Hobbit movie discussion (incl merged Hobbit text deviation thread)

baxus

I didn't mind the first Hobbit either but unlike the LOTR trilogy, I wouldn't go out of my way to re-watch it.

I just think there was no need to make it into three movies. I could maybe understand two but not three. Not when The Hobbit is shorter than each of the LOTR books.

Ser Humfrey,

Wow, I'm the only one who enjoyed the hobbit. Its now one of my favorite movies.

Who wouldn't love ten minute fights between mountains or crappy CGI rabbits who are supposed to be leading the enemy away from the quest but keep bringing them back to where the Quest is hiding?

Who wouldn't love ten minute fights between mountains or crappy CGI rabbits who are supposed to be leading the enemy away from the quest but keep bringing them back to where the Quest is hiding?

The first time I watched the movie, this scene bugged me to no end, basically (dis)coloring my view of the entire movie. When I watched it again, the scene didn't really bother me. It's still not a great scene, but no longer an eyesore for me.

I am excited to watch it. I am having my son read the book and point out the differences between book and film, to make sure I know he's paying attention to his reading. I enjoyed the first and I am sure I will enjoy the next two. I love taking my kids to see stuff like this. It's so "epic" for them and we can enjoy it together without worrying about something happening that requires a sex ed discussion after. Same reason I love Doctor Who.

I just came home from the premiere. Wow. Yeah, it's fine popcorn fun, but gosh, PJ really doesnt like to be subtle. At all. Think of how whacky and over the top the scenes with the Goblin King were in the first film. Quadruple it.

Every time it was good, they went over the top with it. And the audience loved it. I didnt though.

Ser Humfrey,

Oh Scot, you're like a dog with a bone. This is Denethor's flaming 5K run and the bubbles of death all over again, isn't it? :P

For the record, those were my least favourite scenes as well (along with the chase through Goblintown), but I think the rest of the movie is pretty decent, and the beauty of owning the DVD is that one can fast forward through those scenes. :)

yeah, that's exactly why we watch movies - to fast forward through more than half of it ;)

More than half of it? Common, that's a bit of an exaggeration. The rabbit chase scene lasts about 5-6 minutes (give or take), same with the stone giants, and again with the chase through goblintown. That's around 15-20 minutes out of a 2.5 hour movie.

I mean, yes, if you dislike plenty of other scenes as well, and they indeed total up to over half of the movie, then I agree that you probably shouldn't bother watching it again, never mind buying it.

More than half of it? Common, that's a bit of an exaggeration. The rabbit chase scene lasts about 5-6 minutes (give or take), same with the stone giants, and again with the chase through goblintown. That's around 15-20 minutes out of a 2.5 hour movie.

I agree, there are a few bad action scenes in the film and unfortunately they're fairly close together which increases the impact but I did like the majority of the film. Admittedly, there are other scenes which you could question whether they really need to be in the film and taking 3 films to tell the story is a bit absurd but I find the film entertaining enough that I don't really mind the slow pacing.

I find just about every scene with Radagast unwatchable...I mean hell, they put birdshit in his hair! This will be unfortunate if he doesn't receive a thorough scrubbing down before he goes with the White Council to confront the Necromancer.

He livea in the woods with animals, letting birds nest in his hair. Of course he's covered in shit! Middle-Earth was hardly renowned for its hair products.

More than half of it? Common, that's a bit of an exaggeration.

Personally, I wouldn't say half of it was useless or unnecessary, but there's no denying the movie would have greatly benefitted from being a mere 2 hours, without any second more.

I hope The Wolfbrother is wrong on 2nd movie, but if he's to be trusted, and from the TORN spoilers about its plot, looks like Desolation of Smaug deserves the same fate.

I mean, yes, if you dislike plenty of other scenes as well, and they indeed total up to over half of the movie, then I agree that you probably shouldn't bother watching it again, never mind buying it.

the dinner party lasted nearly as long as the real life dinner party, rabbit chase, goblintown, stone giants, elves running in circles around dwarves for a minute or so, completely unnecessary switching scenes in rivendell, fight scenes for the sake of fight scenes (trolls, that moronic white orc), goblins ominously watching the party from the distance since the shire itself, gandalf's emo whining (he gives me courage bla bla blaaarghh)...

yes, "half the movie" was a bit of an exaggeration, but not nearly as much as you would think.

this description from that honest trailer someone posted pretty much says it all:

Strap in for The Hobbit, the only movie trilogy that takes longer to watch than to read.

Archived