Opening a tabletop and generally geeky bar in NorCal.

asdfmanasdf

Speaking of projects

MC, your hot sauce ruined my life. Like. Now I go online every once in a while to check if you have more of that hot sauce in stock to buy more of it. Because I need to have one of these in my house, in my parents house, at the sibling's house for the sunday meal.

I've been scarred.

Can I get a refund for all the mental distress you've caused me.

Really, I want more! Shut up and take my money!

I guess that's where I get lost. I've always viewed Westeros (since I *have* been around) as a part of a larger community, one in which we all currently belong. It seems instead, if everyone in this thread is representative of the place, that Westeros considers itself an exclusive group in itself. And that's okay, of course, but that difference in philosophy has certainly led to some fun.

Westeros does not consider itself an exclusive group in itself.

Everyone is allowed to join and encouraged take part in discussions on this board.

No one tried to stop you from asking money in your very first post on the board.

That being said, you can't expect us to not have an opinion on obvious lack of class in your first post, can you?

How would you react to a random person stopping you in the street and saying: "Oh, I've been seeing you around. Now give me 10$ if you please"?

You are a new guy here and we don't know you (your internet persona, that is) and we have no connection to you other than we like the same book series.

And still, that didn't stop you from asking us for money.

Aftotheb:

It's a fine idea and I wish you luck. I think, unfortunately, you fell into the trap that I find myself in sometimes. Namely, you've been lurking a long time, and you've gotten used to us and the way we interact. However, you've probably forgotten that this is the first time we're being introduced to you. You know us; we don't know you.

Coming in by saying 'Hi, can I have money?', for however great an idea, is really just going to rub people the wrong way.

You've been around a real long time, Relic. Longer than me, and I'm an old timer these days myself. So no, you are unlikely to provoke this reaction. Also, Kickstarter is modeled on the idea of prefunding: giving money to make something happen, and reaping the rewards. I am not sure what rewards a bar in another state could furnish most of us. (Well, I do, I read the Kickstarter, and they're a joke.) Kickstarter isn't meant for goddamned begging.

I've been to gaming cafes/bars before and they are pretty great. I wish you the best of luck. Like many others, though, I'm not inclined to donate money because 1) I'm nowhere near your locale, and 2) Who are you?

I donated to MC's Kickstarter (since you were lurking for so long, you for sure know about him and his project), and was happy to do so. He had a great idea and I've known him around here for years. I was even lucky enough to meet the guy and he was awesome. There's a good chance you're awesome, too. Build up the awesome WITH us, instead of just reading our posts. I think this Board is a stellar group of people with great ideas and interests and there's a lot of support for those ideas and interests...but it's not handed to strangers that have watched us without interacting for long stretches of time.

/rant of grizzled panda

I've been to gaming cafes/bars before and they are pretty great. I wish you the best of luck. Like many others, though, I'm not inclined to donate money because 1) I'm nowhere near your locale, and 2) Who are you?

I donated to MC's Kickstarter (since you were lurking for so long, you for sure know about him and his project), and was happy to do so. He had a great idea and I've known him around here for years. I was even lucky enough to meet the guy and he was awesome. There's a good chance you're awesome, too. Build up the awesome WITH us, instead of just reading our posts. I think this Board is a stellar group of people with great ideas and interests and there's a lot of support for those ideas and interests...but it's not handed to strangers that have watched us without interacting for long stretches of time.

/rant of grizzled panda

Pretty much this. The people here would financially support a plan for world domination if you built up a decent rapport. I'm not exaggerating.

Pretty much this. The people here would financially support a plan for world domination if you built up a decent rapport. I'm not exaggerating.

Please look for my world domination kickstarter in the near future.

I seem to recall the board at one point developed plans to obtain a cruise ship and somehow from there launch plans for world domination, or at the very least develop our own society/pirate organization. This was before Kickstarter existed, and I feel like if anyone wrote all that down we should dust it off and give it a shot.

Dibs on first scallywag (assuming we go the pirate route).

Archived