Is Blackfish (Brynden Tully) a homosexual?

Zephyr Winters

His personality of course, he is a dutiful man and I would also call him honorable. In short, the kind of man who would dislike brothels.

If he was dutiful, he'd have married when Hoster asked him to, that's one of his main duties as a noble.

As for honorable, I don't think it's considered dishonorable for a single man to visit brothels.

There is a possibility that he is asexual.

And what if his alias "Blackfish" means something deeper? Black as in the dark of having to be in a closet, desires hidden away for the sake of public appearance. Black as in he is different from the rest of the fish (Tullys), for having desires that do not match their own?

Are you implying GRRM is a homophobe or that you have to be a pervert to be gay? Hmm? Hmmmm?

Ok first of all this wouldn't make GRRM a homophobe anyway. Second of all he has a very clear personality for gay characters. Renly and Loras need no comment, Umber got exposed because he had a man whore, Oberyn has several bastards from many different women (imagine how much he'd have if assholes could give birth), Littlefinger showed Corbray is a pedophile, etc.

Robb Stark?

So he liked his nephew. Totally gay :rolleyes:

Are you implying GRRM is a homophobe or that you have to be a pervert to be gay? Hmm? Hmmmm?

Did you start this thread to ask this? Fine, I'm out.

"wow wow wow since when are Renly and Loras perverts"

Like it or not they would have been scene as perverts in Westeros. That homosexuality might have been tolerated among highborn nobles if they were discreete does not mean that the society accepted their sexuality or that there would not have been some rather bad jokes made about known homosexuals.

As for Blackfish there are tidbits of information that make you think he might be gay, but that's it, further there seems to be no reason why his sexuality will come into the plot anymore then it already has. Whether he is gay or not I really do not think there is a need or a GRRM wish to dwell on the Blackfish's sexuality.

Jaime Lannister is just like the Blackfish. No marriage, no brothel visits, and only one female companion ever. The Blackfish may have had a true love once and had no desire to be with anyone else.

Jaime Lannister is just like the Blackfish. No marriage, no brothel visits, and only one female companion ever. The Blackfish may have had a true love once and had no desire to be with anyone else.

Also Barristan and many other members of the King's Guard. Just because you can control your sexual impulses in name of your honour doesn't mean you're asexual. Maybe the Blackfish thought it was more important to vow his entire life to Riverrun instead of having a wife and kids. And Jaime got it right, he had nothing to lose during the siege, he had no family to think about.

Also Barristan and many other members of the King's Guard. Just because you can control your sexual impulses in name of your honour doesn't mean you're asexual. Maybe the Blackfish thought it was more important to vow his entire life to Riverrun instead of having a wife and kids. And Jaime got it right, he had nothing to lose during the siege, he had no family to think about.

Who is to say Barristan isn't homosexual himself? Two old, celibate men who have never taken an interest in girls? The chances of both being asexual and/or no-women-all-duty men are very low. I hadn't thought about Barristan but he does fit into the same category as Blackfish. We already saw that GRRM made Loras be one of the best knights while also being a homosexual, and he is known to be a feminist. I wouldn't be surprised if he pulls a Dumbledore on us with either of those two old men.

Who is to say Barristan isn't homosexual himself? Two old, celibate men who have never taken an interest in girls? The chances of both being asexual and/or no-women-all-duty men are very low. I hadn't thought about Barristan but he does fit into the same category as Blackfish. We already saw that GRRM made Loras be one of the best knights while also being a homosexual, and he is known to be a feminist. I wouldn't be surprised if he pulls a Dumbledore on us with either of those two old men.

Barristan had an infatuation during his youth. Barristan is like Ned, their honour is first than anything like lust or desire. Young Ned probably has never had other woman than Cat in his whole life. No one would call him homosexual or asexual during his youth because he wasn't a chic magnet like Brandon. That's what duty means to him: a wife and loyalty to her.

I really don't get this whole "ohh.. he has to be asexual" thing that I see recently everywhere in every fandom and it's a bit annoying. I've had many friends who haven't had any kind of sexual liaison nor infatuation for years due to many other reasons like work, studies or even family but they identify as straight males who like women. The implication of your post is that if a character is not some man who makes a explicit use of his sexuality among women he's completely the opposite: he has no desires or he's gay. A man it's either Tyrion or Renly. If I'm sent to another country to study and I spend five or more years there only focussing on finishing my career, then it's ok for others to assume I'm asexual? People would be right thinking I'm secretly gay because I don't talk openly about my previous flirts? Human sexuality isn't black and white nor people should jump so easily to make judgements.

Look at Littlefinger: he had a young love, Cat. He couldn't have her and he then devoted himself to achieve a different goal. As far as I know, no one can tell if he had another woman, either a mistress or a whore. If we hadn't known his past history with the Tullys, many readers would thought he's "asexual" or "gay" until the Sansa chapters. Can you see how misleading this things are?

So, about the Blackfish, there is not enough evidence to assume anything about him. He's not a pov character, nor his love life has been discussed like Robb's or Edmure's have been. We only know he didn't want to get married. A lot of man nowadays don't want to get married, that's a bunch of duty and compromise there than he probably doesn't want. After all, Hoster was the Lord and he had a son. He has no more duties except Riverrrun.

And, while I did love HP and JKR, the whole "Dumbledore's coming out" was stupid. It looks more like JKR was trying to please fans rather than actually making sense.

Didn't Barristan seem to have a thing for Ashara Dayne at one point? That doesn't prove anything necessarily, just evidence that at one point he probably was attracted to girls.

Archived