The Red Keep cat mystery

BalerionTheCat

There are multiple references to an old cat living in the RK. The animal is ordinary, except it stole food once from Tywin's fingers and is being called "older than sin" and "the real king" by the Lanisters guards.

While seemingly not important, the cat was puzzling me. I went to the net and found this theory about the cat being Rhaenys' Balerion. And more surprising, that the girl had warged into it at her death. I totally subscribe to this idea. The closeness of the child and the cat, recount by Varys, reminds me of the Stark children and their direwolfs.

I found multiple threads concerning the cat, and what could be its meaning, but I have another theory. Maybe my idea is not new, but I found nothing similar anywhere. But first, I would like to explain why I believe Rhaenys warged into the cat.

The first hurdle is to explain the girl warg ability. This is not supposed to be Targaryen. It seems to come only with the First Men's blood. BR is a Targaryen greenseer, but he got it from his Blackwood mother. I think however that Rhaenys had the gift from her mother, Elia. We know that Rhaegar knew more than anyone else about TPTWP prophesy. The R+L=J theory supposes that he chose Lyanna most likely because he knew the Prince's mother, to provide the Ice magic, must have First Men's blood. He probably knew that already when he married Elia. And he would not have married her, would not have believed Aegon was the Prince, if Elia didn't have First Men's blood. Lyanna just had stronger blood. I have not found much about Elia parents. Her mother was Princess of Dorne but her ancestry seems unknown.

Returning to the cat. There is also a theory supposing that BR is using it to spy in the RK. I don't believe that. First, BR would rather use ravens. Second, a domestic cat sleeping unnoticed in the Council Chamber would be more useful that a cat chased by all Lanister guards. Third, the cat stealing food from Tywin's fingers is more futile, childish revenge, that the act of a half-god.

There is also the question of the girl remaining sentient within the cat for so long. I would think that BR is helping her, just like he did with Bran early in AGOT:

Bran looked at the crow on his shoulder, and the crow looked back. It had three eyes, and the third eye was full of a terrible knowledge.

If Rhaenys is still in the cat, if BR is helping her, then it is for an important purpose, not just for helping a distant relative or reminding us of past Lanister crimes.

Now comes my suggestion. I have no evidence that events will happen like I propose, but IMHO it would be a great contribution to the whole story. If it is a crackpot theory, I don't see anything really impossible. And anyway, the cat must have some importance.

The idea comes from Jon warging back from Gost to his body after revival (just an hypothesis for now). The idea also comes from Khal Drogo, his body alive, but devoid of soul:

“His eyes follow the sun, though he does not see it. He can walk after a fashion. He will go where you lead him, but no farther. He will eat if you put food in his mouth, drink if you dribble water on his lips.”

My guess is that, at some point, one young woman will die, will be revived like Khal Drogo, and Rhaenys will return to a human body (probably with BR help).

The requisites seem possible, even experienced before. This looks like another hidden Targaryen, but not really. The main point is that it gives us a secret dragon head, and a queen. The queen of Cersei prophesy. One who will have every justification to take revenge on the Lanisters, and will take everything from Cersei.

Who will be the dead girl? My first bet is Myrcella. The Lanisters providing the body, the Lanisters paying their debts. And it would be the most devastating for Cersei. Ironically, Myrcella had an encounter with the cat (Arya POV):

“What were you doing to that cat, boy?” Myrcella asked again, sternly. To her brother she said, “He’s a ragged boy, isn’t he? Look at him.” She giggled.

In addition Myrcella certainly has Targaryen blood and should be able to control a dragon. Cersei and Joffrey madness is one evidence. And Genna Lannister told to Jaime:

Tyrion is Tywin’s son, not you. I said so once to your father’s face, and he would not speak to me for half a year.

Genna is Tywin sister, Joanna cousin. She is said "intelligent and shrewd". If anyone knows about Aerys and Joanna, it is her. She would not say that to Jaime if she was not sure. She would not say that to Tywin if she was not absolutely sure.

We know by Cersei prophesy that Myrcella will die. It should happen when she is queen:

"Gold shall be their crowns and gold their shrouds".

She could then be in the RK, not far from the cat. The simplest scenario is that after Myrcella death, Cersei commands Qyburn to revive her daughter. He may argue that he cannot return her soul, but Cersei will insist and Rhaenys will warg back to a human body. One more big Cersei mistake.

One problem is that Qyburn don't seem able to do a true resurrection. Concerning Robert Strong:

Meryn Trant claimed that Strong took neither food nor drink, and Boros Blount went so far as to say he had never seen the man use the privy.

But I would believe Strong has no head (given to the Martell) or not his head (some sort of Frankenstein). We could expect Qyburn doing a better job if Myrcella body is in good condition and if a lot of blood is involved. I think Cersei could use the Wildfire reserves and burn KL to provide the necessary lives for the Blood Magic. And all this Wildfire in KL has to have some usage.

I also like how it changes our views on things. Contrary to the appearances, Rhaegar son has not survived, but his daughter has. This also changes who deserve and will take revenge on the Lanisters. Not the Starks, but the Targaryens & Martells. In fact Tywin was fair game with the Starks. Their revenge should be with Littlefinger and the Freys and Boltons who had alliances with them.

Wow, my first thought is let me get your dealers number, but like you said , the cat MUST have some importance so I guess your right. One question though, will Qyburn fix her missing ear? Because Remember, it's supposed to be a younger more beautiful queen. I'd hate to see such a well thought out idea fall apart so easily.

I think that yes the Old Tom is Rhaenys' kitten but that's it.

I think this is just a nice kind of easter egg linking the past with the present.

Like the appearance of a 4 year old Walder in the Mystery Knight.

It is simply something to put a wry amused smile on the reader's face.

The theory above is so convoluted that it makes little sense beyond the opening premise of the kitten being skinchanged for the princess' second life.

It smacks of shoe-horning would-be clues to fit the wished for result.

Grasping at straws basically.

As GRRM has said in response to many weird ideas or questions by fans and to paraphrase him...

Sometimes a cat is just a cat

:cool4: ...

• 3 weeks later...

Who will be the dead girl? My first bet is Myrcella. The Lanisters providing the body, the Lanisters paying their debts.

We know by Cersei prophesy that Myrcella will die. It should happen when she is queen:

She could then be in the RK, not far from the cat. The simplest scenario is that after Myrcella death, Cersei commands Qyburn to revive her daughter. He may argue that he cannot return her soul, but Cersei will insist and Rhaenys will warg back to a human body.

I like this theory, mostly because I think that Tommen and Myrcella are good people and I would enjoy watching Cersei's surprise when one of them turns on her. I also really like the parallel between Balerion, who has a torn ear, and Myrcella, who lost an ear (I always found this strange; her wound must have some significance). Perhaps Myrcella will be crowned by the Dornish while Qyburn picks up some Thoros of Myr-style resurrection skills.

Maybe Arya could warg into Balerion, startling Rhaenys and nudging her into jumping into something else...

Archived