What about krakens?

Lady-Nymeria

Because in a world with seasons lasting decades, dragons, creatures made of ice, zombies, and fire gods krakens are completely plausible

And huge turtles. Don't forget huge turtles.

But yeah - Krakens are probably a real deal.

I find the sea beast really neat. Along with Nagga. The bones are proof of its existence.

Not so much.

Nagga had been the first sea dragon, the mightiest ever to rise from the waves. She fed on krakens and leviathans and drowned whole islands in her wrath, yet the Grey King had slain her and the Drowned God had changed her bones to stone so that men might never cease to wonder at the courage of the first of kings. Nagga’s ribs became the beams and pillars of his longhall, just as her jaws became his throne.

They're just rocks.

I remember some other dragons that were just rocks. 'The ages have turned them to stone, but they will always be beautiful'...

I interpret Nagga as essentially an enormous, awe inspiring fossil.

It does bring to mind

"For a thousand years it [weirwood] has not shown a leaf. In another thousand it will have turned to stone, the maesters say. Weirwoods never rot."

the ribs of Nagga rose from the earth like the trunks of great white trees

I think it is possible that Nagga's bones are actually a grove of dead weirwoods.

Krakens are coming for 3 reasons:

1) every other far fetched creature is real as of the last book, so no longer can we hold krakens back by saying they'd be too unbelievable.

2) Aeron Damphair needs them to justify his existence. If he doesn't call forth a Kraken, then we've had to endure his POV for no reason. And I believe he wouldn't have been inflicted on us unless there was some vindication for him on the way. (Victory over Euron's attempt to take the Drowned God's people astray).

3) The true rulers are the Greyjoys, we know this because they're the POVs, and their mascot is the Kraken. So if they are to show to everyone's satisfaction, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that they and not Euron are the ones who deserve the silly SeaChair, then the best proof is to pull a kraken out of their hat and sic it on Euron's fleet to smash his reign to smithereens.

• 3 weeks later...

1) every other far fetched creature is real as of the last book, so no longer can we hold krakens back by saying they'd be too unbelievable.

2) Aeron Damphair needs them to justify his existence. If he doesn't call forth a Kraken, then we've had to endure his POV for no reason. And I believe he wouldn't have been inflicted on us unless there was some vindication for him on the way. (Victory over Euron's attempt to take the Drowned God's people astray).

3) The true rulers are the Greyjoys, we know this because they're the POVs, and their mascot is the Kraken. So if they are to show to everyone's satisfaction, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that they and not Euron are the ones who deserve the silly SeaChair, then the best proof is to pull a kraken out of their hat and sic it on Euron's fleet to smash his reign to smithereens.

Yes! If the Damphair pulls this off it would be fantastic. Don't know where that would leave us, but who cares!

Oh, I would love it so much if GRRM realized this idea ... Aeron's existence as POV-character would then be reasonable. It just became my favorite imagination to see "a dance with dragons and kraken". :leer: ^_^

• 3 weeks later...

I'd love to see Damphair summon a Kraken to do his bidding, but instead it eats him and destroys the Ironborn fleet.

I've always thought Mel's vision of the towers crumbling into the sea might relate to this. Wouldn't be surprised if he destroys Pyke with a Kraken.

I have no idea of how the Damphair could summon a kraken, but I love the idea. The Arianne sample chapter even had a mention Kraken pulling down broken galleys. That could be some foreshadowing of their future use!

But I don't get why the Damphair POV seems to be so unpopular. In my mind, he's a quite mysterious character, his religion is fascinating, and there are interesting events surrounding him (loved the Kingswood).

It does bring to mind

"For a thousand years it [weirwood] has not shown a leaf. In another thousand it will have turned to stone, the maesters say. Weirwoods never rot."

the ribs of Nagga rose from the earth like the trunks of great white trees

I think it is possible that Nagga's bones are actually a grove of dead weirwoods.

:agree:

Only Naggas ribs have survived I think and it could be a fossil or a whale skeleton. But most likely to my mind is that they are petrified wierwood. Perhaps even shaped to look like the mythical Naga. History is full of people recreating lost artifacts only for future generations to confuse these with the real deal.

• 2 weeks later...

I am completely convinced that krakens will make an appearance in what is to come, although i'm not a fan of the possibility that Aeron will be able to summon and control them, i would much rather the sea be dangerous for all who choose to travel upon it, and what of the kraken horn? I cant remember which house is said to have one, Celtigar i think, if they have such a prized possession at their disposal, do you think that it will make an appearance? and to what gain?

Archived