help a reader out.

Dead_Stark

Ahah, i see people all the time reading (and recommending) habitually sexually violent trash like Mercy Thompson but read a book that is purposefully provocative by a author you consider 'serious' and you get all bent out of shape.

I even read that they 'won't read Elizabeth Bear' (since she co-authored the book), one of the most inoffensive sci-fi/UF authors ever.

You know what also works? Not reading a rape-with-wolves book from reading the synopsis, which is what i did.

Yeah, the rape with wolves book isn't mentioned anywhere in the official synopsis or back cover.

Two, I would never recommend shit like Mercy Thompson or that LK Hamilton Shit.

Three, books can be "purposefully provocative" all they want, but they usally arn't, in this case and IN MY OPINION, offensive. I have gone over why this is so in the other thread, and I'm not alone. I'm sorry if i have somehow insulted you be insulting your favorite slash.

Edit: Here is the official Synopsis from Amazon, and also what is printed on the back cover:

The people of this wintry land depend on the wolfcarls to protect them from the threat of trolls and wyverns, though the supernatural creatures have not come in force for many years. Men are growing too confident. The wolfhealls are small, and the lords give them less respect than in former years. But the winter of Isolfr’s bonding, the trolls come down from the north in far greater numbers than before, and the holding’s complaisance gives way to terror in the dark.

Isolfr, now bonded to a queen wolf, Viradechtis, must learn where his honor lies, and discover the lengths to which he will to go when it, and love for his wolf, drive him.

A Companion to Wolves is the story of a young nobleman, Isolfr, who is chosen to become a wolfcarl -- a warrior who is bonded to a fighting wolf. Isolfr is deeply drawn to the wolves, and though as his father's heir he can refuse the call, he chooses to go.

I believe i absorbed the information from other sources then, prob a user review in the very amazon page you mention. But i like to think i can make the logic jump from: Monette (usually gay protags) + wolves pack = book looking to be offensive using alpha-beta meme for effect

But whatever, refusing to read something like the Goblin Emperor, which, let me reiterate is a inoffensive young adult book not even written under the same pseudonym because you were offended at some other book that was looking to be offensive without even reading a user review is dumb (and i don't read slash, i just like reading good authors, thanks for that aside)

This is exactly the same stupid stuff that people who don't read Dan Simmons because he's occasionally nuts do. It's not my place to upbraid you for using moral judgments to blacklist a writer, but propagating the idea that all of Monette's books are about rape, like all of for instance of the Yeards books are about (stupid) libertarianism is a misrepresentation of a very high order.

And this is just a single example to make a point. Fuck, there are even John C. Wright books i don't regret reading, even though the man is fucking nuts now and i DO blacklist his new books for a similar moral judgment (it helps everyone says they're shit). To the OP, if you don't read things because you think they'll

1: offend you

2: make you uncomfortable

3: you hate the author even though the right people say the book is good

4: decide are 'boring' without justification

5: judge by sub-genre blacklist only

6: don't give it a chance because it's 'self-published' even though the right people say it's good.

you're basically missing out. Let me give you a personal example: for a few years i blacklisted all romance books, if it had a cover with two lovey dovies it was not considered. Imagine my chagrin when i tried to read Jaran and Skolian Empire series and i realized that they're really entertaining space operas too. This is the sum total of my reading wisdom, amen

you're basically missing out. Let me give you a personal example: for a few years i blacklisted all romance books, if it had a cover with two lovey dovies it was not considered. Imagine my chagrin when i tried to read Jaran and Skolian Empire series and i realized that they're really entertaining space operas too. This is the sum total of my reading wisdom, amen

I can't imagine this at all. Are you saying Jaran and Skolian has a lovey dovey cover but you like them? I have not seen any person in this thread dismissing a certain genre. In fact, I usually see the opposite around here. That is, people saying great reading and even Literature can come from any genre.

Lmao at the controversy above.

On topic, to OP:

Well since you are new to fantasy you have the whole genre to try out and enjoy. I kinda envy you! Here is my overview of what fantasy has to offer:

Epic fantasy - Roger Zelazny's Amber series. This is complete. Part one is 5 books, part two is also 5 books, but this each book is very short so the entire set is shorter than LotR.

Humorous fantasy - yeah go with Pterry's Discworld. Or Douglas Adam's Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul which is one standalone book that is hilarious. There is also Neil Gaiman's collaboration with Pratchett: Good Omens.

Urban Fantasy - the Dresden files is popular but that is 11 books so far so you might want to try War for the Oaks instead.

Historical fantasy - um, Anubis Gates, maybe?

Mythic fantasy - Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny. American Gods by Gaiman

Urban Fantasy - the Dresden files is popular but that is 11 books so far so you might want to try War for the Oaks instead.

14 books and growing, a book of collected short stories, and several short stories only released in anthologies. All of them are worth your time.

14 books and growing, a book of collected short stories, and several short stories only released in anthologies. All of them are worth your time.

My bad. For some reason I thought it was 11. Have not caught my reading up to the latest published book.

Basically the problem is I've never been a fantasy guy. I have an enormous appetite for books but it has always been true crime, history, biographies and authors such as Irvine Welsh, Thomas Harris and James Lee Burke that I have enjoyed most.

I have read Tolkein many times since I was a kid, but didn't enjoy his books anywhere near as much as George's. I am wondering if anyone can steer me towards a series similar in quality and themes to aSoIaF. More adult fantasy with more realistic violence and an interesting plot would be nice.

I like the idea or of reading Terry Pratchet also but really don't know where to start.

Right now I am on my fifth reread of aSoIaF and whilst I STILL notice new things and get a deeper understanding of the houses and kingdoms with each read I definitely need something else to keep me going until WoW.

any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have looked and been disappointed. My current appetite is for.Bernard Cornwell historical fiction which has a lot of the feel of Martin with adult themes (if less in your face) and good writing but it lacks the complexity of Martin. I liked Agincourt.

Lmao at the controversy above.

On topic, to OP:

Well since you are new to fantasy you have the whole genre to try out and enjoy. I kinda envy you! Here is my overview of what fantasy has to offer:

Epic fantasy - Roger Zelazny's Amber series. This is complete. Part one is 5 books, part two is also 5 books, but this each book is very short so the entire set is shorter than LotR.

Humorous fantasy - yeah go with Pterry's Discworld. Or Douglas Adam's Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul which is one standalone book that is hilarious. There is also Neil Gaiman's collaboration with Pratchett: Good Omens.

Historical fantasy - um, Anubis Gates, maybe?

Mythic fantasy - Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny. American Gods by Gaiman

I adore many of Zelazny's books; and the first Amber series is fantastic. (the second series isn't bad, just not as terrific as the first, possibly because the narrator isn't Corwin).

I have War for the Oaks and enjoyed it very much; though other urban fantasy novels don't do much for me, with one exception that was rather interesting.

I never heard of Sarah Monnette until recently. I've just read The Goblin Emperor, and absolutely adore it and wish that she'd write five sequels. I looked up the book online and found out that Author Katherine Addison was a pseudonym for Monette; and that she didn't intend to even write one sequel to The Goblin Emperor :crying: . I had thought about getting some of her other books out of the library; are they bad or good, what is the problem?

I adore many of Zelazny's books; and the first Amber series is fantastic. (the second series isn't bad, just not as terrific as the first, possibly because the narrator isn't Corwin).

I have War for the Oaks and enjoyed it very much; though other urban fantasy novels don't do much for me, with one exception that was rather interesting.

I never heard of Sarah Monnette until recently. I've just read The Goblin Emperor, and absolutely adore it and wish that she'd write five sequels. I looked up the book online and found out that Author Katherine Addison was a pseudonym for Monette; and that she didn't intend to even write one sequel to The Goblin Emperor :crying: . I had thought about getting some of her other books out of the library; are they bad or good, what is the problem?

Zelazny is great.

War for the Oaks is also great.

Since you read it, I do have a question about it - how come there was virtually no reaction to her bf hitting her? I mean, she even runs after him (after he hits her) to apologize for breaking up with him. Is this normal? It's a minor thing but its been bugging me.

Well about Monette, I only read one of her books the Wolves one and it was so spectacularly bad that I have never knowingly picked up anything else by Monette. Wolves has a main character who is not gay but is forced into a gay situation and likes it. It's like prison rape but with animal companions.

I have looked and been disappointed. My current appetite is for.Bernard Cornwell historical fiction which has a lot of the feel of Martin with adult themes (if less in your face) and good writing but it lacks the complexity of Martin. I liked Agincourt.

What are those "adult themes" you are talking about?

What are those "adult themes" you are talking about?

Just things kids wouldnt read. Lots of blood and gore and dysentery described as water shit. Not something my ten year old should read. No descriptions of sex I remember if that is what you mean.

You said in the other topic that you've read almost no other fantasy apart from Tolkien. So how have you looked?

I tend to start fantasy and then not like it. i am about three quarters of the way through thw Dragonbone Chair currently based on a recommendation from tjos board and I jave not liked it.

I have not done a thorough survey if that is what you mean. I also brought the compilations that some of the Dunk and Egg stories are in and never read much beyond those.

Also about half through Martin's Dying of the Light and likely will not finish.

Harry Potter was fine but will not reread those.

Fantasy just does not seem to be my thing outside of Martin. Maybe it is my selection, that is why I asked.

I can talk scifi too but not sure that falls into fantasy. I do like that better.

I will try Zelanzy (sp?) Based on these threads.

Thanks.

Fantasy just does not seem to be my thing outside of Martin. Maybe it is my selection, that is why I asked.

Yes, it is your selection.

You know those stickied threads? They are still there.

Off the top of my head, you could try: Joe Abercrombie, Scott Lynch, Daniel Abraham (the GOD of good stuff), Ben Aaronovitch, Chris Wooding, China Mieville, Steven Erikson, Jim Butcher, Bakker, McMaster Bujold, Terry Pratchett and did I mention the genius of Daniel Abraham?

No offence to previous posters, but I thought Zelazny was pants, and not nice pants either. YMMV.

Stay the hell away from Jordan's Wheel of Time as well, at least if you are out of high school and/or like women talking about dresses, tugging their braids and engaging in spanking sessions.

*waits for Darth Richard to recommend Stanek*

EDIT: Actually considering you only got through HP and not anything else you might consider Eddings "Belgariad". Or did Darth Richard already rec Eragon? I think he might have.

I tend to start fantasy and then not like it. i am about three quarters of the way through thw Dragonbone Chair currently based on a recommendation from tjos board and I jave not liked it.

I have not done a thorough survey if that is what you mean. I also brought the compilations that some of the Dunk and Egg stories are in and never read much beyond those.

Also about half through Martin's Dying of the Light and likely will not finish.

Harry Potter was fine but will not reread those.

I can talk scifi too but not sure that falls into fantasy. I do like that better.

I will try Zelanzy (sp?) Based on these threads.

Thanks.

So aside from GRRM the only fantasy you've read is Harry Potter and some of the Dragonbone Chair?

So aside from GRRM the only fantasy you've read is Harry Potter and some of the Dragonbone Chair?

I am on a smartphone. If scifi counts then my reading cv is as long as many. From everythimg PhillipK Dick wrote up to the recent.

Yeah, that's way too soon to give up on fantasy or decide that it's not for you besides ASOIAF. My recommendation is that you start a recommendations thread asking for recommendations on what to read while waiting for TWoW to come out.

Yes, it is your selection.

You know those stickied threads? They are still there.

Off the top of my head, you could try: Joe Abercrombie, Scott Lynch, Daniel Abraham (the GOD of good stuff), Ben Aaronovitch, Chris Wooding, China Mieville, Steven Erikson, Jim Butcher, Bakker, McMaster Bujold, Terry Pratchett and did I mention the genius of Daniel Abraham?

No offence to previous posters, but I thought Zelazny was pants, and not nice pants either. YMMV.

Stay the hell away from Jordan's Wheel of Time as well, at least if you are out of high school and/or like women talking about dresses, tugging their braids and engaging in spanking sessions.

*waits for Darth Richard to recommend Stanek*

EDIT: Actually considering you only got through HP and not anything else you might consider Eddings "Belgariad". Or did Darth Richard already rec Eragon? I think he might have.

The best idea for new guys is to follow the monthly thread and see what reccomendations repeat. There is a good possibility that those books are very good. But that's hard and it's a lot easier to make a new thread, is it not?

For some kind of serious reccomandations:

Hilary Mantel- Cromwell trilogy

Daniel Abraham- probably everything, but I haven't read The Long Prince yet. From what I've seen, it's probably brilliant

Glenn Cook -The Black Company

KJ Parker- everything

China Mieville-Perdido Street Station

Archived