Football 123: Pardew Springs Eternal

Alex.

You could if they'd act like children and, let's say, pout for not getting the birthday cake or some such. ;)

As I've said previously on here, can we all please remember that his brother had just died. It's not hard, is it

No he hadn't. The whole birthday cake thing was before that.

Ok, sorry, his brother was dying in intensive cancer treatment. Forgive that slight difference.

The cake thing was a complete joke, yes, but there were extenuating circumstances, and an agent stirring things up.

I don't know, maybe, depends how long his 'short' battle with cancer was.

Maybe it did affect Toure's mindset and lead to the trouble about a birthday cake but since I'm going to assume none of us actually know him we really have no idea. So perhaps it's best to avoid assuming positions of moral authority on the subject.

@ljkeane:

His brother being diagnosed with cancer would definitely affect Toure's mindset, even if it was a case of benign and easily operable cancer.

@Alex:

I have no experience similar to Yaya's on that matter and hope to never get it, but I would imagine that if one's close family member is about to die one would have a bigger fish to fry (or a cake to bake, if you will ;))

I'm not meaning to assume moral authority, I'm meaning that we perhaps shouldn't write Toure off completely as a child or lazy without considering that there might be other things going on in his head. He's not a robot.

At the same time, he played badly. if he's in this sort of form or his head's not right then it's the manager's call to hook him.

Yaya is frequently shit. He was crap countless times last season too.

He just normally offsets it all by scoring ridiculous 35 yard blasters and making everyone forgive him.

I see what you're getting at, but that wasn't actually the case last season

We'll have to agree to disagree then. I was very rarely impressed with Yaya (goals removed) last season, and I saw quite a few City games.

Which is not to write him off, of course. Perhaps he just made up for lost cake during preseason and is suffering from the resulting sugar crash?

Aye yeah, I know you watch more City games than anyone here apart from me :) I just think that the idea he's either 10/10 or 1/10 is overstated somewhat. There is a middle ground in there somewhere...

Imagine if all this was because of a sugar/cake/diabetes issue we didn't know about. Would certainly be an unexpected twist...

Ok, sorry, his brother was dying in intensive cancer treatment. Forgive that slight difference.

The cake thing was a complete joke, yes, but there were extenuating circumstances, and an agent stirring things up.

I'm also quite prepared to believe, as Toure recently said, that it was actually a joke that was misinterpreted.

Anyway last season he had his off patches and the unwillingness to track back was a frequent issue, but he never looked lethargic, as he does now.

Yes PSG have a good team?

I admittedly havent watched any of their Ligue one games so far so I can't pass judgement on that front. But I dont know why people are acting like they are some shit club. I don't think Barca was trash yesterday they just got out played.

PSG is also a good team, they didn't lose a game in the French league yet.

Yeah, but they've only won three.

I haven't seen them yet, but it's quite impressive in itself that a team can score, in eight games, fourteen goals and concede five, yet draw five of those.

Also, I keep missing Marseille games that I mean to watch. Argh. After a wobbly beginning it looks like Bielsa's got them singing.

Mikael,

Why didn't Destro & Castan play? Also, is Ljajic a big favorite of Garcia?

Barca were trash yesterday, if they were playing against a better team - say Bayern - they would have been thrashed.

Castan injured, Destro rarely plays alongside Totti, Ljajic is the black sheep as of now, he just hasn't performed so far.

Castan injured, Destro rarely plays alongside Totti, Ljajic is the black sheep as of now, he just hasn't performed so far.

Ljajic definitely has some issues.

If we disregard the whole "I'll sign the anthem!" -> "I didn't sing the anthem" -> "I didn't sing the anthem because I didn't know the words to the 3 whole verses of the anthem" -> "Pharaoh, let my people go!" thing, he got into trouble with his Fiorentina manager (ended in manager punching him repeatedly), was passed upon by Man Utd even after they all but signed him (signed some pre-contract and all that), and is now having problems in Roma.

Definitely not a player I'd like to see in my team (neither club nor national).

Archived