On the Sand Snakes

Westeros

While I'm all for Siddig being Doran, having a latino actor being the brother of an sudanese-british one is something Hollywood often does, like we all brownish people are the same :dunno: I'm not offended but it's a bit disrespectful.

In TV it's all about looks, it's not like they tried to bring real life ethnic groups on screen. It has nothing to do with disrespect.

I wouldn't find it disrespectful if a german played a russian guy either, would you?

The Internet Outrage Machine never disappoints to disappoint.

First of all the only fully Dornish characters cast this season are Nymeria and Doran. Doran is darker than I would have expected, but it's better to get the better actor and match the look in a broader sense (I have more of an issue with his age, he looks too young). Nym basically fits the Dornish model, she's lighter than Elaria cast last season. Obara is the daughter of an Oldtown whore, so that could be anything. Tyene is the daughter of a Septa, shes supposed to be pale with blonde hair.

Areo isn't Dornish at all. He's from the Free City of Norvos, far away. In the books he's white with a red beard so kudos to them for changing the character and adding a little diversity. And that goes for everyone. Cast all white actors and your biased, cast different races and youre creating a racial divide. F*ck this president shit bruh

@ Ser Geno the Shitfaced

excellent name, BTW.

GoTs is a fantasy, they should have painted all of the cast in shades of green and purple, like the aliens in Star Trek, so that they avoided the whole damned if you do or don't racism issues.

On the show, Ellaria could be portrayed as mother to all sand snakes. Biological mother to some, adopted mother to others. But a loving mother nonetheless.

Sand snakes in the promo pics looked cute. Lets see how well they do on screen.

This whole race thing-y completely unnecessary and blown out of proportion. What's the point of a high fantasy if it is going to get tied down to real world geography, races, differences in skin colours and all that non sense.

I don't get if they all are green as long as they get them right, and I doubt they will, tbh.

Also, how are Keisha Castle-Hughes and Jessica Henwick "too white"? Isn't that racist? Their skin might be a bit lighter, but that's very awful thing to say. There is more to a "race" than the colour.

There is no racism against whites, people claim. So it can't be racist to say those women are too white. (Sarcasm here.)

Also, come on folks, it's the huffington post. I've not paid serious attention to them for years, why does anybody else?

On the show, Ellaria could be portrayed as mother to all sand snakes. Biological mother to some, adopted mother to others. But a loving mother nonetheless.

Sand snakes in the promo pics looked cute. Lets see how well they do on screen.

This whole race thing-y completely unnecessary and blown out of proportion. What's the point of a high fantasy if it is going to get tied down to real world geography, races, differences in skin colours and all that non sense.

I agree wholeheartedly with the third point.

Significant improvement will be required on the Sand Snakes based on their introduction scene. It is terrible, as is what the show appears to have done to Ellaria.

Can they do something right? :(

No.

Maybe I feel this because I know quite a lot about the books though I did not read it. For a new viewer maybe it would be OK.

The dialogue quality this season has sunk to an all time low. Cliche scenes we have seen many times in different shows.

A weird cliche scene. Unaired.

Sand snKes standing in the middle of nowhere for no reason.

Ellaria rides up yo them.

One line about Doran being useless.

Then comes the shittiest part

"we have to avenge oberyn ourselves..who all are with me?

A minute wasted as each snake makes up her mind and says " I'm in".

Then like an old 80's detective film.

"I have some information. The lannister is in dorne"

"Ooh. They are here for Myrcella"

"Oh. We must make a plan"

"Good lets do this"

"Wow. Good plan"

Uhh. I couldn't bear the poor dialogues.

Tyene is shown as a little kid who cuddles next to her mother. Nymeria's only existance is to use the whip since there are scorpions around.

Obara was the only one who seemed "sand snake"

Thankfully there was no scene were they all huddled up in a circle said Hut.

• 2 weeks later...

<p>According to the Huffington Post, <a href="http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/03/03/game-of-thrones-sand-snakes-racist_n_6795148.html">an uproar</a> about the casting of the Sand Snakes, the daughters of <a href="http://www.westeros.org/GoT/Characters/Entry/Oberyn_Nymeros_Martell">Prince Oberyn Martell</a> by various women. Tthe recent <a href="http://www.westeros.org/GoT/News/Entry/The_Weapons_of_Dorne">Weapons of Dorne</a> video which gave many fans their first really clear look at the actors in costume made a few on Twitter realize that the characters did not really look very much like the characters described in the books but the outrage isnt about that, but rather by the fact that all the characters are white.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, this says more about reader myopia than it does the shows casting. The outrage is based on the reading of the Dornish as being another race than the people youll find in the rest of the Seven Kingdoms, but in fact that divides in Westeros are not really racial but ethnic in nature, largely about culture and not skin color. According to George R.R. Martin, this is <a href="http://grrm.livejournal.com/326474.html?thread=17863242#t17863242">how he envisioned</a> the Dornish when he created them:</p>

<strong><a href="http://www.westeros.org/GoT/News/Entry/On_the_Sand_Snakes">read on &gt;&gt;&gt;</a></strong>

Visit the Site!

What's worse is that they're not all white!

• 2 weeks later...

The Sand Snakes are a consolidation of the eldest of 8 daughters. Kudos to GoT for casting them and Elaria with such random diversity. Was excited to see Areo cast as he was (one of my fav' Dornish characters) but my first impression was, that "he wasn't from the Summer Isles".

I think Rory McGann was perfect for the page King Robert in looks but made a wonderful TV Hound...wouldn't want anyone else to play it, Mark Addy WAS phenomenal as Robert.

Hollywood and other filmmakers almost always cast British and Irish actors for Ancient Greeks and Romans. I was upset at Brad Pitt

playing Achilles, but he did deliver. Let's wait until we see the Sand Snakes in action, I hope they get rigorous training with their weaponry.

I loved the book characters for being so badass...hope their TV counterparts will not disappoint.

I agree wholeheartedly with the third point.

Significant improvement will be required on the Sand Snakes based on their introduction scene. It is terrible, as is what the show appears to have done to Ellaria.

Yes. I couldn't care less if the Sand Snakes are black, white, brown, purple, or sky blue pink with yellow dots on - their introduction was atrocious. And I speak as someone who gives the show an awful lot of leeway because I judge it purely on how much it entertains me. And from the (albeit fleeting) view of Dorne in next week's promo, I can't see it getting any better. I feel I'm going to find Dorne a huge disappointment this year. :( I hope I'm wrong....

Darkstar is one of the biggest idiots in the books. So who does the show model Ellaria and the Sand Snakes after? Ugh. An entire nest of Darkstars. TV Oberyn is better off dead.

Also, Ellaria's haircut looks stupid.

My only problem is the accent (and also Ellaria's haircut). Pedro Pascal was really convincing because it was the accent he grew up with. But Ellaria and the Sand Snakes are trying too hard to copy it. Maybe it would have been better to cast Sand Snakes from Spain or South America who have a similar accent when speaking English. Or just let them keep their own accent.

Something I find sad and dissappointing is that D&D didn't think of the possibilities Dorne had.

I know most fans see Dorne as the Westeros version of Spain, but it was more to me, it was the Westerosi collection of all things exotic. So, if they can pull it off, let them have fitting accent.s

Henwick, who plays Nymeria, is of Chinese descent, if she can pull one off have her sport a Chinese accent and say it's form Yi Ti or if she can't do that just let her have a British one and say it comes from her noble Volantis heritage or some shit.

The woman playing Nymeria is from New Zealand, let her have a kiwi accent.

Indira Virma is from India, so is Alexander Siddig.

And Rosabel whatshername has an Italian heritage.

And yet you have all of them try to pull off a Spanish accent? Well, maybe they'll switch accents Littlefinger-style, who knows.

Archived