2.0 New TWOW Sample Chapter to be Released 10/29

Stark Revenge

Great news for those that bought Dance on iBooks as all you have to do is update your book and the new chapter is in there! Guess they are not trying to bleed us out for our money quite as much as we thought. Sorry if that has already been shared

I was so excited, but alas, my copy does not update with the chapter. Perhaps because I have a first generation iPad? Apple is no longer supporting it with updates, and maybe my iBooks software is too outdated to accommodate it? *sighs*

At the end of Tyrion II,

Brown Ben returns. Melessa (ph) wants them to defend a Wicked Sister. Tyrion crudely points out that the girl has nicer breasts. And at that point, a Yunkai nobleman rides up. Tyrion approves of the depraved scene depicted on his armor, but his news is less welcome. The nobleman swears vengeance on the Prince of Tatters and Tyrion mocks him. Brown Ben defends Tyrion from the nobleman until Jorah runs the Yunkai nobleman through.

Seems like the Tattered Prince was alive enough to piss someone off (took up Barristan's deal, rescue miss for the hostages, or etc.).

To whoever discovered that is was available to those who bought it on iBooks, I greatly appreciate it. Hearing an overview of the chapter is one thing, reading it word for word is another. As I write this I feel as I did when the last episode of season 3 ended, yearning for the next season, or book in this case.

I was so excited, but alas, my copy does not update with the chapter. Perhaps because I have a first generation iPad? Apple is no longer supporting it with updates, and maybe my iBooks software is too outdated to accommodate it? *sighs*

Same problem here. What can we do except wait for the information to come to us from other users.

It was an interesting read, I really enjoyed it. I really appreciated that it was shorter than we have gotten accustom to.

I thought this was a fun bit:

When Barristan says "It is the hour of the wolf. The longest, darkest hour of the night" It's probably why the last book was originally titled "A Time for Wolves". The battle for dawn is going to be long.

My memory may be a little foggy on the subject, but it seemed to me like the last Barristan chapter in ADWD the plan was that the two Dornishmen were going to negotiate for help from the Prince's band of mercenaries as well as attempt to get the hostages freed. Something like that. Maybe the Barristan I mention is a continuation of this?

Presumably there's some connection.

In aDwD, Ch.70 "The Queen's Hand", the proposed mission is to deliver a message to Tatters ... that "We'll pay his price [=Pentos] if he delivers us our hostages, unharmed and whole."

It is unclear, from that alone, why the mission is so critical. Personally, I cannot get excited about rescuing Daario, though perhaps I am missing something.

In the new sample chapter, however, it becomes quite clear that the Tatters mission is quite critical, though it remains unclear why.

Barristan is about to lead a sortie at sunrise, a sortie which he would consider folly were it not for his desperation. At least one goal of the sortie is to disable the trebuchets that are hurling diseased corpses into the city, and the threat of the "pale mare" is the source of his desperation. In this context he thinks:

This is what it has come to, my queen[...]. Our fate's hinge upon a sellsword's greed. Your city, your people, ourlives ... the Tattered Prince holds us all in his bloodstained hands.

Then the text adds

Even if their best hope [=Tatters?] turned out to be a forlorn hope, Selmy knew that he had no choice.

So whatever critical result he expects to derive from the Dornishmen's mission to Tatters, he apparently hopes it will somehow materialize during his desperate sunrise sortie from the city gates.

Seems like the Tattered Prince was alive enough to piss someone off

Of course, since "The Tattered Prince" is essentially a distinctive costume seen at a distance, as well as the reputed leader of a large body of men, that does not necessarily require the original Tatters to be alive at all.

Apparently things are unfolding as follows:

Barristan I: Barristan is preparing to make a sortie, and hopes for some critical result to occur involving the Tattered Prince.

Barristan II:

The sortie. The excerpt that was read ends with the arrival of Victarion's fleet, but nothing critical has yet occurred involving the Tattered Prince.

Tyrion II:

Tyrion learns of the arrival of the Ironborn at about the midpoint of the chapter summary - so this probably coincides in time roughly with the end of the Barristan II reading. Then, Viserion disappears from the sky. Later, a Yunkish nobleman rides up who is furious at the Tattered Prince, for some unknown reason.

Conclusion

Apparently, something critical has indeed occurred involving the Tattered Prince -- something so critical that it rivals in importance the arrival of the Ironborn. Something Tyrion apparently could not observe. This is the same period in which Viserion also disappeared. It is conceivable that whatever occurred, involved both Viserion and "Tatters".

Of course, since "The Tattered Prince" is essentially a distinctive costume seen at a distance, as well as the reputed leader of a large body of men, that does not necessarily require the original Tatters to be alive at all.

Apparently things are unfolding as follows:

Barristan I: Barristan is preparing to make a sortie, and hopes for some critical result to occur involving the Tattered Prince.

Barristan II:

The sortie. The excerpt that was read ends with the arrival of Victarion's fleet, but nothing critical has yet occurred involving the Tattered Prince.

Tyrion II:

Tyrion learns of the arrival of the Ironborn at about the midpoint of the chapter summary - so this probably coincides in time roughly with the end of the Barristan II reading. Then, Viserion disappears from the sky. Later, a Yunkish nobleman rides up who is furious at the Tattered Prince, for some unknown reason.

Conclusion

Apparently, something critical has indeed occurred involving the Tattered Prince -- something so critical that it rivals in importance the arrival of the Ironborn. Something Tyrion apparently could not observe. This is the same period in which Viserion also disappeared. It is conceivable that whatever occurred, involved both Viserion and "Tatters".

Slightly off-topic, but if the Tattered Prince does something important, and it is important that Daario is a prison in that event and that Tatters is separate from Brown Ben, it could make things very problematic for the tv series, which seems to have cut out Brown Ben altogether. I guess they could change it up to combine Brown Ben and Tatters, making Tyrion a direct witness to the important thing that Tatters does, but still...

Slightly off-topic, but if the Tattered Prince does something important, and it is important that Daario is a prison in that event and that Tatters is separate from Brown Ben, it could make things very problematic for the tv series, which seems to have cut out Brown Ben altogether. I guess they could change it up to combine Brown Ben and Tatters, making Tyrion a direct witness to the important thing that Tatters does, but still...

I guess depending on how the story goes in Mereen battle, and how essential the Brown Benn is they can either combine him with some other character - like Tatters or even Daario, or introduce him later - the fact that he has not been cast yet does not meen they can't cast him in Season 5 - just like they delayed introduction of Reeds and Tullys.

But Barristan's last chapter in aDwD begins with the sentence

And the tattered prince wasn't present during the attempt to steal the dragons. So when would he be burned? And how would Quentyn have healed from his wounds. From his chapter we know he's on fire...

So I don't see much potential for this theory...

The tattered Prince not being there is an issue. But QM is supposed to have dragons blood. We know he was burning, but so was Dany when she flew out of the fighting pits so maybe he was burnt but unhurt. This is complete conjecture on my part. Until i read this thread it never even occurred to me that QM might still be alive.

The tattered Prince not being there is an issue. But QM is supposed to have dragons blood. We know he was burning, but so was Dany when she flew out of the fighting pits so maybe he was burnt but unhurt. This is complete conjecture on my part. Until i read this thread it never even occurred to me that QM might still be alive.

Dany's burns did hurt her though. And there's a difference with having minor burns on your hands, and having been burned all over your body. He was standing in one of the dragons flames.

This point of view has been epxressed before by others on this board, and was received with absolutely no sympathy (I believe it was someone whining "why can't I get to hear a reading at a con in the US just because I live in Europe").

I don't often post here, so I wouldn't notice, but why exactly do you have no sympathy? It's hardly the same as whining about not getting to hear a reading at a con in the US, as not every American would get to hear that reading either, you'd have to actually go to the con. I'm a loyal fan, who has spent a lot of money on ASOIAF and I'm yet to be presented with a reasonable reason as to why I'd be forced to import another edition of the book if I want to read the latest sample chapter (don't worry, I'm not that desperate). I know it's only 7/8 pages, I'll get over it, but I just see no good reason for not being able to read it right now.

Archived