Grave of the Fireflies
Battle Angel Alita
Princess Mononoke
Blackrock Shooter
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Angel Sanctuary
Blood Of The Immortal
Blame!

and some more, which I forgot right now...

Nobody mentioned Puella Magi Madoka Magica?

Go watch it. It's pretty short (12 episodes) but manages to pack in a story, characters, and an emotional punch. It's really great stuff.

Madoka Magica is just great. Especially when you expect a cutesy magical girl anime... It's not. It's dark.

Also, this is an AMV that I really like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ8JRfsurt4&list=PLBwrHqmt7LqZ0uOeDFBmXD8UCoaYeXMu8&index=2

Just finished Clannad/After Story, and damn.... the tears :crying:

A shame they didn't explain the ending properly... Felt very Deus ex Machina-like. :dunno:

Madoka Magica is just great. Especially when you expect a cutesy magical girl anime... It's not. It's dark.

Also, this is an AMV that I really like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ8JRfsurt4&list=PLBwrHqmt7LqZ0uOeDFBmXD8UCoaYeXMu8&index=2

A shame they didn't explain the ending properly... Felt very Deus ex Machina-like. :dunno:

Basically, Nagisa at one point mentions that when people achieve happiness, a green light appears. According to the legend, if you collect

enough of them you get a wish, so Tomoya (by helping others) collected enough of them to make a wish.

• 1 month later...

Excited for the new series of Ghost in the Shell. Still my favorite anime of all time personally. Here's trailer... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmlakdSH3G4

I am a bit upset that Origa won't be singing the opening credits apparently. How could you change that formula. Half of what set the mood for the show were her melodious tones. Really will miss that. Hopefully they get her back when they release the English version.

1st Gig opening

2nd Gig opening

Arise opening

I don't really like the way they're drawing Motoko this series either. She looks like an emo boy. Her hair looked so much cooler in the last two series'. That will take more than some getting used to. She's never looked like this before. You don't need to change a winning formula. I know that Motoko's demeanor and behavior was always said to be more serious and thoughtful than the manga, but I always felt it melded better with the philosophical mood of the series which is what I've always liked about the anime. Hope this stays. Crazy emotional Motoko doesn't make sense to me for an android detective/spec ops soldier trying to find the meaning of life. Fine on print, but probably looks a bit silly on screen.

Found this thread today and was like this is awesome and really useful, 30 seconds later I realized I started it :drunk:

Watched Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Wind for the first time last week, I didn't enjoy it, it doesn't really age well I suppose in comparison to other HM classics.

• 8 months later...

Started a new anime tv show "Psycho-Pass". I'm 6 episodes in and enjoying it.

The setting is unique to say the least however so far I've found that the narrative and characters are average at best, so I hope it will improve.

(It's hard to explain the major concept that drives the show so I've just copy and pasted straight from the wiki)

Psycho-Pass is set in 2113. The Sibyl System is actively measuring the populace's mental states, personalities, and the probability that individuals will commit crimes, using a "cymatic scan" of the brain. The resulting assessment is called a Psycho-Pass. When the probability of a person engaging in crimes measured by the Crime Coefficient index exceeds a certain level in an individual, he or she is pursued, apprehended, and killed if necessary.

I've been watching the 3 Berserk movies that were released the last few years.

I wasn't familiar with the franchise, but I did like these films. Looked better than the 90's anime to me.

'Having watched the 3rd film, I am now seeking out the later manga collections in the US to see if that advances the story beyond the end of film 3. I think they do.

Archived