Most powerful quotes

Viserys - The last dragon

Some of the best quotes have already been mentioned, of course. I'll just add some more.

"There is no creature on earth half so terryfying as a truly just man" - Varys

"Whatever you do, make certain your hands are clean" - LF

"Words are wind" - Tyrion

"Power resides where men believes it resides" - Varys

"Fear cuts deeper than swords" - Arya

For start:

“Dressing her in grey and white serves no good if the girl is left to sob. The Freys may not care, but the northmen … they fear the Dreadfort, but they love the Starks.”

In return we swore that we should always be their men. STARK men!
Bear Island knows no king but the King in the North, whose name is STARK
Winter is almost upon us, boy. And winter is death. I would sooner my men die fighting for the Ned’s little girl than alone and hungry in the snow, weeping tears that freeze upon their cheeks. No one sings songs of men who die like that. As for me, I am old. This will be my last winter. Let me bathe in Bolton blood before I die. I want to feel it spatter across my face when my axe bites deep into a Bolton skull. I want to lick it off my lips and die with the taste of it on my tongue.
“but the rest, yes. Old Whoresbane is only here because the Freys hold the Greatjon captive. And do you imagine the Hornwood men have forgotten the Bastard’s last marriage, and how his lady wife was left to starve, chewing her own fingers? What do you think passes through their heads when they hear the new bride weeping? Valiant Ned’s precious little girl.”
The north remembers, Lord Davοs. The north remembers, and the mummer's farce is almost done.

I defeated your uncle Victarion and his Iron Fleet off Fair Isle, the first time your father crowned himself. I held Storm's End against the power of the Reach for a year, and took Dragonstone from the Targaryens. I smashed Mance Rayder at the Wall, though he had twenty times my numbers. Tell me, turncloak, what battles has the Bastard of Bolton ever won that I should fear?

I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom, when I should have been trying to save the kingdom to win the throne

"I stopped believing in gods the day I saw the Windproud break up across the bay. Any gods so monstrous as to drown my mother and father would never have my worship, I vowed. In King’s Landing, the High Septon would prattle at me of how all justice and goodness flowed from the Seven, but all I ever saw of either was made by men."

:bowdown:

dead things in the water dead things in the woods... Night gathers, and now my war begins
FORESHADOWING!

Rhaegar had chosen Lyanna Stark of Winterfell. Barristan Selmy would have made a different choice. Not the queen, who was not present. Nor Elia of Dorne, though she was good and gentle; had she been chosen, much war and woe might have been avoided. His choice would have been a young maiden not long at court, one of Elia’s companions … though compared to Ashara Dayne, the Dornish princess was a kitchen drab.

Even after all these years, Ser Barristan could still recall Ashara’s smile, the sound of her laughter. He had only to close his eyes to see her, with her long dark hair tumbling about her shoulders and those haunting purple eyes. Daenerys has the same eyes. Sometimes when the queen looked at him, he felt as if he were looking at Ashara’s daughter …

But Ashara’s daughter had been stillborn, and his fair lady had thrown herself from a tower soon after, mad with grief for the child she had lost, and perhaps for the man who had dishonored her at Harrenhal as well. She died never knowing that Ser Barristan had loved her. How could she? He was a knight of the Kingsguard, sworn to celibacy. No good could have come from telling her his feelings. No good came from silence either. If I had unhorsed Rhaegar and crowned Ashara queen of love and beauty, might she have looked to me instead of Stark?

He would never know. But of all his failures, none haunted Barristan Selmy so much as that.

“Woe

to the Usurper if we had been,” said Ser Oswell.

“Our knees do not bend easily,” said Ser Arthur Dayne.

“But not of the Kingsguard,” Ser Gerold pointed out. “The Kingsguard does not flee.”

Murdered at the Red Wedding, butchered by the Freys. I should have been with him. Where was I? I should have died with him. – Theon

Vengeance. Justice. Fire and Blood.

“Woe

to the Usurper if we had been,” said Ser Oswell.

“Our knees do not bend easily,” said Ser Arthur Dayne.

“But not of the Kingsguard,” Ser Gerold pointed out. “The Kingsguard does not flee.”

Murdered at the Red Wedding, butchered by the Freys. I should have been with him. Where was I? I should have died with him. – Theon

Vengeance. Justice. Fire and Blood.

The whole exchange between Ned and the KG men at the Tower of Joy is awesome. Additionally:

-(Jaime to Loras): Now sheathe your bloody sword, or I’ll take it from you and shove it up some place even Renly never found.

-(Someone in Meereen discussing their Unsullied versus the useless ones in Astapor): “the kind that don’t break and run when you fart in their general direction”.

-(Torumund, on his son-in-law): “I told him if he ever hurt her, I’d yank his member off and beat him bloody with it”.

"Robb says the man died bravely, but Jon says he was afraid."

"What do you think?" his father asked.

Bran thought about it. "Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?"

"That is the only time a man can be brave,"

• 1 year later...

Spoiler
"He is welcome to try, whatever name he goes by." That whole chapter in general.

Just made me think of the Eddard quotes about NW deserters who know their life is forfeit, or more fittingly, Jorah's comment about Drogo's bloodrider who sees his life ending with Drogo's. We know that Stannis see's his own life ending, so now he is literally balls to the wall, beyond fear, all out to wreck anybody and anything that stands in his way.

" Won every battle, while losing the Freys, the Karstarks, Winterfell, and the North."

"So many vows...they make you swear and swear. Defend the king. Obey the king. Keep his secrets. Do his bidding. Your life for his. But obey your father. Love your sister. Protect the innocent. Defend the weak. Respect the gods. Obey the laws. It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or the other.”

“That boy had wanted to be Ser Arthur Dayne, but someplace along the way he had become the Smiling Knight instead.”

“ The septons preach about the seven hells. What do they know? Only a man who's been burned knows what hell is truly like "

"“ What do you think a knight is for, girl? You think it's all taking favors from ladies and looking fine in gold plate? Knights are for killing. I killed my first man at twelve. I've lost count of how many I've killed since then. High lords with old names, fat rich men dressed in velvet, knights puffed up like bladders with their honors, yes, and women and children too- they're all meat, and I'm the butcher. Let them have their lands and their gods and their gold. Let them have their sers"

-Baddass Sandor Clegane

I'm not going to transcript the whole quote, but Mance's story about why he left the NW was one of the more "powerful" exchanges in the series. He had just been attacked by a shadowcat and his brothers brought him to a healer...

[...]She was dead, as it happened, but her daughter saw to me. Cleaned my wounds, sewed me up, and fed me porridge and potions until I was strong enough to ride again. And she sewed up the rents in my cloak as well, with some scarlet silk from Asshai that her grandmother had pulled from the wreck of a cog washed up on the Frozen Shore. It was the greatest treasure she had, and her gift to me." He swept the cloak back over his shoulders. "But at the Shadow Tower, I was given a new wool cloak from stores, black and black, and trimmed with black, to go with my black breeches and black boots, my black doublet and black mail. The new cloak had no frays nor rips nor tears... and most of all, no red. The men of the Night's Watch dressed in black, Ser Denys Mallister reminded me sternly, as if I had forgotten. My old cloak was fit for burning now, he said.

"I left the next morning... for a place where a kiss was not a crime, and a man could wear any cloak he chose."

After getting past that, it made it very difficult for me to dislike Mance.

Archived