Favourite Anime Movies/TV Shows?

andrew_

grave of the fireflies. That's all I can think of atm

no no no no noooooooooooo!

It's gorgeously animated, is from Studio Ghibli... but dear lord you are gonna be depressed and in serious need of a drink for weeks after!

but yeah, how about some Satoshi Kon works? Paprika, Tokyo Godfathers, Millennium Actress, the 'magnetic rose' segment of Memories OAV, Perfect Blue....

man was a genius at creating mindfucks. Beautifully drawn, well written, intersting mindfucks!

I don't think it does, it is however probably my favorite cartoon series of all time, with Legend of Korra making the top 10.

Man the first season was ok, but I think the technological advancements is what is runing the show, its just not the same.

no no no no noooooooooooo!

It's gorgeously animated, is from Studio Ghibli... but dear lord you are gonna be depressed and in serious need of a drink for weeks after!

but yeah, how about some Satoshi Kon works? Paprika, Tokyo Godfathers, Millennium Actress, the 'magnetic rose' segment of Memories OAV, Perfect Blue....

man was a genius at creating mindfucks. Beautifully drawn, well written, intersting mindfucks!

Though I mentioned paprika which I'll admit is actually the only movie he's made that I've seen, any recommendation on which of those I should watch next?

Though I mentioned paprika which I'll admit is actually the only movie he's made that I've seen, any recommendation on which of those I should watch next?

well, I kinda recommend them all ^^; Its all about what you're in the mood for

Memories - an OAV (or is it a movie?) from the 90s, made up of 3 separate SciFi shorts (each has its own director and all) Kon's contribution is Magnetic Rose, which focuses on an opera singer ... in a spaceship graveyard?

Perfect Blue - a pop idol tryin to change careers (break into acting), a crazy stalker ... the whole thing is very Hitchcock thriller

Millennium Actress - setup like an interview with an aging actress, her movies and her life bleed together into fantastic visuals

Tokyo Godfathers - Xmas story with a trio of homeless people finding a baby

If you're going to watch Grave of the Fireflies, I'd also recommend Barefoot Gen (though probably with a healthy break in between). It's also set during WW2 but focuses on the atomic bomb dropping in Hiroshima. The bomb going off is probably the most memorable scene in anime I've seen. I was in Hiroshima recently and after coming home and watching it again, now noticing a lot of the landmarks, it's even more chilling.

And I guess I'd recommend Naruto, because I didn't catch anyone else mention it. I was put off watching it for ages as I thought it was just a silly thing for kids, but by the time I had gotten to the end of season 2, I was kicking myself for not starting it years ago. I think it strikes a superb balance between the light-hearted stuff, the intense emotional moments, and the kick-ass action. I didn't care much for the film though (only seen the first one).

Best movie: Princess Mononoke / Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

Best TV series: Cowboy Bebop!

Apparently there's going to be a live action movie of Cowboy Bebop with Keanu Reeves set to play Spike Spiegel, but I haven't heard any news about this for such a long time now. Good, I guess, because I can't imagine a green-haired Keanu Reeves.

I also recently watched Only Yesterday (another Studio Ghibli product but this time directed by Isao Takahata, who directed Grave of the Fireflies). It's very nice, too. What's so good about Studio Ghibli is that they manage to produce films that are fantasy, and films that are as mundane as possible. It's a fine balance.

Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo (Dat soundtrack) and Evangelion are my all time top 3, but I haven't watched that much anime at all.

Other than those I've watched Death Note, Bleach (Got sick of it after the first couple of story arcs), Naruto (Got sick of it after a while also), Avatar if that counts and some of Deadman Wonderland. I watched like two episodes of Gurren Lagann before losing interest.

I've been meaning to try Black Lagoon and Grave of the Fireflies. I keep hearing how awesome they are. Just started Attack On Titan this weekend with a friend who kept telling to watch it. Only about 6 episodes in but it's crazy so far.

Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo (Dat soundtrack) and Evangelion are my all time top 3, but I haven't watched that much anime at all.

everyone brings up Bebop and Champloo (Bebop set the bar for a decade), but why does nobody mention Michiko & Hatchin!?!?!

Its another crazy ride, in a stylized Brazil with a kickass soundtrack and much ass-kicking to match! Watanabe actually holds a rather different job in this series too - creative music producer!

Cowboy Bebop will probably always be my favorite. It was one of the first animes I ever saw back in the early days of adult swim or possibly even before and I still get that "I'm 13 and up after midnight" feeling when I watch it today. Attack on Titan is a new series I've been enjoying quite a bit. There's something really viscerally terrifying about the concept of gigantic humanoids that just want to eat you. Fi-Fy-Fo-Fum.

If you decide to go with common recommendations like Berserk, Claymore, Gantz or Elfen Lied (all Seinen "adult" rather than Shounen "boys/teens" - meaning that they're all extremely bloody and at times depressing), be aware that they are animated adaptions, that while popular, move pretty far from the manga that they're based on, being very short and IMO far inferior to the original material (especially in the case of Berserk, my favourite manga; the 90's anime is decent but skips tons of important details and ends after the first big arc. The brand-new movie triology is crap though, and was a huge disappointment).

Gantz is maybe the exception since the manga gets weirder and weirder and ends with a quick and disappointing climax, but I'd still say the popular anime adaptions for all these manga are very lacking.

Archived