Who in here actually likes Georges way of describing setting, food, clothing, etc.

lightbringer2525

I know a ton of people knock GRRM for being a little "too" descriptive sometimes, but I actually think it enhances my time reading the books. I always get so completely absorbed into these books that I completely block out my sorroundings, and everything. Just ask anyone who tries to talk to me when I'm reading them. I think a lot of this has to do with the fact that there is just so much to read on every page. He sets scenes, and describes what you're reading so well that I literally feel like I'm there. I will admit that he focuses maybe a little too much on food sometimes, but he said himself that he likes his readers to have all of their senses going when they read his books, so I can't really fault the guy for doing what he intends. I just want to know who else feels this way? I just feel like he gets some misguided backlash for it sometimes. If it wasn't for his heavy description, I don't think the books would be as absorbing or good.

I love it because it's clues and foreshadowing.

Want an example: Theon before he meets his father for the first time in ten years is wearing a black top with a kraken on it, while his breeches were soft grey with white trim. Making its appearance being that of a half Kraken and half direwolf he's a blend of the two, seeing as he's spent half his life in both places.

Another one, Tyrion's garb when he's with the Fat man and when he's sewing his costume aboard the sloe eyed maid. IT's arbor garb when he's with the fat man and when he's with Jon connington it's house Tyrell and House Connington green and yellow, red and white striped pants. It's interesting and if you look close enough you can see some foreshadowing it's not his way of having a foodgasm.

• 11 months later...

Honestly I want to cook some of the food described. And mmmmm... garlic!

However, "Fiery Dornish peppers" got redundant fast.

But I may be hypocritical... because I don't mind everything always "swimming in butter." Mmmm.... butter...

Settings can be annoying, if you know stuff about fashion (I certainly don't) then understandably stuff about clothing may be annoying, but I never get why people give such a big shit about the descriptions of the food. The way some people talk you think they might wish the books were five pages long.

That makes me think whoever wrote it never actually read asoiaf.

Pøh.. I find it kinda accurate if you look at it with 'stereotype-glasses'. The reason for why I find it accurate is also one of the reasons I love ASOIAF.. GRRM shows us the history of the world casual rather that just saying: here is the story, read it, and come back and read the main story. (Or well.. not was TWOIAF is released its kinda different, but you get the point)

The food descriptions don't bother me, I think it adds to the story. I find it's interesting to see what people eat in the different parts of his world. Some of the clothing descriptions in Dany's arc confuse me, I still don't know what a 'tokar' is, but even so, the clothing descriptions add to the characterizations.

The food descriptions don't bother me, I think it adds to the story. I find it's interesting to see what people eat in the different parts of his world. Some of the clothing descriptions in Dany's arc confuse me, I still don't know what a 'tokar' is, but even so, the clothing descriptions add to the characterizations.

I think a tokar is George's version of a toga.

Archived