Dragon Age, the Inquisitors Thread - open spoilers inside

The Anti-Targ

What was up with Emprise Du Lion freezing overnight? I was expecting to find a cause and a solution to that...

Yeah, I thought it would have been explained (maybe something to do with Imshael?) but nope. The only other possible lead is that the tower being held by giant chains (next to the bridge you need to repair) is apparently home to a very powerful demon (again), which may have caused it somehow.

I don,t care that much either, since the zone looks really great.

What was up with Emprise Du Lion freezing overnight? I was expecting to find a cause and a solution to that...

Yeah, that felt like cut content. There's some parts of the game where it feels like this. IIRC in the south of the map there's some elven ruins with a door that could easily lead to a dungeon area, but it's non-interactive.

The Exalted Plains are (of course) even worse for this. There's about half a dozen unique items that have no use except as vendor trash, a difficult to get to campsite with a non-interactive elven artifact and a door in Citadelle du Corbeau that can be highlighted but not accessed because it's blocked by an NPC.

Yeah, I thought it would have been explained (maybe something to do with Imshael?) but nope. The only other possible lead is that the tower being held by giant chains (next to the bridge you need to repair) is apparently home to a very powerful demon (again), which may have caused it somehow.

I don,t care that much either, since the zone looks really great.

The zone is great, but it felt like it was rushed, since it doesn't really hold together. There's lots of red lyrium, lots of templars, a quarry, lots of random snow, random elven ruins and as others have pointed out, it feels unfinished. Pretty as hell, but unfinished.

I loved the garden labyrinth up to Imshael and Imshael himself is hilarious and a decent enough fight. But after that it's "repair bridge, fight dragons" and you end up having no real idea of what the point was of that zone. Even The Exalted Plains has a more coherent idea, for all its flaws (and the fact it is the most boring and depressing area).

Weirdly, I really liked the Western Approach the best. It's a fascinating area, and the Blight abyss, the giant warrior statues and the old fortresses are just so awesome. I remember entering for the first time and going 0.o at what it looked like. The Hissing Wastes may be meant to be more awe inspiring, and Emprise de Lyon as the most amazing vistas, but for me it's the Western Approach that just steals the show. So bleak, so many haunting memories, so majestic and so totally unforgiving and messed up at the same time.

Weirdly, I can't find any screenshot or image of those awe inspiring huge statues. This is the closest one, but it's of one of the smaller statues and not the really huge ones. Same style though.

The zone is great, but it felt like it was rushed, since it doesn't really hold together. There's lots of red lyrium, lots of templars, a quarry, lots of random snow, random elven ruins and as others have pointed out, it feels unfinished. Pretty as hell, but unfinished.

I loved the garden labyrinth up to Imshael and Imshael himself is hilarious and a decent enough fight. But after that it's "repair bridge, fight dragons" and you end up having no real idea of what the point was of that zone. Even The Exalted Plains has a more coherent idea, for all its flaws (and the fact it is the most boring and depressing area).

Purely from a plot/motivation point of view, I think the three big optional areas work best if you start with the Emerald Graves. The Inquisition is actively asked to help there, and once you do you find out that the rest of the Free Men leadership can be found in the Exalted Plains. At the same time you come across the Lyrium smugglers (or is that only on the mage path? That would sink this idea), which ends up pointing you towards Sarnia Quarry where the Red Templars get most of their Red Lyrium from.

Purely from a plot/motivation point of view, I think the three big optional areas work best if you start with the Emerald Graves. The Inquisition is actively asked to help there, and once you do you find out that the rest of the Free Men leadership can be found in the Exalted Plains. At the same time you come across the Lyrium smugglers (or is that only on the mage path? That would sink this idea), which ends up pointing you towards Sarnia Quarry where the Red Templars get most of their Red Lyrium from.

Great idea I will have to play through them in my second playthrough in that order.

So we have 2 Blights to go, potentially. Do you think we might fast forward a century or two for the 6th Blight at some point? How cool (or not) would it be if the 6th Blight took place in, say, a world war 1 type era, when technology is finally starting to challenge magic as a potent means of projecting power? By my reckoning if mages aren't kept on a leash, societies not dominated by mages will be forced into accelerated scientific discovery as a means to use Lyrium (perhaps) to counter mage threats (from Tevinter and other sientifically repressed mage dominant societies, and a resurgent Elvish magic based culture) without going the Templar route and making masses of soldiers lyrium addicts. It would be a bit Legend of Korra-esque with magic and technology competing for supremacy over society

The 7th Blight: Lyrium equivalent of nuclear weapons, bombing Thedas into a nuclear winter and back to the stone age, or at least the iron age. Then Dragon Age 8: A New Beginning starts with Luke Spiritwalker scavenging for pre-apocalyptic bits of technology in a desert landscape hoping to find something useful to help his uncle's struggling farm. Sounds like a pretty original story.

I really dislike the idea of incorporating technology into an old school magic fueled fantasy RPG. Lasers, supersonic stealth fighters, and ICBMs dont mesh well with fade spirits, darkspawn, and templars IMO.

Yes, if there's another Blight-based game I'd bet on a double-Blight, though I think rescuing the remaining Old Gods before they get tainted by the darkspawn is more likely.

Yes would make for an interesting dynamic... Almost like a preemptive attack on the nature of blights themselves... I personnally wanted to explore more into the deeproads myself. Maybe a new game can present this idea in such a fashion... That war is about to engulf Thedas once again and if Tevinter, Qunari, Fereldens, Orlaisians, Nevarians, Dalish, Dwarves, and Free Folk can eventually come together in some shape or form (almost like Mass Effect 3 lol) than maybe they put together a crusade of some sort to venture into the very deepest pits of the deeproads themselves in hopes of finding the old Gods and destroying or dealing with them before they even get tainted. Maybe your on a quest to recover them both! Halfway through the game you actually arrived too late but witness an Old God actually being tainted and thus you have to deal with an ArchDemon right there on the spot or it flees from you long enough that you just end up searching for the remaining old God. You free it and it bestows great power to your hero or allows itself a single purpose to help you destroy the remaining archdemon, whom since becoming the last of its kind commands even more power than ever before witnessed in the realm...

OHhhhhhhhhh Dragon Age why you leave me with no more content in the foreseable future lol..... arggggg

I personnally wanted to explore more into the deeproads myself.

I like the idea of leading an Exalted March into the deeproads to retake a second Dwarven city from the darkspawn, though it probably wouldn't make a great game.

Great idea I will have to play through them in my second playthrough in that order.

I really dislike the idea of incorporating technology into an old school magic fueled fantasy RPG. Lasers, supersonic stealth fighters, and ICBMs dont mesh well with fade spirits, darkspawn, and templars IMO.

If it was based around a World War I sort of era, where mechanical flight was only just setting off the ground, pardon the pun, then you don't have all that sci-fi stuff. At somewhat of a tangent, but "technology" has made its way into Bloodborne which is a thematic, if not actual, sequel to Demon's/Dark Souls and it only seems to have enhanced the experience for a series of games which is magic fuelled, demon filled fantasy RPG. Admittedly in Bloodborne it's sort of Victorian era, and it appears the only technology is shotguns, bit still technological advancement over previous games within the sequence of games is there.

I like the idea of leading an Exalted March into the deeproads to retake a second Dwarven city from the darkspawn, though it probably wouldn't make a great game.

Reclaiming some part of the deep roads would make for a great smaller scale game along the lines of Dragon Age 2. A pity it couldn't really involve Varric given he's a surfacer through and through.

Reclaiming some part of the deep roads would make for a great smaller scale game along the lines of Dragon Age 2. A pity it couldn't really involve Varric given he's a surfacer through and through.

I'm sure Varric could be persuaded of the need to document such an epic venture 8) The big problem is that "kill darkspawn in caves; kill more darkspawn in more caves; kill even more darkspawn in even more caves" could easily get tedious. We wouldn't be meeting many interesting people to talk to along the way. But I suppose if you brought interesting people along with you, it could work. Make your companions the focus of the story, rather than optional extras, with extensive interconnected personal stories.

Just finally got back on the game. Found a graphics card that fits my computer. So now I need to get 15 power to move the story along. What's the easiest way to do that? Just run around the Hinterlands some more? I have gone to Val Royeaux but not the Storm Coast. Should I go there?

Getting power is easy. Everything you do gives you power. Close rifts, finish quests, do the stupid requisitions if you're feeling particularly masochistic (you never finish these, the annoying requisition officer is always happy to give you a new shopping list as soon as you're done with the last; so it's best to just ignore them). If you do everything you're going to finish the game with 200+ power to spare, and that's without requisitions or buying from the Skyhold merchant.

Just finally got back on the game. Found a graphics card that fits my computer. So now I need to get 15 power to move the story along. What's the easiest way to do that? Just run around the Hinterlands some more? I have gone to Val Royeaux but not the Storm Coast. Should I go there?

Go to the Storm Coast ASAP to unlock iron bull if you haven't already. Talk to krem in haven for the quest. He'll be by the door of the chantry.

E:you want bull. He's goddamn hilarious and a cool bro. You can respec him to be s&b if you want, too. He plays really well that way, actually.

I'm sure Varric could be persuaded of the need to document such an epic venture 8) The big problem is that "kill darkspawn in caves; kill more darkspawn in more caves; kill even more darkspawn in even more caves" could easily get tedious. We wouldn't be meeting many interesting people to talk to along the way. But I suppose if you brought interesting people along with you, it could work. Make your companions the focus of the story, rather than optional extras, with extensive interconnected personal stories.

Well of course there would be the occasional need to head topside for... reasons to break things up. And there's always got to be a dragon to take out at some point in the game. It wouldn't be Dragon Age otherwise.

Archived