Is Blackfish (Brynden Tully) a homosexual?

Zephyr Winters

sure but build this stuff in the text , don't jump out of the closet in our faces like that , it feels wrong to me :dunno:

Rowling was asked a question about it and she answered it honestly, it isn't like she held a press conference to out Dumbledore. Even Potter bashers should acknowledge Dumbledore is a well written character, and this definitely adds to his character. She could have not revealed information, and said only the text should speak, but people really like knowing this sort of thing, most authors end up revealing things like this.

I know I'm getting this thread off topic, but it's kinda crap, I count zero quotes from text. It's just like a girlie chat, baselessly speculating on someone's sexuality. I personally think he's a biromantic asexual generally, but there's a small amount of sapiosexual when you see how good he is at battle plans, he's smart so he must like smart people.

Somewhere long time ago I read that it was nice to be Prince Harry: he has all of the good stuff that comes with being a Prince, but zero of the obligations. It's the same thing with Blackfish. He's brother of the Lord of Riverrun, he has respect, the name, the richness and the power. Why would he marry? He has no obligations to d o it.

Dude, Dumbledore's clothes...

Then the whole wizarding world is gay...

I actually have four different head canons for the BF:

1. He's asexual and aromantic and unwilling to compromise his nature or tie a woman to himself when he knows he cannot satisfy her.
  2. He was in love with Cat's mother and still is.
  3. He's not attracted to women and is unwilling to compromise his nature or tie a woman to himself when he knows he cannot satisfy her.
  4. He was disillusioned by Hoster's treatment of Lysa and never forgave his brother. His moving to the Vale and refusing to marry is his way of defying his brother.

He was disillusioned by Hoster's treatment of Lysa and never forgave his brother. His moving to the Vale and refusing to marry is his way of defying his brother.

Not only am I not sure that he would care (the way he pressures Edmure and especially how he expelled the smallfolk out of Riverrun give me the impression that he wouldn't), but I am also pretty sure that he alienated himself much earlier than RR. He got his nickname shortly after the WotNK.

Who is to say Barristan isn't homosexual himself? Two old, celibate men who have never taken an interest in girls? The chances of both being asexual and/or no-women-all-duty men are very low. I hadn't thought about Barristan but he does fit into the same category as Blackfish. We already saw that GRRM made Loras be one of the best knights while also being a homosexual, and he is known to be a feminist. I wouldn't be surprised if he pulls a Dumbledore on us with either of those two old men.

Why do you assume that the Blackfish is celibate? Because he hasn't married or his sexual proclivities haven't been openly discussed? As others on here have said I think it had a lot more to with Brynden wanting to dictate his own future rather than Hoster doing it for him. There is a bit of a rogue in the Blackfish, part of me thinks he was obdurate just to piss Hoster off.

Tywin hated Brothels and whores as well.

What's the deal with needing to find out who is gay and who isn't in the books? Do people walk around the street asking everyone if they are gay or not? If Martin wants it known he will put it out there. Until then I can do without a Blackfish sex scene. "His fat pink trout sprang from his breeches, diving into the waiting wetness of her/his dark wet cave. He grunted like an elephant that ate to much fiber, his partner panted like a dog who had eaten to much raw chicken. Milk sprang from his nostrils, where it came from who can say." Thanks but no thanks.

Tywin hated Brothels and whores as well.

What's the deal with needing to find out who is gay and who isn't in the books? Do people walk around the street asking everyone if they are gay or not? If Martin wants it known he will put it out there. Until then I can do without a Blackfish sex scene. "His fat pink trout sprang from his breeches, diving into the waiting wetness of her/his dark wet cave. He grunted like an elephant that ate to much fiber, his partner panted like a dog who had eaten to much raw chicken. Milk sprang from his nostrils, where it came from who can say." Thanks but no thanks.

I don't understand why people get so defensive about these sort of topics. I mean, folks can spend pages debating how Tormund vs Drogo would play out or how a combined Stark-Tyrell force would fare against the Lannisters but suggesting that a not-minor character may not be heterosexual gets people's hackles up.

Barristan had an infatuation during his youth. Barristan is like Ned, their honour is first than anything like lust or desire. Young Ned probably has never had other woman than Cat in his whole life. No one would call him homosexual or asexual during his youth because he wasn't a chic magnet like Brandon. That's what duty means to him: a wife and loyalty to her.

I really don't get this whole "ohh.. he has to be asexual" thing that I see recently everywhere in every fandom and it's a bit annoying. I've had many friends who haven't had any kind of sexual liaison nor infatuation for years due to many other reasons like work, studies or even family but they identify as straight males who like women. The implication of your post is that if a character is not some man who makes a explicit use of his sexuality among women he's completely the opposite: he has no desires or he's gay. A man it's either Tyrion or Renly. If I'm sent to another country to study and I spend five or more years there only focussing on finishing my career, then it's ok for others to assume I'm asexual? People would be right thinking I'm secretly gay because I don't talk openly about my previous flirts? Human sexuality isn't black and white nor people should jump so easily to make judgements.

Look at Littlefinger: he had a young love, Cat. He couldn't have her and he then devoted himself to achieve a different goal. As far as I know, no one can tell if he had another woman, either a mistress or a whore. If we hadn't known his past history with the Tullys, many readers would thought he's "asexual" or "gay" until the Sansa chapters. Can you see how misleading this things are?

So, about the Blackfish, there is not enough evidence to assume anything about him. He's not a pov character, nor his love life has been discussed like Robb's or Edmure's have been. We only know he didn't want to get married. A lot of man nowadays don't want to get married, that's a bunch of duty and compromise there than he probably doesn't want. After all, Hoster was the Lord and he had a son. He has no more duties except Riverrrun.

This. Some people don't seem to get that human sex drives come in widely varying intensities. Some people feel like they need to have sex every day or they're going to die, some people can go without for a few months before getting testy, some can go without for any length of time but are still happy when they do get it. Just because a person is capable of going without sex doesn't mean they don't want it at all. Like anything else that people want, sex is something that means more to some people than others, and gets weighed against other priorities.

I don't understand why people get so defensive about these sort of topics. I mean, folks can spend pages debating how Tormund vs Drogo would play out or how a combined Stark-Tyrell force would fare against the Lannisters but suggesting that a not-minor character may not be heterosexual gets people's hackles up.

If GRRM says tomorrow that BF, Jon, Jaime, Edmure, Asha, Sansa and Illyrio are all gay I have no problem at all with it. It's, after all, his story, his rules, his characters and his universe.

What I personally don't like it's the obsession with trying to find who is homosexual like some sort of gay Waldo hunting in every book or tv show because apparently, it's some sort of obligation to society to include a gay character. If such character isn't obvious represented, then it's the looking for "clues" and "hints" that are so apparently obvious to some but end up being nothing but clichés and stereotypes about what being gay is to some people. "So, he's not married, he's soooo gay".

I don't imply OP is the same, but I've known of so many "fans" who do this also do it in real life: they're always trying to find out who is gay and who is not. Why? No freaking idea, it's not their business: like I said in a preview post, it's kinda rude to go around pointing "he's gay/he's not" to people.

he's a gay fish

(bad south park joke)

I didn't know the BF liked fish sticks.

my pet theory is that he dreamed of the white cloak , and had hopes when the rebellion broke but after he got skipped he kept it up just to annoy Hoster :D

That is my theory as well. When you compare him to Barristan both won renown for their feats in the War of the Ninepenny Kings, and refused the matches given them.

Robert's KG was assembled with politics in mind not qualification and skill , that's how you get Jamie and his oafs there , having said that it was political , the tullys were in the bag already and a kg position might have even been taken as a slight by Hoster (like how tywin took it ) since edmure was still very young at the time and the black fish was the tully's only other heir in case anything happened to edmure .

people like to give Hoster lots of shit for the lysa stuff but i like the man , he seems to have been savvy and did the best he could

To that I'll add that they typically look for young men to join the KG, and the BF was older than Robert. He probably felt that ship had sailed long ago, but I think he may become the LC of Jon's KG in the end.

Archived