Jon's Progression Into a Morally Darker Character

Roddy the Ruin

Throughout the series Jon has gone from a whiny bastard from Winterfell, to a Man of the Nightswatch, to a Commander. But for the most part, he has been a steadfast beacon of morality throughout the series. His only real questionable moral decision has been in threatening Gilly. Other characters like Daenerys, Jaime, Theon, and Arya are all very grey characters where Jon has retained his moral purity for the most part. I for one think we are in for a drastic change in his character. I think when he is resurrected or brought back from the brink of death, he will be an angrier, and harder man then he was before. His assassination will have likely made him feel betrayed, and make him lose his current temperament. GRRM has been quoted saying he hated how when Gandalf came back as Gandalf the White, he hated that he became a better person. He though that death would make someone angrier and darker, as he has demonstrated with his resurrections. I think one of Jon's first actions once he is back will be to brutally hunt and execute Marsh & Co. . I also think he will be the one to kill Ramsay, maybe through Warged Ghost, and he won't be quick and tidy about.

Also, as I side note, if Jon was to get Cannibal it would fit well with his new darker persona, and his older one. A dark outcast, strong and violent.

Oh, I'm all for it, he's been a boring beacon of blandness for too long. I want him to wipe his arse with the Night's Watch neutrality now that he's been betrayed and pursue his heart's desire:

“It’s death and destruction I want to bring down upon House Lannister, not scorn.” Jon lifted up the letter.

Jon for Night's King 2.0!

We can hope, we can hope

I want him to lead the Others into Westeros or sit back and doing nothing pointing them in the direction of the Dredfort, the Twins, Casterly Rock and Kings Landing.

Ah, you see, all his meetings with Stannis and how he used him to wage his proxy war against the Boltons are foreshadowing and training of Jon manipulating the leaders of the Others in the same fashion.

I hope he does not become morally dark. There are good guys in the world and I hope there are good guys in the series. If everyone becomes morally dark by the end of the series, that's a rather depressing end where bad triumphs over good. What's the message? That it's the Tywins and LFs who will always win? We have had 5 books of everything going to shit for the good guys and if the books end with even the good guys becoming morally dark, that sucks.

I hope the few morally good guys (Jon, Brienne, Davos) manage to hold onto their humanity and innate sense of right and wrong till the end of the series.

I think Jon is one of the few people in the series who will ultimately be shown to have been played straight the entire time. I think he'll definitely get darker after his assassination, but I don't see him ever becoming "black," for lack of a better word. And really, in a story where everyone is an asshole, it's the good guys who are ultimately the breath of fresh air. I don't see Jon as "bland" so much as I see him and Davos, Brienne, etc. as lighthouses of humanity in a sea of shit.

If Jon does become grayer, I hope it's in a pragmatically ruthless sense. I hope that, perhaps during his catabasis, he has an epiphany about what needs to be done, and becomes the "hard man for a hard time." It's only by finally killing the boy that he can actually complete his ultimate mission. And to do that, he will no doubt have to make some less-than-pure decisions. But I don't see him going full-on bad.

I hope he does not become morally dark. There are good guys in the world and I hope there are good guys in the series. If everyone becomes morally dark by the end of the series, that's a rather depressing end where bad triumphs over good. What's the message? That it's the Tywins and LFs who will always win? We have had 5 books of everything going to shit for the good guys and if the books end with even the good guys becoming morally dark, that sucks.

I hope the few morally good guys (Jon, Brienne, Davos) manage to hold onto their humanity and innate sense of right and wrong till the end of the series.

This, exactly.

Bran, Jon and Stannis are the only big characters that are seeing the bigger picture. They are dark, as everybody else since they follow and end justify means logic. However, they are the only ones doing it for a greater good and not just for their own selfish motives as lust, own honour, family, power or glory.

In ASOIF terms this makes you as less darker as you could be.

(sniped for space)

GRRM has been quoted saying he hated how when Gandalf came back as Gandalf the White, he hated that he became a better person. He though that death would make someone angrier and darker, as he has demonstrated with his resurrections. I think one of Jon's first actions once he is back will be to brutally hunt and execute Marsh & Co. . I also think he will be the one to kill Ramsay, maybe through Warged Ghost, and he won't be quick and tidy about.

Also, as I side note, if Jon was to get Cannibal it would fit well with his new darker persona, and his older one. A dark outcast, strong and violent.

I think GRRM has demonstrated this with Beric & Catelyn (Lady Stoneheart) she was never my favourite character but I can see some truly dark deeds coming in her Arc.

Also Jon may not die, IMHO he warged into Ghost as they are stabbing him keeping his (soul, essence, spirit) in tact until his physical body can (hopefully be resurrected) therefore come out of it with his moral compass intact.

Jon has become a darker character because he's a leader now. Leaders have to make decisions that others don't, and those decisions are often conflicted and even morally questionable. Pretty much everybody with any kind of power have ended up having doubts and questioning their own movements. Except of course, those who are total psychos like Joffrey, Aerys, Tywin and Roose: Joffrey and Aerys were plain cruel and mad and the latest two tried to justify their actions in their own minds. The rest of sane characters have realised that they have ended up doing things they would rather not doing. Power is a curse, I don't know why everybody is fighting over it. Ok, I know but, you know what I mean.

So, when Jon returns, if he leads the battle against the Others, we will have to make even tougher decisions and maybe become even darker . And if he is ever set to be a King or anything like it, it will be worst.

I'm all for Jon coming back a darker character. Not a bad guy but not the "nice" good guy that's he's been.

I almost see him as having the opposite reputation of his far famed father "Rheagar" whom was the "Perfect" Prince.

Ruling isn't a right it's a duty and in the course of doing one's duty one sometimes has to get there hands dirty, that's just the way the game is played and while Jon has been spared some tough moral decisions because the plot demanded that he be at the Wall. The time for being on the fence is over, Winter is here and if he's not ready then the world will fall.

I can also total see Jon becoming similar to Michael Corleone from the Godfather. He wasn't a bad guy per se, but that doesn't mean that he didn't have blood on his hands. HE used his ambition and power to protect his family and if there is one think that Jon will do anything for it's his family. In the first book, he starts off as this kid not involved in the Family business, to being dragged into the family business, to being groomed because his older brother was killed and his other brother was an idiot, and he was more like his father. To by the end of the book, he's standing in church becoming the Godfather to his nephew by his sister to ordering a well excuted mass murders of his families enemies and "paying his debts" to his brother's killer his brother in law. Not to mention that they already share some of the same personality traits already, quiet, introverted, ambitious, wanting to please their fathers, both have some military training, smart, ruthless and not afraid to get their hands dirty from pulling to trigger on a cop or swinging the sword of justice on Slynts ass.

Throughout the series Jon has gone from a whiny bastard from Winterfell, to a Man of the Nightswatch, to a Commander. But for the most part, he has been a steadfast beacon of morality throughout the series. His only real questionable moral decision has been in threatening Gilly. Other characters like Daenerys, Jaime, Theon, and Arya are all very grey characters where Jon has retained his moral purity for the most part. x

I disagree with this. In the 5th book I find a lot of what he does morally questionable. Letting an army of wildlings through the wall without even conferring with anyone else in the area, sending a bunch of his (depleted) force of men on a suicidal mission to rescue a bunch of their wildling enemies in the far north wight-infested lands, letting Val and Mance Rayder go despite being enemies of the realm and prisoners of Stannis just because he decides he can trust them and worst of all using his own personal wildling army to go after the Boltons (who definitely have it coming but it's still totally against everything the Night's Watch stands for and the oaths he swore.) At the end I felt he had brought on his own death in a similar way that Robb did and I hope he doesn't rise from the dead in some kind of cheesy way.

Archived