence of the old Gods in front of that same oak though.

There's a scene where Sansa is telling someone (Jeyne Poole?) that the queen will help them because they have been captured and the person just stares at her like she's stupid. Does anyone know which chapter this is?

IIRC it is the first Sansa chapter after Eddard 13 (where Eddard is betrayed by the Gold cloaks). I think there's an Arya chapter after the Eddard chapter and then the Sansa chapter.

Can someone tell me the time difference between Theon I from tWoW and Jon's assassination. Does the Theon I chapter take place after Jon's killing or before?

In the timeline sheet I have Theon I happens 10 days before Jon is assassinated. But how do we know for sure?

And why would the author put the chapter after the Jon after if it was meant to be before?

Can someone tell me the time difference between Theon I from tWoW and Jon's assassination. Does the Theon I chapter take place after Jon's killing or before?

In the timeline sheet I have Theon I happens 10 days before Jon is assassinated. But how do we know for sure?

And why would the author put the chapter after the Jon after if it was meant to be before?

As far as I know, we don't know for sure when the Theon sample chapters takes place. When he posted it Martin included a note that "as always, the chronology is a bit tricky." I personally think it was before Jon's assassination, allowing time for the battle at Winterfell and then the bastard letter to get to The Wall.

Lord Gyles of Rosby is described by Cersei as very rich with a wealthy estate, yet Brienne describes Rosby as no more than "a wide place in the road". So how does that work??

Cersei is talking about the wealth of house Rosby, Brienne is describing the small town outside the castle.

I kept getting a feeling that there was something special about Gendry and his status as one of Robert's bastards, but it's entirely possible that I misinterpreted or simply read too much into it. Thanks!

I think most people thinks there is more to Gendry then at this point we know of. MBG is that his mother was not a KL gutter rat that he thinks, he may be a great bastard.

There is a theory (based off GoT) that he is Cersei's and Roberts first born child. However the books says that she killed that child.

I don't believe it had anything to do with their potential legitimization or even telling them who their father is (for those who don't know, that is). After all, Ned didn't tell Gendry who's his father when he had the chance.

Actually thats kind of a reoccurring joke, just as someone knows who his father was, that they leave, or get taken away, and he never gets told. Brienne and a few others, and I think even Arya had gotten it right after they were separated.

I seen nickel more then a few times. Iron is what most swords are made of and unless he is using unobtanium, iron would be to some degree in the mix. MBG is that a large amount of carbon was mixed in the metal, and that gives its milkly white color.

There are lots of chapters that happen well before or well after another of the same time. How many times have we heard something happened, and then later get to see what really happened w/ another POV? Its a way for GRRM to distort our view of whats going on.

Archived