Season 5 trailer discussion (book spoilers)

Maid So Fair

Guys, what are our thoughts about the masked guys in Meereen? I first thought they were the Sons of the Harpy (as they are seen killing unsulied somewhere on the trailer). But as I came to think of it, could they be Brazen Beasts?

And anyone, has the Harpy been cast? And what about Shavepate? Are we really sticking with Hizdahr as the only Meereenese character for another season?

And anyone, has the Harpy been cast?

For that to happen, we'd need to know who it is in the first place.

I tend not to concern about Dany's storyline. Personally, I'm all for D&D adapting it their way. I'm curious to see how they'll handle it without adding a few of other important characters.

The same thing can be said about the Northern storyline (no hints of fArya, Manderly, or other Northern lords so far) but many including me think they're gonna be in of some sorts. I wonder if the same could be true for the Meereenese storyline, no hints about some new important characters (apart from Yezzan and Malko) but maybe some surprises in the end.

Arkash, I'm with you there. I'd like that all stories make it to the series (I mean Dorne, Ironborn, Meereen), but of course dropping some characters is necessary (as they have dropped Arianne, Quentyn, Coldhands). I just asked that because if Shavenpate or the Green Grace had been cast, there could be a clue as to who the guys with masks are. But apparently they hadn't.

As for the northern storyline, as much as I love it in the books, I can easily see if working in the series as well, even without Manderly and fArya. The series has done a good job so far (without counting Qarth of course)

Arkash, I'm with you there. I'd like that all stories make it to the series (I mean Dorne, Ironborn, Meereen), but of course dropping some characters is necessary (as they have dropped Arianne, Quentyn, Coldhands). I just asked that because if Shavenpate or the Green Grace had been cast, there could be a clue as to who the guys with masks are. But apparently they hadn't.

As for the northern storyline, as much as I love it in the books, I can easily see if working in the series as well, even without Manderly and fArya. The series has done a good job so far (without counting Qarth of course)

I agree, the show has donde a very good job adapting this mammoth of a series. Episodes like Baelor, Blackwater, The Rains of Castamere and The Watchers On The Wall are easily among the best television I have ever seen in my life. In fact, my unsullied brother almost cry like a baby the first time he watch The Red Wedding, and believe me, he is not precisely the kind of guy that is moved by fiction.

I'm pretty confident that season 5 will be great. There's at least one scene that has the potential to be up there with the aforementionated iconic moments as an absolutely, wonderful, jaw dropping TV landmark (I'm looking at you Drogon...). Not to mention Hardhome, Walk of Shame, The Ides and Mercy, The Sorrows, Doran's Fire and Blood speech, etc.

So far, the only things I had actively disliked are The House Of Undying (my favorite chapter in the books, it was son underwhelming in the show that actually hurts my brain), Jon staying with Ygritte rather than the Halfhand in Season 2 (his whole arc was a mess that season, let's face it) and Yara and her deadly assassins running away from three dogs and a boy in pajama.

Don't know if anyone has already seen this but someone posted Michelle Fairley (?sp) IMDB page in the book section. She is down as "the hooded woman" in s5 e10. Looks like we are getting LSH and I'd predict Brienne bumping into her? Maybe Jaime too if that is leading to where I assume it is in the books

^That's a troll fan-edit. Sue the Fury of WOTW talked to the folks at IMDB and they're trying to have that info removed.

That doesn't mean she's not in but if she was, IMDB would not be where we find out. This has been covered multiple times on almost every thread in the "general" and "casting" show sections btw.

^ Thanks. Thats a let down but better to know now.

Does anyone else think Varys may end up in Dorne? A bald man buried upto his neck is in the trailer. Maybe he travels back to KL by the end of the season with Tyene after proving/talking his way onto their side before he offs Pycelle and Kevan

Don't know if anyone has already seen this but someone posted Michelle Fairley (?sp) IMDB page in the book section. She is down as "the hooded woman" in s5 e10. Looks like we are getting LSH and I'd predict Brienne bumping into her? Maybe Jaime too if that is leading to where I assume it is in the books

At the end of the season, the camera will enter a safe house, in which we see Catlyn Stark, Benjen Stark, and the Hound in a room together. The screen will fade to black, and the word Psyche will be shown on the screen.

Millions of fans will then proceed to cry.

^ Thanks. Thats a let down but better to know now.

Does anyone else think Varys may end up in Dorne? A bald man buried upto his neck is in the trailer. Maybe he travels back to KL by the end of the season with Tyene after proving/talking his way onto their side before he offs Pycelle and Kevan

That actually looks in the trailer like the guy who plays Areo Hotah. As crazy and ludicrous as that storyline would have to be to lead to that conclusion...

I think it's fairly certain that Young Griff's plot has been cut. I am aware of the fact that it must be not very important to the overall story, however, for me it's not a pretty picture that would be lacking but rather a tempting idea. FAegon's role in the story isn't that of a person who isn't really dead, he impersonates Varys's idea of a perfect ruler. I won't go into much detail here. For me, his absence diminishes Varys's character, as books!Varys always has an endgame, while show!Varys seems to begin supporting Daenerys out of the blue.

I have been trying to spam pause and unpause on the trailer around 0:36-0:38 but it isn't terribly helpful, but is there not quite a decent chance that the lone rider chased by three knights is Blackfish? The surroundings seem like the Riverlands, he has similar brown hair and beard, the armor looks appropriate too. Only other thing I can find out in that way is that the nearest of the pursuers does not wear a helmet.

But it would be odd of D&D to practically evacuate the Riverlands of content for this season only to leave there a character most of the audience will not recognize or remember.

Some peculiar cages are in the room where Mel undresses; is that where Ghost is kept? And it is odd also, to place in a cage the flayed corpse on which the raven is feasting at 1:44.

I have been trying to spam pause and unpause on the trailer around 0:36-0:38 but it isn't terribly helpful, but is there not quite a decent chance that the lone rider chased by three knights is Blackfish? The surroundings seem like the Riverlands, he has similar brown hair and beard, the armor looks appropriate too. Only other thing I can find out in that way is that the nearest of the pursuers does not wear a helmet.

But it would be odd of D&D to practically evacuate the Riverlands of content for this season only to leave there a character most of the audience will not recognize or remember.

Some peculiar cages are in the room where Mel undresses; is that where Ghost is kept? And it is odd also, to place in a cage the flayed corpse on which the raven is feasting at 1:44.

Using the spacebar to pause/play, I can't get a clear enough image to tell who it is.

I would LOVE if it were the Blackfish...

I expect as the show diverges more from the books to become worse. Not because of "how dare they fail my book purism!" but because they aren't good enough on their own when not closely adapting GRRM stuff though with some small exceptions.

Case in point, Daenerys in Qarth. All that was changed from teh book, and it was corniest, most unbelievable and hammiest dialogue in the entire show - that fat merchant, or Xaro, or poor Daenerys - being made to say those stupid lines.

The trailers are getting quicker and quicker. I am dreading the next edition. :)

Is this a new thing in trailers? Are they deliberately forcing people to hit pause pause pause pause pause again every half second?

The trailer has got me enthusiastic about the upcoming season, but I'm not sure if show-only fans can make heads or tails of what on earth seems to be going on.

Case in point, Daenerys in Qarth. All that was changed from teh book, and it was corniest, most unbelievable and hammiest dialogue in the entire show - that fat merchant, or Xaro, or poor Daenerys - being made to say those stupid lines.

Which lines specifically? There were a ton of dumb lines in the book, lol.

Am I the only one who actually liked the show's changes to Qarth? Yes? Okay, then. *sits in corner*

Using the spacebar to pause/play, I can't get a clear enough image to tell who it is.

I can get frame-by-frame screenshots of the maybe-Blackfish bit later tonight if that would help.

Archived