US Politics: Catholic Suicide Bombers?

The guy from the Vale

I think that the converse is also pretty worrisome for Democrats. The government shutdown nonsense hit Northern Virginia really hard. I heard on NPR this morning that there are 180,000 federal workers in Virginia, and that's not counting all the civilian workers who also are affected by a shutdown. The fact that any republican could come close after that clusterfuck says that Cuccinelli's "Obamacare Obamacare Obamacare" message was somewhat successful. Now, a year from now the websites should be working (right?!) but if all the stories about Health Care are bad for Democrats, 2014 could be a really really rough election.

I quite agree with you. I am pretty pissed that the Obama administration has fucked up the ACA rollout to this degree. Not just in the implementation of the website and exchanges, but in the messaging and the setting of expectations.

I get the feeling that if Ken had won the Democrats would have the same conspiracy going on.

Are you taking a B.S story, declare how it must be false because of the awesome voter's laws are now due to laws pass by R Va. Legilsators which are in truth awfully Draconian. Than use this new found moral superiority to state that the voter purges that occured will be some conspiracy due to Cuccinelli losing.

Must be a slow morning.

I get the feeling that if Ken had won the Democrats would have the same conspiracy going on.

And they might have been onto something considering the poll numbers the last few weeks but really, railing against voter fraud has been the GOP's bag for several years now. There are still some members of the Republican party who believe Obama stole the 2008 election thanks to ACORN.

And they might have been onto something considering the poll numbers the last few weeks but really, railing against voter fraud has been the GOP's bag for several years now. There are still some members of the Republican party who believe Obama stole the 2008 election thanks to ACORN.

Hell, there are Republicans who believe that Obama stole the 2012 election thanks to ACORN, despite the whole fact that it hadn't been in existence since 2010 and multiple different state attorney generals and the GAO had investigated them and cleared them of any wrongdoing before they filed for Chapter 7.

But hey, you know what they say about denial...

Note that I did that I laughed at the conspiracy.

You dismissed the conspiracy, but suggested Democrats would be taking such conspiracy theories seriously if they'd lost, while ignoring that, for the last few election cycles, it's been the Republican Party that hyped up fears of voter fraud in order to prevent Democratic demographics from voting.

Note that I did that I laughed at the conspiracy. And there are more than 180,000 federal workers in the Northern VA area. The number is closer 400,000.

I understand that.

However, wholly unprovake you preceded to take that shot at Democrats. It seem one was a set up.

I am sure the level of voter after the laws are the same as before the laws since voter fraud was very small to begin with. The purpose of the laws is to surpress the number of voters.

I think that the converse is also pretty worrisome for Democrats. The government shutdown nonsense hit Northern Virginia really hard. I heard on NPR this morning that there are 180,000 federal workers in Virginia, and that's not counting all the civilian workers who also are affected by a shutdown. The fact that any republican could come close after that clusterfuck says that Cuccinelli's "Obamacare Obamacare Obamacare" message was somewhat successful. Now, a year from now the websites should be working (right?!) but if all the stories about Health Care are bad for Democrats, 2014 could be a really really rough election.

I take the opposite view. The fact that Democrats could win in Virginia while running a so-so (at best) candidate tells me that almost any Democrat is competitive in a state that used to be considered solidly red. That's a good thing for our side.

You dismissed the conspiracy, but suggested Democrats would be taking such conspiracy theories seriously if they'd lost, while ignoring that, for the last few election cycles, it's been the Republican Party that hyped up fears of voter fraud in order to prevent Democratic demographics from voting.

And for good reason since turnout always favours the Democrats.

It is a pretty common springboard to being one of the US Senators though, including both our current ones. Although they are both quite popular and unlikely to retire anytime soon, so that trend may end for a while.

That's kind of what I've been thinking. Robb and the original Warner were in for a loooonnnnngggg time.

KG

I understand that.

However, wholly unprovake you preceded to take that shot at Democrats. It seem one was a set up.

I am sure the level of voter after the laws are the same as before the laws since voter fraud was very small to begin with. The purpose of the laws is to surpress the number of voters.

I agree with everything here except "wholly unprovoked". Someone had posted to the effect of "what else do you expect when it was a Republican who lost?" If that wasn't the intent, it was a reasonable interpretation. Original remark seems lame to the point of being self-defeating, but it makes sense someone might object.

To be fair, Republicans having doing most of the complaining about elections in the last couple years because Republicans having been losing a lot of big elections in the last couple of years. When Bush was reelected in 2004, a lot of Democrats were passing around conspriacy theories about voting machines in Ohio, myself among them.

To be fair, Republicans having doing most of the complaining about elections in the last couple years because Republicans having been losing a lot of big elections in the last couple of years. When Bush was reelected in 2004, a lot of Democrats were passing around conspriacy theories about voting machines in Ohio, myself among them.

There were a number of concerns raised about Diebold, the ease with which their machines could be tampered with, and their well-documented favoritism for the Republican Party before the election. Call it crazy if you must, but that wasn't merely sour grapes after a lost election.

KG

I agree with everything here except "wholly unprovoked". Someone had posted to the effect of "what else do you expect when it was a Republican who lost?" If that wasn't the intent, it was a reasonable interpretation. Original remark seems lame to the point of being self-defeating, but it makes sense someone might object.

Not with recent history being part of the historical record. As mentioned above you have to go back 10 years to find examples of Democrats talking about voter fraud. Republicans have been using it as a potential excuse for losing in the last several elections. They created laws that have purged thousands of voters from the rolls (38,000 in Virginia alone) and its not a coincidence that the majority of those laws are designed to make it more difficult for students, women and minorities to register. I think it's Texas that allows gun registration as valid ID at the voting booth but not a student ID.

So there very much has been voter fraud being perpetrated, but as per usual when it comes to Republicans whining about something, they are the main culprits of the acts they're whining about.

There were a number of concerns raised about Diebold, the ease with which their machines could be tampered with, and their well-documented favoritism for the Republican Party before the election. Call it crazy if you must, but that wasn't merely sour grapes after a lost election.

Yeah, and considering how Diebold has recently been charged with with bribery and falsifying records in other countries, it wouldn't surprise me at all to discover John Kerry was the legitimate winner in 2004.

But just like in 2000, the vast majority of Democrats got over it and moved on. They didn't start changing laws.

This result isn't really a reflection of anything save the poor candidates that the major parties chose. Bill Bolling would have wiped the floor with McAuliffe, but the GOP screwed him out of the nomination, I don't think the Republicans even had a primary this year.

Too bad Sarvis didn't crack that 10%. Although I'm certain that even if he had, the major parties would have tried to screw the LP as per usual- for example, Sarvis actually had to collect 16,000 signatures to get on the ballot instead of the 10,000 required by law. I'm already hearing that "Sarvis cost us the election!" from my die-hard TEA Party associates. Well, it ain't so. Cuccinelli cost you the election, bro.

One thing that puzzles me is that Obenshain & Herring are so much closer than Jackson & Northam. I understand why Cuccinelli's numbers are the way they are- some moderate Republicans voted for Sarvis or wrote in Bolling. But many who voted for Obenshain must have also voted for Northam for the numbers to make sense. There will be a recount here, we won't know who the AG is until December.

The teahadists got teabagged HARD by the establishment republicans this election ............. it was glorious to behold as the chamber of commerce refused to fund Cuccinelli at all and the RNC only gave 1/3 of what they gave to his predecessor. Lol, how did you like them nuts, teahadists?

I see that the Virginian teahadists are already blaming each other for the defeat ........ hahaha yes go get those libertarian traitors teahadists!

I understand that.

There are many posters here who take shots at Republicans all the time. Get over it.

The teahadists got teabagged HARD by the establishment republicans this election ............. it was glorious to behold as the chamber of commerce refused to fund Cuccinelli at all and the RNC only gave 1/3 of what they gave to his predecessor. Lol, how did you like them nuts, teahadists?

I see that the Virginian teahadists are already blaming each other for the defeat ........ hahaha yes go get those libertarian traitors teahadists!

Losing an election by 2% isn't getting tea bagged hard.

Now the Dems in New Jersey got tea bagged hard.

Losing an election by 2% isn't getting tea bagged hard.

Now the Dems in New Jersey got tea bagged hard.

I'm not sure you understood the content of his post at all.

He's saying they got fucked by the establishment GOP because the teabagger candidate was just too crazy to be worth supporting.

Archived