Targaryen love

Nami

And while the kingdoms of the Andals and the First-men stayed pretty much the same, border-wise for thousands of years; the Targs were overthrown in 300. Pretty piss poor rulers too.

Yeah I always have to roll my eyes when anyone crows about the Targs' "impressive" 300-year tenure. The Starks (whose kingdom makes up HALF the Seven Kingdoms), Lannisters, Arryns, Gardeners, etc. lasted for thousands.

Favorite Targs of mine are

Dany

badass trio Aegon, Rhaenys and Visenya (can't get any more badass than these three, bend your damn knee!)

Maester Aemon was a great person

These! I include Jahaerys I, Alysanne, Shiera Seastar, Aemon the Dragonknight, Baelor Breakspear, Daena the Defiant... probably more.

Yeah, half of the Westerosi houses were there when the Valyrians were still mating with sheeps in the holes of Valyrian Penninsula and half of them will be there after the legend of incest comes to its end.

300 years? Not impressed.

Also, nice thread hijack, boys and girls :cool4:

i've always wondered about this business of kingdoms lasting for thousands of years with the same houses intact. given the events in the books, it seems that westerosi politics (like anywhere else) can get pretty rough, so that there ought to have been a lot of overthrowing and civil wars and general mayhem going on. how did it manage to be so stable for so long?

(to be honest, i have to suspend my disbelief a bit.)

i've always wondered about this business of kingdoms lasting for thousands of years with the same houses intact. given the events in the books, it seems that westerosi politics (like anywhere else) can get pretty rough, so that there ought to have been a lot of overthrowing and civil wars and general mayhem going on. how did it manage to be so stable for so long?

Unrealistic writing and bad history records.

Well, it wasn't really stable, was it? House Gardener collapsed and gave way to House Highgarden. Highgarden now has a tense relationship with House Fossoway (there are TWO House Fossoways, mind). The Casterly's lost the Rock to the Lannisters and the Starks warred with the Boltons more than once. The Starks splintered to become the Karstarks.

Before that, the Children of the Forest lost the land to the First Men. Then they both gave way to the Andals.

The seven kingdoms were never stable.

I've always thought that the a lot of the dates in pre-Targaryen history are inaccurate. Barely any maesters, IIRC, actually believe that the Wall is 8000 years old.

Even if the history is off, which I agree it probably is, however long those families have ruled is still multitudes longer than the Targs' tenure. Bear in mind too that just about every major cultural and architectural feature of note in Westeros, barring the shithole that is King's Landing, predated the Targs.

How come that Targaryens are bashed for bragging about the whole dragon thing but Lannisters and Starks get to run around pretending to be lions and wolves and spouting equally pompous slogans? It seems to me that in Westerosi culture basically every noble family associates themselves with some kind of creature or emblem as a symbol of their house. The Targaryens happened to choose dragons because that's what their ancestors used to cross the Narrow Sea -- it doesn't make them unusually arrogant or self-important. The fact that they are a noble family makes them arrogant and self-important, and that's a flaw that you'll see among every single noble family that's worth noting in the series. Doesn't make too much sense to me that Targaryens are singled out for opprobrium.

Samwell Tarly flat-out tells Jon Snow that the histories of Westeros are filled with things like this.

Let's face it -- the Targaryens have 300 years of solid (in terms of documentation), well-historied government. You can't compare that to the vaguely-remembered and implausible stories of ancient dynasties where each king was reigned for a century and there were no wars or civil strife. That's NOT to say that the Targaryens were the best kings -- far from it. But it's a mistake to take stories from the Age of Heroes and use them to support an argument that the pre-Targaryen era was stable and well-managed. As far as I can tell, people are people no matter how far back in time you go. There were almost certainly noble lords and treacherous ones back then just as there were when the Targaryens were in power or when the Baratheons were in charge.

How come that Targaryens are bashed for bragging about the whole dragon thing but Lannisters and Starks get to run around pretending to be lions and wolves and spouting equally pompous slogans? It seems to me that in Westerosi culture basically every noble family associates themselves with some kind of creature or emblem as a symbol of their house. The Targaryens happened to choose dragons because that's what their ancestors used to cross the Narrow Sea -- it doesn't make them unusually arrogant or self-important. The fact that they are a noble family makes them arrogant and self-important, and that's a flaw that you'll see among every single noble family that's worth noting in the series. Doesn't make too much sense to me that Targaryens are singled out for opprobrium.

Because having dragons = cheating. They are weapons of mass destruction and will cause tons and tons of damage and death if they are used. That's all these arguments amount to.

Dragons just equal power. Some people have more power than others. You either deal with it or die.Torrhen Stark submitted to a more powerful force and saved his people. The Field of Fire didn't have to happen. But it did.

Also: :bowdown: to the rest of your post.

Because having dragons = cheating. They are weapons of mass destruction and will cause tons and tons of damage and death if they are used. That's all these arguments amount to.

Dragons just equal power. Some people have more power than others. You either deal with it or die.Torrhen Stark submitted to a more powerful force and saved his people. The Field of Fire didn't have to happen. But it did.

Also: :bowdown: to the rest of your post.

And why would the Stark's warging (and associated Direwolf sigil) not constitute cheating? Don't get me wrong, I love the Starks, but the advantage of being able to turn animals against your opponents is pretty strong too. Not quite dragon level, but still a large advantage - and probably less earned than the Targ dragons, from some perspective.

And why would the Stark's warging (and associated Direwolf sigil) not constitute cheating? Don't get me wrong, I love the Starks, but the advantage of being able to turn animals against your opponents is pretty strong too. Not quite dragon level, but still a large advantage - and probably less earned than the Targ dragons, from some perspective.

I think its because so far the dragons have been an auto-win from what we have seen. It kinda cuts down on the drama.

I don't think it's cheating at all but that's what it's made out to be.

In this world of wargs, greenseers, shadow binders and maegi, dragons are just out of the question and need to be killed, it seems.

Dany has been a wonder because of her dragons but no one ever feared them until the fifth book. Until then, she trump card were her Unsullied.

Yeah I always have to roll my eyes when anyone crows about the Targs' "impressive" 300-year tenure. The Starks (whose kingdom makes up HALF the Seven Kingdoms), Lannisters, Arryns, Gardeners, etc. lasted for thousands.

And yet they still bent the knee. Well, not the Gardeners...

Aegon saw it true; one kingdom. Uniting all the peoples of Westeros will be the legacy of the Targaryens. If it took a little fire and a little blood so be it.

When a Stark rules Westeros at the end of the story, as I believe will be the case, it will be the same kingdom that Aegon envisioned, more or less. Then all of the people of that kingdom will be Stark men!

And yet they still bent the knee. Well, not the Gardeners...

Aegon saw it true; one kingdom. Uniting all the peoples of Westeros will be the legacy of the Targaryens. If it took a little fire and a little blood so be it.

When a Stark rules Westeros at the end of the story, as I believe will be the case, it will be the same kingdom that Aegon envisioned, more or less. Then all of the people of that kingdom will be Stark men!

Racial cleansing FTW.

Archived