Targaryen love

Nami

Yes, but why? I'm asking you to explain why the country is better off for having the Targaryens come in and take over. And please don't feed me the "peace" bunk unless you can show that any pre-Targ conflicts had the same death toll as the Field of Fire, Redgrass Field, failed invasion of Dorne or the Trident.

Unity. To quote myself: Humans learning to overcome their differences and work together vs humans separating into smaller groups of us, and more groups of them.

By the way, I knew you wouldn't want any of the peace bunk, so I ate all of it myself. I feel kind of bloated now though. Lots of empty calories. ;)

Unity. To quote myself: Humans learning to overcome their differences and work together vs humans separating into smaller groups of us, and more groups of them.

Thousands of charred corpses would probably prefer that "unification" was not forced by the Targs.

By the way, I knew you wouldn't want any of the peace bunk, so I ate all of it myself. I feel kind of bloated now though. Lots of empty calories. ;)

But they're not that united. Notice how everyone's identity still hinges on their house or their overlord or their region. They still think of themselves as Reach men or Tully men or Stark men or Vale men. There's no real nationalism going on here.

But they're not that united. Notice how everyone's identity still hinges on their house or their overlord or their region. They still think of themselves as Reach men or Tully men or Stark men or Vale men. There's no real nationalism going on here.

I agree, exept when they are in Essos. Jorah for example doesnt think about himself as a northener, and everyone from westeros is refered as westerosi. Even among themselves, as in the Golden Company.

I agree, exept when they are in Essos. Jorah for example doesnt think about himself as a northener, and everyone from westeros is refered as westerosi. Even among themselves, as in the Golden Company.

Yes, that's true. But as you said, that's really only the case when they're abroad.

But they're not that united. Notice how everyone's identity still hinges on their house or their overlord or their region. They still think of themselves as Reach men or Tully men or Stark men or Vale men.

Agreed, but it's a process. The 7K have only existed for about three centuries now. As has been mentioned, that's a short period of time compared to the Andal/First Men kingdoms.

It might even be that it's not meant to last for thousands of years like the old kingdom of the North. Maybe the Conquest was just a necessary prologue to upcoming War for the Dawn sequel.

Thousands of charred corpses would probably prefer that "unification" was not forced by the Targs.

And the same happened with the First Men and the Andals after them. People come and they conquer. It happens. The Targaryens were not the first.

ETA:

The Darklyn kings of Duskendale had tried to impose their rule on Crackclaw Point; the Mootons of Maidenpool had tried as well, and later the haughty Celtigars of Crab Isle. But the Crackclaws knew their bogs and forests as no outsider could, and if hard pressed would vanish into the caverns that honeycombed their hills. When not fighting would-be conquerors, they fought each other. Their blood feuds were as deep and dark as the bogs between their hills. From time to time some champion would bring peace to the Point, but it never lasted longer than his lifetime. Lord Lucifer Hardy, he was a great one, and the Brothers Brune as well. Old Crackbones even more so, but the Crabbs were the mightiest of all. Dick still refused to believe that Brienne had never heard of Ser Clarence Crabb and his exploits.

The First Men came, the Andals came, then the Targaryens.

Aegon's Landing is just one instance of a recurring cycle.

Though the Dothraki call Ser Jorah, "Jorah the Andal". I thought the Mormonts were blood of the first men (tho' the name does sound Andal-ish).

How is Westeros better off with Targaryens coming and bringing more war to it, and dragons lol. And they don't even have the diehard sort of loving support the Starks had, nobody really looks to reinstate them out of affection for the old Targ dynasty.

The best Targaryens were probably the ones that are dead; I dislike Dany (its more her fans on Facebook and social media I can't stand at all lol), I really dislike Rhaegar (again its more his fans I can't stand with the whole romance theme), hate Aerys who was a nutjob and a bad person all in all. The dead Targaryens seemed cool though.

I like the Targaryens because they led to the unification of the SK, decreasing the number of wars between the Kingdoms.

I think I have too many favourite Targs: Visenya, Jaehaerys I, Alysanne, Daena, Aemon the Dragonknight, Brynden Rivers, Baelor Breakspear, Maekar I, Aegon V, Dany.

Favourite Targ?

Shiera Seastar.

The last of the Great Bastards, the daughter of a notorious essosi lady, born with a defect that only made her more beautiful, she loved reading and she owned a large library(Book lovers are so few in Westeros. Her love for reading makes her even more special. Along with Sam Tarly, Maester Aemon, Rodrik Harlaw, Tyrion Lannister, she is one of the few characters that loves to read. And the only woman. ).

Even though she was beautiful she never married, declining any offers. But that didn't stop her from having an affair with her half-brother Bloodraven.

While the love between Daenerys and Daemon was partly what caused the Blackfyre Rebellion, Shiera's presence fueled the rivalry between Bloodraven and Bittersteel.

How is Westeros better off with Targaryens coming and bringing more war to it, and dragons lol. And they don't even have the diehard sort of loving support the Starks had, nobody really looks to reinstate them out of affection for the old Targ dynasty.

How is Westeros better off with Baratheons bringing war and devastation just to sit their ass on a throne?

At least the Targs united the 7K, RR was just for Robert to usurp the throne and lead the realm to corruption, bankruptcy and future civil wars

I like the Targaryens because they lead to the unification of the SK, decreasing the number of wars between the Kingdoms.

I think I have too many favourite Targs: Visenya, Jaehaerys I, Alysanne, Daena, Aemon the Dragonknight, Brynden Rivers, Baelor Breakspear, Maekar I, Aegon V, Dany.

While increasing the number of conflicts within the kingdom by the same amount...

How is Westeros better off with Baratheons bringing war and devastation just to sit their ass on a throne?

At least the Targs united the 7K, RR was just for Robert to usurp the throne and lead the realm to corruption, bankrYouptcy and future civil wars

Do you think there were no civil wars in Westeros during the Targaryen reign?

Hell, Dance of the Dragons is probably worst war in Westeros history. And Targaryens "brought war and devastation just to sit their ass on a throne".

I just have to point out that out of all the major kingdoms we know about, House Targaryen seemed to be wiped out the quickest.

The Starks have ruled for like, 8000 years right?

The Arryns, Lannisters and other former royal houses have existed for thousands.

Hell, many noble families are thousands of years old at this point. Why were the Targs wiped out so quickly?

The answer is because they are fucking grandiose idiots.

And why is it worse to have smaller instead of larger groups of people, especially in this context? As far as I understand, the only practical change that came with the IT is that there were more taxes, in order to uphold a court larger than all the other courts. Excellent progress.

Archived