[Book Spoilers] Nitpick With Impunity

Nami

As I added in my edit, the wall would seem a much more viable choice for someone who is facing either death or a trial by combat against the mountain.

And wouldn't they have a champion to fight for them?

Also seems off how it was taking place in a capitol city in mid day,

It's bad practice simply put.

I wouldn't think Tywin would permit such a thing.

So you have to also assume it's happening without him knowing.

Blagh

It was an alright episode, but alas, as usual there were some glaring shortcomings, most of which have already been mentioned in this thread. I have to say though, the whole Rorge and Biter scene was so bad it actually made me snigger. I don´t know if it was intended to be comedy, but that´s certainly how it ended up. In fact it was so bad that it became funny to the point of almost excusing its initial ridiculousness. Really bizarre.

- "your sister" v. "Only Cat"

- the effects apparently were taken up by Ghost being seen for 4 seconds

- Rorge/Biter...Rorge standing there like a post

- Hounds dagger after he jams it into the wounded guy - not deep enough for the motion he took/sound it made

- no giant breaking down the castle

- Dany/Daario having no chemistry

Jon Snow could use those "criminals" at the wall. Scene made NO sense.

I agree, and also it's bad politics to which Tywin would likely not have agreed to as Hand, as he would have made use for them ie. Wall. Cersei has no power to make these sort of decisions at this point in time.

I also didn't like how Only Cat was handled, Lysa should have just slipped out the door instead of doing that overly dramatic scream, because she should have just been heartbroken and in shock at being played this this after she done so much for LF.

I laughed every time Arya's sword went "SCHWIIIING!". It's sheathed in a small leather strap, what could possibly be making that sound?! Even normal scabbards don't go "SCHWIIIING!"

To make that sound the scabbard needs to be made out of metal. Which would be terrible for the sword and dull it every time you sheathe it.

Oh... whatever.

I have to say I have not much to nitpick about this episode because it is very similar to the books compared to last few episodes. Even the filler stuff like Dragonstone was okay. The nothing is nothing was stupid and Jon Snow knows nothing, but other than that it was great.

I quite liked this episode. My minor complaints would be that Red Dress should be wearing her ruby and why not "only Cat"..if they think the audience is too stupid to remember who Cat is, they at least could have had him say "Your sister, only Cat".

-wanted "Only Cat" but I gueeeeeeess "Your sister" was safer for any idiots who might be like wait who? Far out.

-I used to be okay with how Dany talked to Daario but it's getting old. And DAMMIT show them getting it on! This better not be because of Emilia's not wanting to appear naked anymore. C'MON.

-KHALEESI?! I tried telling myself Jorah is calling her this as a cute little throw back to when they first hung out but without knowing if that's true I'm just mad at the writers.

-Things escalated maybe a little too quickly between Sansa and Robin. Just a few more lines or something would've helped I think. (I'm so glad they kept the snow Winterfell though).

-Brienne just annoys me slightly for some reason... not sure what. Kind of hoping Pod will be saying "yes/no m' lady" a little less soon.

-Arya and that dying dude went on for too long I think. The "nothing is nothing" line was less cringey for me than when we first saw it in the Ice&Fire Foreshadowing but eh I dunno.

The 180 of Jon sealing the gates was a head-shaker but moreso for me, the Mountain scene.

It was so bad for me that I literally giggled through the whole scene... Just terrible and silly and not at all remotely good.

Dany didn't go naked, and we didn't see the sex scene. Seriously HBO? You throw in so many pointless and gratuitous sex scenes that when one comes up that's actually relevant to the story and characters, you just essentially do a fade to black? Maybe it sounds a little pervy, but I was actually looking forward to seeing that scene. It's not as if the ladies would be annoyed either. We saw Daario take his stuff off. This episode was a very short 51 minutes, why not just include their sex scene to add another couple of minutes? Unlike the others it's actually relevant to the story and characters.

Ok, I realize that last nitpick is a bit dumb, but oh well. A man can have his hopes.

I think Emilia Clarke was the actress who said she wouldn't do any more nudity scenes.

I think Emilia Clarke was the actress who said she wouldn't do any more nudity scenes.

A gratuitous nude scene is one thing, but this is supposed to be a super physical lustful relationship and we see nothing? Not a kiss or an embrace or anything? LOL, they must have zero chemistry in person as well as on screen.

I love the new Mountain but the scene doesn't make any sense to me. That's the type of thing Gregor might have done in the Riverlands, away from Tywin. Not right under his watchful eye.

Didn't like Cersei stepping through gore and watching pure slaughter casually either. She's supposed to be squeamish.

Rorge and Biter was dumb. Two of the most fearsome characters in the books handled with more ease than Gregor took down those random peasants. They came off as drunks, not psychopaths.

Arya Stark, the fastest draw west of the Narrow Sea

Jon Snow is still a sullen boy. Throws a little tantrum when denied anything. Where is the growth? Odd choice having him argue for sealing the gates. Maybe Ser Alliser will take Donnel Noye's place and die in the tunnel.

Dany shows no emotion when suprised in her bedroom. Dany shows no emotion when having spontaneous sex. Dany doesn't emote when she admits mistakes. Dany is a block of angry, fireproof wood at this point.

I liked the scene but why does Oberyn need to either discuss or be in a brothel in every appearance?

Brienne is a jerk. All she does is belittle everyone she comes across. Why should anyone like her as a person? Can anyone see this character breaking down because she views herself as a disappointment to her father? Like Dany, there is no vulnerability in this portrayal. And, also like Dany, that takes away an essential element of characterization.

Sansa came off as a child. We still have no idea why anyone would ever like Littlefinger.

Are there still Wildlings south of the Wall? Is Bran alive?

I love the new Mountain but the scene doesn't make any sense to me. That's the type of thing Gregor might have done in the Riverlands, away from Tywin. Not right under his watchful eye.

Didn't like Cersei stepping through gore and watching pure slaughter casually either. She's supposed to be squeamish.

Rorge and Biter was dumb. Two of the most fearsome characters in the books handled with more ease than Gregor took down those random peasants. They came off as drunks, not psychopaths.

Arya Stark, the fastest draw west of the Narrow Sea

Jon Snow is still a sullen boy. Throws a little tantrum when denied anything. Where is the growth? Odd choice having him argue for sealing the gates. Maybe Ser Alliser will take Donnel Noye's place and die in the tunnel.

Dany shows no emotion when suprised in her bedroom. Dany shows no emotion when having spontaneous sex. Dany doesn't emote when she admits mistakes. Dany is a block of angry, fireproof wood at this point.

I liked the scene but why does Oberyn need to either discuss or be in a brothel in every appearance?

Brienne is a jerk. All she does is belittle everyone she comes across. Why should anyone like her as a person? Can anyone see this character breaking down because she views herself as a disappointment to her father? Like Dany, there is no vulnerability in this portrayal. And, also like Dany, that takes away an essential element of characterization.

Sansa came off as a child. We still have no idea why anyone would ever like Littlefinger.

Are there still Wildlings south of the Wall? Is Bran alive?

BBM--It's hard to see how after that scene anyone can champion Emilia's acting range, she is indeed wooden in every scene now. So, she appears to be good when the scene actually calls for stoic/wooden....but her failings show in scenes like last night where her entire demeanor never changes from finding a guy in the bedroom, discussing whether to slaughter thousands of masters and getting ready for a new lover.

agreeing with those who were underwhelmed with the eyrie scene. because of the nature of the show It was never going to have the same impact as it did in the books, but i thought it would be treated as a more important moment. It was still a fantastic scene, but compared to Sansa's chapter it is nothing.

First of all it was too rushed. Part of the magic of the snowcastle was Sansa waking up and walking outside realising its snowing and dropping to her knees in a kind of trance. They could have conveyed the nostalgia and melancholic nature a bit more i think through the cinematography or perhaps had her talk about a sweet memory with Petyr or Robin. The transition scene between the kiss and Sansa entering the main hall was an awkward cut, and i missed the line about her saying there are no songs or whatever.

Then with the Lysa bit, i wish they included the bit about the tansy, the complete betrayal from her own father was such an important of her character. I felt they could have lingered a bit longer in that scene too, just to build the tension a bit more.

Then I thought the fall was a bit cheesy. First, the CGI was probably the worst i've on game of thrones in a while, and the scream didn't have the same impact as her shock and silence.

I wasn't bothered, however with the 'your sister' change.

PS the only reason i'm judging it so harshly is because its my favourite book scene

agreeing with those who were underwhelmed with the eyrie scene. because of the nature of the show It was never going to have the same impact as it did in the books, but i thought it would be treated as a more important moment. It was still a fantastic scene, but compared to Sansa's chapter it is nothing.

First of all it was too rushed. Part of the magic of the snowcastle was Sansa waking up and walking outside realising its snowing and dropping to her knees in a kind of trance. They could have conveyed the nostalgia and melancholic nature a bit more i think through the cinematography or perhaps had her talk about a sweet memory with Petyr or Robin. The transition scene between the kiss and Sansa entering the main hall was an awkward cut, and i missed the line about her saying there are no songs or whatever.

Then with the Lysa bit, i wish they included the bit about the tansy, the complete betrayal from her own father was such an important of her character. I felt they could have lingered a bit longer in that scene too, just to build the tension a bit more.

Then I thought the fall was a bit cheesy. First, the CGI was probably the worst i've on game of thrones in a while, and the scream didn't have the same impact as her shock and silence.

I wasn't bothered, however with the 'your sister' change.

PS the only reason i'm judging it so harshly is because its my favourite book scene

Summed up my thoughts about that scene very well.

"Only cat" is a very iconic line, but compared to how the rest of the scene was handled, the change to "your sister"' really didn't seem that bad.

Snow Winterfell is one of the strongest and most emotional scenes in the entire series (at least for me). I realize it's hard to include the "I am stronger within the walls of winterfell" inner monologue but they could've lingered on that scene a bit more and conveyed the feeling by using a more nostalgic-sounding rendition of the Stark theme.

The final scene also lacked punch, cause in the books that's when Lysa reveals everything about everything and you understand just how tragic a character she is.. only to have her entire world shattered with two words.

Nitpicks:

1) Biter trying to bite Sandor (and really the whole 'nothing' speech. I see what they are trying to do, but it ain't working)

2) "Your sister" was bad enough, but the CGI was shitty

3) Emilia Clarke not wearing that second dress in all of her scenes

4) Not enough Hot Pie

5) Melissandre was just weird. Normally I don't complain about the nudity, but it just seemed strange here.

6) No Eyrie in the opening credits? But the dreadfort and Braavos were there? The credits really start to annoy me. I get that they keep showing WF, but they should change the others if they don't appear in the episode.

Dany shows no emotion when having spontaneous sex.

Do we even know if they had sex? I get that it was implied, but she could have had Daario strud around in the nude there.

Archived