Ranking the seasons

Dragon in the North

1 > 3 > 4 > 2

Season 1

Pros: Introduces us to this awesome world. Ned/Robert/Drogo were great. Dany's storyline is good.

Cons: Slow start. Catelyn makes stupid decisions.

Season 2

Pros: Tyrion as hand. Blackwater. Bronn. Jaime and Brienne.

Cons: Mormont's ranging. Catelyn makes stupid decisions. Qarth. Theon.

Season 3

Pros: Tyrion and Tywin scenes are some of my favorite. Arya and the Hound. Catelyn dies. Red Wedding was very well done. Dany's "dracarys" Astapor scene. Olenna.

Cons: Catelyn makes stupid decisions. Robb makes stupid decisions. Theon.

Season 4

Pros: Purple Wedding. Sansa finally becomes interesting. Martells. Arya. Olenna. Whitewalker scene.

Cons: Theon. Yara's attempt to rescue Theon. Gregor cast change. Daario cast change.

Wow, so much hating on season 2. I watched the first two seasons before reading the books, and season 2 is definitely my favorite, even though I now obsess over the books.

2>1>3>4. Although I'd say 3 and 4 are about the same for me.

Did the same as you, read the books after season 2. But I didn't like it that much.

Wow, so much hating on season 2. I watched the first two seasons before reading the books, and season 2 is definitely my favorite, even though I now obsess over the books.

The major reasons I have for not liking S2 much are all the invented silliness in Dany, and Robb's storylines. So bad.

The Blackwater episode is amazing though. And What Is Dead May Never Die was really good too.

Season 2 highlights were Tyrion's storyline, Theon's storyline, Arya's storyline and Blackwater.

Season 2 lowlights were Dany's storyline (x100), Robb's storyline (although I don't dislike Talisa at all, I just thought they didn't do a good job with it), and Jon Snow's storyline.

Basically, they got 1 out of the 3 major characters' storylines right, while botching the other 2. But it was still entertaining television, and a 'bad' season of GoT is better than the best seasons of most shows.

Season 1 was by far the best without question. It was the only season of GoT that was actually worthy of the reputation the show has.

Season 2 was...spotty at points but I actually don't dislike it as much as a lot of other people do. It could be because I still hadn't read the books yet when Season 2 aired/did that shortly after but I wasn't too bothered by most of the book changes, and Blackwater still might be my favorite episode overall.

I pretty strongly dislike both Season 3 and Season 4, albeit for different reasons. Season 3 really poorly handled certain characters (namely the whitewashing of Dany/blackwashing of Stannis), had the absolutely cringeworthy obvious TV bait romance subplots (Robb/Talisa, Tyrion/Shae, to a lesser extent Jon/Ygritte) and overall just felt like it had this very ponderous, boring pace to it. But it did have a pretty strong saving graces - Jaimes subplot was near perfect (which made his butchery in Season 4 even more frustrating) and I loved pretty much every scene with Blackfish and Edmure. I thought they did a pretty good job with the Red Wedding too, so thats a plus. But it also had the worst GoT final scene yet - not even the sort of meh ending of Season 4 made my cringe nearly as much as "MYSHA!!!!".

However, its difficult to say whether I preferred Season 4, because while it did improve on some of the flaws of Season 3 (Stannis/Danys characterization, The Wall finally got good), it also created whole new shitshows (Jaime, Tyrions final scene) and had probably D$Ds worst writing yet (the completely inconsequential Asha at the Dreadfort subplot, "smash the beetles", Grey Worm/Missandei).

I also came out of Season 4 hating Ramsay more than I ever did in the books - I fucking despise how D$D have turned him into a Christopher Nolan Joker ripoff and obvious Hot Topic fangirl material. Weirdly though, Season 4 also had one of D$Ds better original creations in Karl Tanner, who worked because he was essentially a more entertaining version of book Ramsay, and ten trillion times more fun to watch than show Ramsay. I really don't understand why D$D didn't just write Ramsay like that.

But despite all that, I did really enjoy "Watchers on the Wall", even though it had some filler, I'd still put it just below Blackwater on my favorite episodes list. So idk, overall I'd say in Season 4, there were more things I enjoyed than in Season 3, but then there were also even bigger problems in Season 4, so idk.

All I know is at this point I just tell people "watch the first season, then read the books"

I also came out of Season 4 hating Ramsay more than I ever did in the books - I fucking despise how D$D have turned him into a Christopher Nolan Joker ripoff and obvious Hot Topic fangirl material. Weirdly though, Season 4 also had one of D$Ds better original creations in Karl Tanner, who worked because he was essentially a more entertaining version of book Ramsay, and ten trillion times more fun to watch than show Ramsay. I really don't understand why D$D didn't just write Ramsay like that.

Most show lovers love Ramsay as a villain and he's nothing like the Joker. He's way more sinister, believable and flawed (good kind of flawed). The Joker has no purpose in his life other then fucking people over for no reason while Ramsay's insanity can actually be explained and he actually has a purpose in his life (proving himself to his dad). He also has a talented actor (joker does too admittedly).

Nolan's Joker is very overrated imo, his good actor makes the joker terrifying but people overhype him to hell. Moore's Joker is the best one, Nolan's just feels cheap and retarded.

I would actually swap Tanner with Ramsay, Tanner is pretty cartoonish while Ramsay seems like someone who could actually exist. Book Ramsay and TV Ramsay are different though, i'll admit that.

Most show lovers love Ramsay

This is one of the chief reasons why I hate Iwan Rheons Ramsay so much - Ramsay is supposed to be the character who makes us forget how much Joffrey used to make our blood boil. Instead, we have show watchers being like "lol dat torture guy is fun-neee" and Hot Topic fangirls swooning over the Spartacus outtake that was his shirtless fight scene (I love Spartacus btw, but that type of shit on GoT? No, just no). And all the while, when viewers are supposed to turn around in regards to their feelings for Theon, instead theyve just gone and turned Ramsay into a fan favorite. Fuck that shit. I will cheer twice as loudly when Stannis wipes that stupid fucking grin off his face for good on the show.

I think most of them love him in the same sense they love Joffery, he's entertaining and unpredictable but unlike Joffery he can be intelligent.

D&D cut out his most disgusting crime when he skins women alive after raping them. He's also much easier to piss off in the books.

However, D&D did include that scene with the girl in S4 early on, trying to make him look as bad as he really is but I don't think it's enough. D&D clearly try to make him look terrible but no matter what you do you'll always have a group of people who like the character. Hopefully S5 makes Ramsay truly nasty but so far he's been decent in terms of "horrible shit" it's just Iwan is disturbingly charming.

I'll agree the shirtless fighting scene is by FAR the worst scene in the entire series for me, it was just... awful. Theon/Reek had a fairly good scene but everyone else was terrible. Less that more Brienne/Pod tier quality please D&D.

Ramsay has commited more atrocities on screen than he did on page in the books. Martin sidesteps showing most of ramsays brutal atrocities leaving them to the readers imagination. imagination will always be worse than the real thing. The hunting scene was somewhat toned down, but what Martin describes in the books is unfilimable, even for HBO. the scene they presented was still ultra violent, a girl was eaten alive by dogs for fun. as for show watchers liking ramsay, it's a small niche and the book version has a vocal fan base as well. Most show watchers either hate him or hate the storyline( thanks to the torture fest of the last two years). In the books ramsay is a sadistic pychopath with no empathy that has major daddy issues. The shows version is a sadistic psychopath with no empathy that has major daddy issues. not much difference.

Season 1 > the first half of season 3 > the first half of season 2 > the second half of season 2 > the first half of season 4 > the second half of season 3 > the second half of season 4.

This isn't the 'rank parts of the seasons thread'!

Na just kidding, but why the hatred on the end of season 4?

Archived