Season 5 Casting, News and Speculation V 7 [show spoilers, book spoilers past OP]

Seneti

Has anyone identified the winter scene from yesterday's "sight" release? I wondered if that might be new footage, because it evokes the Winterfell landscape to me (looked like WF off in the distance), but I'm pretty terrible at being able to match the clips to past seasons.

^Indeed. It is kindof bratty of us to gripe about getting very few new shots. They don't actually OWE US new shots. I don't really understand the point of what they're up to with this but it's not really worth getting mad about. In the end they're still doing us a favour. Albeit badly, but it's not really an imposition on us, is it? We're the ones who signed up for the thing.

Lol will you ever be critical of anything related to this show?

Bad marketing is bad marketing. The idea itself isn't bad - the first Arya clip, for example, was actually pretty good. But it's been a huge mess since then. They hyped it up and got people to hand over their mobile numbers, but they can't even get the clips to work efficiently. And even when they finally manage to work, it's all for what - rehashed footage and a glimpse of one new scene?

The marketing team are not "doing us a favour". They're doing their jobs, and they're doing them badly.

I think it's from last season, looks like Tormund.

Definitely not Tormund. I think it might actually be a new clip, because Jon is sitting down with that old guy and looking up at someone and that was definitely not in the last season. Maybe it's a clip from the 'war meeting' we've heard so much about, because it looks like a discussion and it looks like someone (standing up) has interrupted him to tell him something.

That's my guess, anyway.

Bad marketing is bad marketing. The idea itself isn't bad - the first Arya clip, for example, was actually pretty good. But it's been a huge mess since then. They hyped it up and got people to hand over their mobile numbers, but they can't even get the clips to work efficiently. And even when they finally manage to work, it's all for what - rehashed footage and a glimpse of one new scene?

My take is that HBO is sort of indifferent to marketing. I don't know if they do their own or if its a subcontractor.

It seemed to take pulling teeth to get the stand alone streaming service. HBO for too long did not attend to world wide distribution, and I don't know if they even have totally corrected that.

Their business model for DVD sales is down right weird. There was once a justification for waiting to release some shows season just before the next season, but I think there is a demand for a fall release for Christmas sales HBO does not take advantage of. Getting cast commentaries on any season can't be that hard. I really wonder at D&D's involvement , I don't think they have to plan the structure of the release of the DVDs. (This does not apply to mini series.)

Their 'preview' videos of coming seasons, while elegant enough, with zingers enough, have always seems on the brief side.

Seems outside of HBO's cable channel time HBO does not punch up their shows that much on network TV, at least not as much as do others.

Well they are making money, but they might have a gold rush with just a little more aggressive and sophisticated marketing.

It looks like we might finally have a date for the HBO Yearender video. If you go to the HBO Schedule website and type "Yearender" into the search bar, it says that the HBO 2014 Yearender video will be available On Demand starting on December 21, 2014.

http://www.hbo.com/#/schedule

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=et9mpu&s=8#.VJRgIP9yNA

I asked on the previous page, but will ask again: can anyone identify the winter landscape featured in the stills to which Le Cygne just linked us? I'm very bad at picking out old footage from new! To me the landscape looks like the approach to Winterfell, but of course we haven't seen it in winter yet. But maybe it's just some of the old Beyond the Wall footage, from along the Milkwater or something?

I asked on the previous page, but will ask again: can anyone identify the winter landscape featured in the stills to which Le Cygne just linked us? I'm very bad at picking out old footage from new! To me the landscape looks like the approach to Winterfell, but of course we haven't seen it in winter yet. But maybe it's just some of the old Beyond the Wall footage, from along the Milkwater or something?

It just looks like a season 2 shot of beyond the Wall.

Ooh, they have a better quality version of the clip of Jon Snow. That's definitely nothing from last season, though...and Jon Snow didn't wear that cloak before Season 4. So that's new footage.

Archived