Football 52: How Many Different Ways Can Commentators Pronounce "Özil"?

Xray the Enforcer

Apparently it's a good day to have a United loanee. Jesse Lingard scores a hatrick by 33 minutes in his Birmingham debut and Macheda's apparently popped one in for Doncaster as well.

Thats good news. Lingard certainly looks to have a bright future and was excellent in pre season. Hope he can come back from his month long loan and make an impact at United this season along with Januzaj.

As for the match: I was visiting my parents and couldn't watch the first 60 minutes. I did see some text-commentary, so I knew we started the match the way we started against Chelsea. Part of me really agrees, I think the team was doing great against Chelsea, and they deserved a to get another chance.

However:

Watching the text commentary, some stats were available. In the first half, we enjoyed some 60+ percent possesion, we had a lot more passes (and a greater percentage completed passes). That was what we had, however. West Ham had more shots, shots on goal, free kicks gained etc. And a goal. Not to forget a goal.

Second half, we get a goal courtesy of Baines. Great free kick. We then proceed to pass. And pass. And pass.

We've substituted Naismith for Oveido This makes sense, really, even if Naismith was brilliant last week. Against Chelsea, his tireless running helped out at the back, and he had a lot of room to run into that Ashley Cole had vacated. Against more defensive teams, he struggles because he doesn't have the technique/pace to beat his man. I would maybe have put on Deufelou, but nevermind.

We've substituted Jelavic for Lukaku, which makes a lot of sense. Jelavic has been struggling for about a year, Lukaku .. not so much.

And we've replaced a struggling-for-form Osman with new boy McCarthy. And we don't create anything.

Right after West Ham go ahead, I see a stat. "Shots total". West Ham has nine. We have, with 60+% possession,

six

SIX

shots. What do we do with the ball, then? Caress it? Try to teach it english? Tell it about the time, in history class, when we glued together the pages of teacher's book? I don't have the answer, other than this: We don't try to score.

Then Mark Noble loses his head (or Lee Mason screws up, my stream wasn't good enough to decide), and we are invited into the game again. Baines says "thank you very much". Then we produce a good attack, where Lukaku shows more desire for goal than the whole team has shown so far this season. Wonderful goal, we're ahead and all we need to do is ride out. Which we manage, thankfully.

I am pleased we're undefeated still, and have won our last two, but I am concerned about our lack of chance creating play.

The thing is I can see what Martinez is going for - it's better to have six good shots than ten bad shots and two good ones - but at the moment (Lukaku aside and he should majorly help) you don't really have the players to do what he's attempting to do. None of the midfielders with the possible exception of Barkley are going to score or even take goalscoring positions too often, and with a situation like that you need really top-of-the-line strikers which obviously you haven't had. Though I didn't see the game today.

However with Lukaku playing, I can see that being a lot less of an issue, as not only will he score himself, but he can help other players get close to goal with his holdup play.

I'm rather surprised Deloufeu hasn't played more than he has. He's young, but he gives real attacking impetus.

That may very well be what he's going for, but it doesn't show yet :)

We do have a few players who can shoot (Mirallas, Baines, Barkley, Osman, Jelavic), but we rarley take shots. I think it's connected to the speed, or rather the lack of speed in our attack. When we reach shooting distance, defense is in place. And shots get blocked. Similarly, good shooting opportunities rarely come by because of lack of movement and slow play in general.

In a way, I think we need to be better at attacking with speed. The following may be totally wrong, and Liverpool fans may crucify me for it, but still: Rodgers preaches the dominate games and death by football thing, but when I see Liverpool (rarely) they look threatening only when they go on the break or go long. Rarely does it get dangerous when they move the ball around a lot before trying to attack (I haven't seen them at all this year, it may have changed). That is what we lack - directness, purpose.

Oh, and Deufelou. Because he's young, Spanish and exciting. That must be positive, right?

So, an era has ended today: For the first time in over 5 years, Barcelona had the ball for less (49-51%) time than it's opponent (they defeated Rayo 4-0). Frankly, that's the most surprising result of the season so far.

You mean besides Mikel scoring :P ?

Not surprised by the Liverpool result today. We didn't create great chances against United or Swansea. Our attacking momentum has been ebbing and then we lost Coutinho. I was hoping we'd scrape another fortunate Sturridge goal to keep us going before Suarez comes back. I was surprised though by the team selection: Aspas was clearly not a good choice here, nor was Sakho at full back. We really miss our attacking full backs and we missed any connection from deep midfielders to the attack. This seemed like a day for Alberto or a more advanced Gerrard or even Allen (if he was fit) in the #10 role. And definitely a day for Enrique at LB. I accept that Toure was the best available RB in the circumstances. We had a few good fast breaks, but didn't look like scoring.

If we had been awarded that penalty (what a incredible miss by the ref, especially coming just a few minutes after he missed a bad foul on Moses) or if Gerrard's free kick was just a little closer to the post, then we probably would have grabbed another 1-0 win.

10 points out of 15 is not bad to open the season. We just need Suarez to come marauding back and add some potency to our attacking play. We have a run of very winnable games ahead if we can just get some goals flowing again.

Watching Match of the Day, Lukaku is so good. What the fuck is Jose thinking?

Yeah, no clue. No clue.

Re: the Mata issue. It's very very frustrating. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yZ51HzMSz4Q this interview makes sense I guess, but I feel like at the moment Mata provides much more quality going forward -- and against teams like Fulham I feel like he's going to be better at breaking them down.

Still MIKEL scored so there's some positives!

Looking forward to super sunday, hopefully it delivers.

Archived