Sophie Turner: traumatic scene

Miss Carnahan

D&D wouldn't make Sansa go from being sad over Dontos to raping/ helping someone rape someone else in a course of a few months, changing your clothes isn't going to the dark side.

Remember Robb's military campaign in season 3? Or Stannis burning infidels? Cersei and Jaime by Joffrey's dead-body? I'm not putting too much stock in what D&D would or wouldn't do

She has gone over to the dark side?! When? What did she do? Who did she murder? Did she help torture or rape someone?

She wore a Disney Villan dress.

Right, she did none of these things. She... wore a black dress with feathers?! Which looks vaguely Goth if you want to be totally anachronistic... so she's evil, because Goths are evil? Wearing black clothes makes you evil? Or something? :rolleyes:

No, not for most people but this is D&D (Pod the love god, Jaime the kin-slayer, Talisa etc) we are talking about. Therefore Sansa wearing a black dress with feathers may indeed be "look who's evil now". While they hit plot points, they don't seem to do complex characters (see Catelyn, Stannis etc) or characterisation very well. TV Sansa's character has been altered already in terms of what she has gone through.

See, nothing there about becoming evil.

Sadly I think Sansa taking charge of her life may equal becoming evil or vampy to D&D. They have cut out her AFFC and a lot of ASOS material and replaced it with their own. It seems likely this will only increase next season.

That scene will be following: Sansa finds out that Littlefinger is molesting Sweetrobin. Petyr is mad and kills Robert and tries to rape Sansa, but Varys teleports there and rapes Littlefinger and yells with his loud, whip-like voice: "CHAOS IS A PIT!" Which Littlefinger answers that it is a laddah, but dies from enjoyment. :smileysex:

I have read that LF is likely in King's Landing as apparently D & D's version of the Kettleblacks so I think that the "traumatic" scene will be to do with Sansa and Robin though I can't see her killing him (at least not on purpose) and the breast feeding thing would just be super creepy rather than traumatic. Surely they wouldn't make the poor kid have to do that again?! He will probably never live down doing it in Season 1 let alone again :ack:

Remember it's not "shocking" per se. It's something that was traumatic for the film crew on set. So stuff that could be shocking or controversial in context or after postproduction (say, something like the descend from the Eyre, which wouldn't be shot at an actual cliff) probably won't do it. The scene itself, as played by the actors involved, has to be traumatic. And it has to be traumatic for people who aren't constrained at seeing through the camera lens - I doubt her attempted gang rape during the riots, or the follow up nightmare, were traumatic for the film crew.

EDIT: The crew wouldn't be traumatized by watching actors play a consensual sex scene, even if it's shocking in the overall narrative. Violent rape in itself might not do it either - the guys watching on set are experienced professionals, after all. So whatever it is, I think it has to have strong emotions performed on the set, and probably violence. It may include sex, but IMHO the scene itself would have to be performed in a very emotional and fucked up way for it to be traumatic to the crew.

I understand your point, under "EDIT". But then I would find it difficult to traumatize an experienced fantasy - fiction crew, which already filmed Melisandre giving birth to a shadow monster. So I tried to imagine what could be shocking in the context of Sansa's character, and the actress playing her. I thought she referred to a scene she was involved in, so I believe that the shock is in something her character does, witnesses or otherwise feels.

I somehow expect something that could be percieved as a betrayal of her former self.

She never said that the scene was "creepy" or "shocking".

She said it was "traumatic" and that even the crew had a hard time watching it.

Do you think of consensual sex as something that's highly traumatic, and that the filming crew - who films scenes like the Red Wedding or the scenes at Craster's Keep - would find it hard to watch a consensual sex scene?

I will start saying that if she said "the crew had problems while looking it". If Turner said so, possibly it is not a sex related scene, which - as far as I know - are filmed with reduced crew and in an as private as actually possible scenery.

I am writing in the context of a fiction in which we had blood magic, the actual, natural birth of an unnatural monster, the stabbing of a very visibily pregnant woman in the belly, executions by burning, several decapitations, not all of whom were clean. We saw two children given to the monsters of the night.One of them was transformed in an unhuman creature by one of thirteen strange creatures living on the edge of our reality. We had rapes, we had necrophily referred to as practiced in-universe, we saw a man (boy) being an actual sadist monster, out of the sado-masochist consensual relationship, we saw a simpathetic character brutally murdered by said sadic monster. We had almost any kind of murder and violence shown, including tortures sufficient to brainwash someone in living with the dogs.

I'm not betting on Sansa's scene being more traumatic than what we already saw in the show.

And the scenes that D&D marked as memorable to them were quite boasted by them before the airing. They (sort of) boasted of the Red Wedding since before the start of the first season!

So I believe that the scene itelf will not be as traumatical, brutal and unsettling as the ones above, per se.

I believe that the scene was traumatic from the perspective of the character and the actress having to enter in it to interpret it.

A trauma in Sansa's path and identity, and thus a psicologically difficult scene for the young actress in it, shared with empathy by the crew.

Of the proposed traumatic events here in this thread, which were some kind of murder, some unexpected behaviour involving Robin including another strike on him by Sansa, non-consensual sex and consensual sex with some discomforting partner or individual - Baelish was the only one named - I gave my opinion. I think it wont be "simply" a murder or an attempted rape, nor another strike on Sweet Robin's face. Sansa was already involved in all of that, in some way or the other.

So I can think of consensual relationships - the one suggested option that I didn't speculate out of my previous post's reasoning, on the ground of avoiding repetitions in a very time-costrained show - that could be described as traumatical. Consensual sex is not traumatical per se, even if it can be the source of lots of traumas.

It could be very traumatical for Sansa and for her actress too in a lot of situations. One is a conflict between desire and repulsion for Baelish, in particular if Sansa discovered what happened with her father and what he believes he did with her mother, after all Sansa already heard and saw about he and Lysa. Another one could be a situation in which Sansa participates in it, willingly, but not out of desire and actraction, but out of some other purpose. Bonus trauma point if she founds herself forced to feign desire, actraction and pleasure to get to those purposes. More bonus points if she gets caught in the process by Baelish, explaining why we had to endure that explaination back in season one in the brothel: it was a Chekhov's gun.

Shortform: sex is not a trauma per se, but it has lots of ways in which it can leave traumas around, even in situation way nicer and more protected than Sansa's.

Cheers.

I have read that LF is likely in King's Landing as apparently D & D's version of the Kettleblacks so I think that the "traumatic" scene will be to do with Sansa and Robin though I can't see her killing him (at least not on purpose) and the breast feeding thing would just be super creepy rather than traumatic. Surely they wouldn't make the poor kid have to do that again?! He will probably never live down doing it in Season 1 let alone again :ack:

If you mean the actor, I doubt he'll complain. He's thirteen after all. But I don't think it's something like that. Why would it be traumatic to the film crew?

She wore a Disney Villan dress.

First she was Belle...

https://38.media.tumblr.com/0f77d33cb8e62166984a85b9eec1866c/tumblr_moue52aXd51r6enaxo8_250.gif

Then she was the Evil Queen...

https://33.media.tumblr.com/57eae1ae57a70e5488ef506870b19fc0/tumblr_mwzfrsUJ571qbrs65o6_r2_250.gif

No, not for most people but this is D&D (Pod the love god, Jaime the kin-slayer, Talisa etc) we are talking about. Therefore Sansa wearing a black dress with feathers may indeed be "look who's evil now". While they hit plot points, they don't seem to do complex characters (see Catelyn, Stannis etc) or characterisation very well. TV Sansa's character has been altered already in terms of what she has gone through.

Sadly I think Sansa taking charge of her life may equal becoming evil or vampy to D&D. They have cut out her AFFC and a lot of ASOS material and replaced it with their own. It seems likely this will only increase next season.

Truth. Once again, they cut her out of her own story. Very sad...

D & D don't share your views on female characters- their characterization in the show is entirely related to sex or rape ( or violence in some cases like Yara, Brienne, Arya ). Or 'motherhood', like Catelyn was dumbed down to a generic 'mother' figure.

And Talisa was madonna-ed just before she was fridged (baby Ned was on the way).

If you mean the actor, I doubt he'll complain. He's thirteen after all. But I don't think it's something like that. Why would it be traumatic to the film crew?

I can think of no reason Sansa breastfeeding Robin would be traumatic to anyone but the actress. Sweetrobin's actor is 13, why would he complain about it? I know 13 year old me would not.

To be fair, being Lana Parrilla's possibly the best. That said, I didn't knew Disney could loan costumes like that. Sansa's arc in two looks, according to the show :bang:

Well, I'm pretty sure it's something awful and traumatic, though dear God, I hope it isn't rape. We've had enough of that. I only keep hope because Sansa and LF will spend most of season 5 apart, and if my personal theory, based on the show, when he returns, Sansa might be moving along his book!Plans of claiming the Vale and marching on Winterfell.

Here is an unfinished thought. Forget the Books for the moment as they are filled with many characters not in the show. Since as yet their is no Harry the Heir in the show and there may never be one, Robbin's heir would be Sansa. His father's dead, his mothers dead, he has no brothers and sisters, so the next closest heir would b a cousin and his only living cousin on the show, that anyone knows of, is Sansa. Could D&D be heading in this direction with Sansa inheriting the Vale and using its Armies for her purposes and not LF's? If so it would lend support to the traumatic scene being one where Robbin dies.

Here is an unfinished thought. Forget the Books for the moment as they are filled with many characters not in the show. Since as yet their is no Harry the Heir in the show and there may never be one, Robbin's heir would be Sansa. His father's dead, his mothers dead, he has no brothers and sisters, so the next closest heir would b a cousin and his only living cousin on the show, that anyone knows of, is Sansa. Could D&D be heading in this direction with Sansa inheriting the Vale and using its Armies for her purposes and not LF's? If so it would lend support to the traumatic scene being one where Robbin dies.

Maybe if it's a rather horrific death? (I do like the theory, even though I don't really want SR to die)

GRRM did say that Sansa is not someone who can lead armies, but D&D might take the character on a different path.

Maybe if it's a rather horrific death? (I do like the theory, even though I don't really want SR to die)

GRRM did say that Sansa is not someone who can lead armies, but D&D might take the character on a different path.

Well, he said she can't wield a weapon. Neither does Barbery Dustin and she does have an army

Archived