NFL 2013 Week 3 - Oh My God, There's a Fire sale in Cleveland

Howdyphillip

Is there a point to watching Thursday's game?

Last year the Rams gave the Niners a ton of trouble, and at the moment SF is struggling. Playing in St. Louis means this will be a tough game for them, and they risk falling to 1-3.

But maybe that's not what you meant? I expect the game will be ugly, with defenses much better prepared than offenses.

Is there a point to watching Thursday's game?

Well it certainly looked more exciting when the 49ers looked dominant and the Rams looked like a team with a great defense and an offense primed to finally maybe reach some potential. Now it sort of just looks like a fight between two drunk guys who have fooled themselves into believing they know kung-fu.

That said, division games are usually hard-fought and this probably won't be any different.

Well it certainly looked more exciting when the 49ers looked dominant and the Rams looked like a team with a great defense and an offense primed to finally maybe reach some potential. Now it sort of just looks like a fight between two drunk guys who have fooled themselves into believing they know kung-fu.

:lol:

I guess I'm expecting SF to come roaring back to serve notice on the rest of the league and the Rams being unable to do anything about it. Not sure how many blowouts my patience can tolerate watching this year.

:lol:

I guess I'm expecting SF to come roaring back to serve notice on the rest of the league and the Rams being unable to do anything about it. Not sure how many blowouts my patience can tolerate watching this year.

I kind of hope they don't. I love when preseason darlings faulter.

Well, given the thread title, I thought it would be appropriate to close it out on a subject I've thought long and hard about: is Marty Schottenheimer the most underrated coach in NFL history?

His playoff woes are largely related to his greatest weakness as a HC - his conservative playcalling. But it's also largely a matter of some truly awful luck (Earnest Byner's fumble at the goal line, Marlon McCree fumbling a game-clinching interception after being explicitly told by Schottenheimer before the game to go down in that exact situation), and the Legend of John Elway.

His career as a HC started in 1984 when he took over for Sam Rutigliano. The Browns were 1-7 at the time; Schottenheimer went 4-4 in the second half of the season, and 47-27 (.635) over the next eight years. His successor, Bud Carson, would go 12-19-1 (.387) over two seasons.

The Kansas City Chiefs went 4-11-1 in 1988; they also went 4-11 in strike-shortened 1987. Schottenheimer got them to 8-8 in 1989, and would go 101-58-1 (.635) over ten years with the franchise . That's a higher win percentage for the team than Hall-of-Famer Hank Stram (.620). Gunther Cunningham would go an even .500 over the next two seasons before the franchise found success again with the equally old-school Dick Vermeil. (I love Dick Vermeil)

In 2001, he took over a completely dysfunctional Washington Redskins team with Tony Banks at QB, and got them to 8-8. FO's stats rank that team as 3rd in weighted DVOA (that is, by the end of the season, they were playing like the 3rd best team in football, after starting the season as the absolute worst over the first five games). Schottenheimer called this the greatest coaching job in his career, because the team he took over was so dysfunctional that it took all his effort just to get them to even believe they could win a game. Of course, this being the nadir of the Dan Snyder era, he was promptly fired at the end of the season and replaced with... Steve Spurrier, who would go 12-20 (.375) before returning to the college ranks.

In 2002, he took over a San Diego Chargers team that had just gone 5-11 (and 1-15 in the year before). Schottenheimer took them to 8-8 in his first year, before backsliding to 5-11 in his second year of rebuilding. He would be fired in 2006 after going 14-2 in the regular season, as fallout from the infamous Marlon McCree game. His final record in San Diego was 47-33 (.588). Norv Turner succeeded him with a respectable 56-40 (.583) record, but took the opposite trajectory - he started with an excellent team and turned it mediocre.

In the 25.5 seasons as a Head Coach, Schottenheimer had exactly two losing seasons: the 1998 Chiefs (7-9), and the 2003 Chargers (4-12). He finished 200-126-1 (.613) over his career. His 74 wins over .500 is seventh in league history; the first six consist of five Hall of Famers and Bill Belichick. Before San Diego (where he had a young Drew Brees and Philip Rivers), his best Quarterback was a 37-year old Joe Montana; the others were Paul McDonald, Bernie Kosar, Steve DeBerg, Dave Krieg, Steve Bono, Elvis Grbac, Rich Gannon, and Tony Banks.

How else was A.J. Smith supposed to prove that he's the smartest man in the world?

Do Browns fans miss him at all?

Not nearly as much as we miss the hoodie.

"Look everyone. This year wasn't good enough. What is it going to take to get over the hump next year? We're not leaving this room until we have the answer."

"Maybe we need a change of direction. I bet we could get Norv Turner."

"Now there's an idea! How come none of the rest of you thought of that?"

AJ Smith is definitely not who he thinks he is.

Archived