where is the gold of Winterfell?

Dead Wolf

Manderly in ACOK asks proposes building a fleet for Robb, and asks for the gold to build ships. When the Manderlys came north "The wolf king took their gold but let them keep their gods." Ramsay sacked WF but when soldiers are being murdered in the castle the Boltons only offered one dragon for the killer's name. If Ramsay had taken all that gold they would have been able to offer more. The Starks may not have been as rich as the Lannisters or Tyrells, but they were wealthy enough to buy glass for the Glass Gardens, which Jon mentions is costly. Where is the gold of House Stark?

It is my understanding that there is little gold in the North, I have not heard of any mines north of the Neck and all the wealth of the North seems to be tied up in silver. When Manderly printed the Stark coinage he used silver, and when Reek went out to find men for Theon, the Prince of Winterfell gave him a sack of silver. Not saying the North isnt as rich as the South in pure monetary value, but it is all silver instead of gold. The Manderly quote asking for "gold" probably just meant "Money"

Ok. So where is the silver?

That's a mystery that turns up every once in a while. I don't think there's an answer. It's my understanding that every major House must have a decent amount of gold and/or silver or whatever.

Wouldn't Robb take cash on hand with him; and it not all of it, at least a good portion. Also, is it that big of a deal?

What makes you think Winterfell is rich?

Sansa does a lot of complaining about going without things that her vision of what a princess is should have.

I'm pretty sure Cat very early on in GoT complains about the cost of hosting the entire Lannister entourage.

They have a very small number of retainers, soldiers, craftsmen, household staff.

WF has to cover a huge area with little or no funding from KL (at least in Neds time).

And finally, Robb waged a war across half the continent. War costs money. If WF had any gold then it is surely gone by now.

Skoboe,

1. The lack of things that Sansa enjoys doesn't necessarily mean the Starks couldn't afford them, it's just not thought of as worth having/a necessity in the North.

2. Again, the Starks live a much more frugal and simplistic life than the Lannisters - her complaining about the cost doesn't necessarily mean they can't afford it, just that she doesn't think it's worth it. I mean, don't you think a millionaire would laugh if you tried to sell them a loaf of bread for £100?

3. Do they need these things?

4. A lot of that area is self-sufficient. Definitely the clear majority.

5. This is true.

The North was never going to be rich, but I imagine it's partly down to the Starks being happy with the status quo. Still, I'd love more of an inside view on what's going on up there.

Yep - agree that frugal does not equate to poor sometimes, but the Stark family took 'frugal' to extremes going by the POV chapters based in WF.

Either looted by the Boltons, or hidden somewhere in Winterfell. Maybe the crypts holds more than dead Starks...

But if Ramsay took all that gold, wouldn't it have come up in his conversation with Roose? Also, if they had a large sum of gold, why not offer more money for the name of the killer in WF

There has to be some. Not a ton, but a respectable amount of both gold and silver. Theon and/or Ramsay must have found it. It would be implausible for them not to.

I am surprised Ramsay didn't yell "Save me the gold and the Freys, burn the rest!" at the end of ACOK. It must have just gone unsaid - even he isn't crazy enough to ignore a jackpot like that. If it is now in Bolton hands (really the only reasonable explanation) that gives them another advantage over the rest of the North

Archived