Is Blackfish (Brynden Tully) a homosexual?

Zephyr Winters

There is a scene in the last season with a few girls looking at Brynden and smiling. He turns around, notices them then immediately turns away clearly uncomfortable. I always wondered why that was added to the episode.

I think it's because the girls are Frey and they aren't exactly his favourite crowd

Not getting married doesn't prove much.

The only other evidence I can come up with would require me to wade into the treacherous waters of stereotypes. From my experience of gay men they really are better on average at interior design. I've also known gay men to be kind and nurturing. Although there certainly are nice guys in the breeder communty. This only matters because in AGoT Cat says that growing up she and her sibs all took their sknned knees to Uncle insted of Dad.

So a kind man who doesn't want to get married. Hardly conclusive, but there's this. When straight men avoid marriage it's generally because they don't want the responsibility of a family. I don't think that's BFs problem.

• 1 month later...

I can't believe I'm really writing something in a thread about the sexuality about a character...

I know a lot married men that despise brothels. I know men that never married, but are not homosexual.

We know a character who married a woman and was still homosexual.

And not all men are comfortable with women eyeing them.

I really see no evidence for your assumption, sorry.

If he dislikes both brothel women and women fit for marriage, then isn't GRRM implying he is a homosexual?

No, he is not. He is implying he has not married and does not frequent brothels. That is all. The Blackfish could be asexual or he could simply choose not to have sex. He could have had a lover (male or female) who died, there are any number of explanations other than "He's GAY!"

He doesn't shy away from war and battles and the company of men. I am sure you think that is a fish comment on my part, but seriously, if we see it in a logical fashion it would fit in with the theory that he does prefer the company of men.

I can't recall there being anything in the books about him prefering the company of men. He's a warrior. He's grown up to be a warrior, he's been one for his entire life. Are you saying Barristan is gay now, too ?

I doubt he is asexual, his battle prowess is testimony of his testosterone and testosterone is what makes men's desires click.

Asexuality is quite a bit more complicated than simply a lack of testosterone (if it were, we could simply give them injections if they wanted to, of course). Indeed animal studies seem to indicate that the hormone levels are normal. What makes men tick is (surprise surprise) quite a bit more complicated than that one particular hormone (which also exists in females, by the way).

I really doubt that he's a gay (lol). Or at least, there isn't any evidence to suggest he is. Unless you think a lack of evidence to suggest he's heterosexual qualifies as evidence of him being homosexual. Which doesn't seem particularly logical.

Anyways, I'd be happy to share my theory on the Blackfish being a trigender glamoured pansexual who just happens to have a male body (but will soon be undergoing Westeros' first sex change operation) if anyone's interested

Anyways, I'd be happy to share my theory on the Blackfish being a trigender glamoured pansexual who just happens to have a male body (but will soon be undergoing Westeros' first sex change operation) if anyone's interested

Will it be magical in nature or an operation by Dr. Ramsay ?

Archived