Football 52: How Many Different Ways Can Commentators Pronounce "Özil"?

Xray the Enforcer

Entertaining game tonight. Swansea have rediscovered their form. They really lost their way at the end of last season and started weakly against ManU and Spurs but a good win last week seems to have picked them up a bit.

Liverpool tried to use the same tactics again to defend a lead but it was risky with a makeshift defence. 3/4 of our first choice defenders from the start of season were missing with injury tonight (Agger, Johnson and Toure). Skrtel had a very good game again. Wisdom did ok defensively but had a nightmare in repeatedly giving the ball away cheaply. He had the same problem last year and I don't want to be too hard on such a young player but he needs to be a lot more comfortable on the ball to play at this level. I think Henderson might be a better option there until Johnson or Kelly are ready. Sakho looked decent on his debut but was culpable for the first goal (maybe for the second too) and went sliding into a few tackles where he missed the ball and took himself out of the play. I think we would have won that with Agger alongside Skrtel.

Gerrard and Lucas looked very static against the movement of Swansea and Gerrard wasted a few Hollywood passes again, but he did make a couple of nice attacking passes. Henderson was only OK and not as good as recent showings. Coutinho offered great movement and interplay until his injury -- I really hope that doesn't keep him out. Moses did very well until he tired, better than I expected, took his goal nicely and set up a great headed chance for Sturridge. Sturridge took his goal well but was pretty peripheral otherwise. He shouldn't drop so deep so often. And he had a couple of frustratingly selfish moments but did make a great run to help set up Moses' goal.

Aspas was ineffectual again. Our squad is so thin. We have no real quality to bring on to freshen our attack. Sterling is still good but has little impact and offers no defensive cover to his full back. This attack will be much more potent with Suarez back; just one more game on his suspension.

Yep, Derby is on Sunday. We made six changes on Saturday against Stoke so I'd expect to see our strongest team out for both games. The main conundrum is that Kompany is back fit - do we risk him tonight and potentially see him hobble off and miss the derby or do we trust our Captain when he says he's fit and throw him into both games? I say the latter. Vinny has earned the trust.

i watched the game from mid-first half last night.

liverpool had periods where they pressed the opposition well, and controled the match.

i loved moses' goal, loved his pass to sturridge even more and overall he should be a great asset this season provided he stays healthy.

sakho had his ups and downs but that's to be expected from a debutant player so i wouldn't judge him too harshly.

when coutinho went off, liverpool's attacking play went right out the window.

i don't like watching teams defending with all 11 players and, as we've seen last night, it won't give results every time.

it's as if rodgers thinks it's illegal to win by a margin of more than 1 goal.

liverpool will get more options once suarez is back in and hopefully they'll stop defending 1 goal lead for an entire half.

i don't like watching teams defending with all 11 players and, as we've seen last night, it won't give results every time.

it's as if rodgers thinks it's illegal to win by a margin of more than 1 goal.

It's a very Mourinho thing to do, and I wonder if his time under the man influenced him. Of course it's rather different when Mourinho teams do it because they tend to have a physical presence and positional defensive solidity that Liverpool, right now, just don't have - plus usually a striker the ball can stick to when played long, a Drogba/Zlatan type. Not so much at Madrid but Ozil did the job well of sitting out just in front of their defensive third and collecting the ball when it came loose so Madrid could counter, which had a similar net effect. Liverpool don't really have either.

But, even though there's something to be said for the notion that Suarez disrupts their team equilibrium (though he works well with Sturridge which helps his case a lot), he can't come back soon enough because Aspas is struggling very very badly. He's the embodiment of everything people say about small technical foreigners coming to the Prem that almost always turns out to be bullshit but in this case is playing out straight so far.

On the other side of the equation, I absolutely love the balance in Swansea's team. It was already good last season, but the new signings have solidified it. The way all their wingers are comfortable either side, plus they time coming inside so well to overload the midfield, leaving the fullbacks to push on, I don't think there are any teams in the league at the moment who do it better.

And the new guys: Bony hasn't got the technical skills, but he works well to give defenders real discomfort, Sakho didn't like him at all - then when Coutinho came off, make the switch, extra body in midfield who can control it and suddenly Liverpool couldn't touch the ball. Shelvey adds a bit of directness and when he irons out the mistakes, I think he'll be top for them. And that Pozuelo fella has incredible feet, he's not played much but early days, he looks a good solid signing. And of course Canas giving a bit more strength in midfield over Ki and Britton. Compare them to Southampton, who have similar sorts of players in terms of talent and technical ability, probably even slightly better, but are a whole lot more chaotic.

They struggled a bit with a tough start but I think they'll do well, and might not struggle with the UEFA cup demands as much as many teams in that position, as they have so many options for rotation.

City and United both to win tonight.

City 2-1, United 1-0.

The City fans are giving it large out in Plzen. About 2000 out there despite only being allocated 600 tickets @ over £80 a pop, those thieving bastards!

Edit: Vinny and Nasty back together in defence. Order restored.

Archived