Comics XI: Modok's 11

Sci-2

Also kind of played out. Genosha, Utopia, Avalon, Asteroid M.

But in this version they can focus on how they have nothing to do with the rest of Marvel. With the possible exception of Wolverine.

Weirdly if Marvel did throw all the X-men into an alternate Earth, keeping most of the continuity, I'd probably be tempted to buy it. I like the sound of an X-franchise that doesn't have to get caught up as second-class citizens in crossovers. Although I'd also want them to keep the title number down - maybe 4 books and slowly add more as necessary.

Really liked Wytches #6. Thought it was a good end to the first arc. Interested to see where it goes from here. This book continues to be one of the creepiest comics going right now. Jock's art is a perfect fit too.

I've always been a fan of Jock but i'm shocked at how I never really considered he'd be great for a horror book. I guess I just remember him for his action/cinematography from "losers"

I've always been a fan of Jock but i'm shocked at how I never really considered he'd be great for a horror book. I guess I just remember him for his action/cinematography from "losers"

jock was also awesome on green arrow: year one, which, as you probably know, was instrumental to guggenheim and his boys when bullet-pointing arrow the tv series.

anywho, and i could just be getting old, but convergence and secret wars really aren't doing much for me so far...the exception being the grant morrison/multiverse issues. the dedicated SW book has potential, as i really enjoyed #1 but, with marvel, everything seems to have become a ret-con pot-luck. these big events seem to seek only the washing out of undesirable plot lines and the un-organic insertion of "things going forward"

as i gravitate even more towards image, i wonder when the paradigm will shift. creators currently run to image to tell the stories that they want to tell and, in a universe without much coherence, it is infinitely easier to do. however, outside of movie rights and things like that, the career in it seems kind of stunted and self serving.

so then, image...a place where in demand creators can tell the stories they actually want to tell. on the one hand, it brings us to unknown universes and stories told about characters who we actually get to know for the first time but, on the other hand, these same stories could be told in a decades old continuity with the possibility for true lasting effects... at this point, you could actually insert any far reaching, life changing company wide crossover and know that "this is the current iteration" but, when the "current" fades you have to go through it all over again.

the secret, of course; is money and intellectual property and all of that shit that i don't really bother getting into. as a layman, it swiftly gets over my head to the point to which i no longer care. i will point out the obvious, though. I have read an infinite numer of old stories, primarily in the marvel universe, that i super wish i could wash away but i can't. on the flip side of that, any story that generated the capacity for true change was washed out in the name of solidarity.

yossarion would be pleased.

/no more booze dot com

#quitoverthinkingit

I guess we have to see how DC's new approach works out. They seem to genuinely be trying to make books to appeal to different demographics (Image is pretty much aimed solely at mature readers) and, even more promising, seem to be taking an easy attitude towards continuity. Some of the books coming out don't even seem consistent for when a character appears in several titles. It sends shivers down the spine of a long-term comic reader but I applaud them giving it a go. I also hope it succeeds. Just let writers/artists tell good stories and see how they sell. Given DCs most successful trades, it seems they should have tried this approach a long time ago.

It's not like continuity really exists with the big two anyhow. Most stories get undone within an 8-10 year cycle -unless a writer sticks around longer.

The good thing about this apparent new approach by DC is that it will probably encourage some of the Image creators to do a stint on a favourite character (or for the lowing selling Image titles, prop that series up with some work-for-hire). What most of the image creators love is the lack of editorial mandates. DC went through a phase of being micromanaged during new52 so this "hands off" approach may bring in some writers with great story arcs in mind.

I get the impression that Marvel writers have more freedom in what they can do - the problem I see is overwhelming drive to tie every title in to a cohesive shared world to the point they are always having to interupt their own stories. Maybe some of them will be drawn to DC - if it works.

It's an interesting time. I think Image are genuinely pulling in new readers with their books but the big two tend to rely on existing comic fans and ensuring they buy as many books as possible off them. If DC could start tapping into the girl market and comedy markets it'll be really healthy for the industry. DC seems to have gone all-in based on their success with Harley Quinn but they aren't putting all their eggs in one basket.

This isn't to say Marvel are totally missing the mark. Ms Marvel and spider-gwen seem to be doing really well and I guess they are appealing to a different demographic too. Spider-Gwen is in an alt-world too so it shows the books don't all have to be tied-in (although spider-verse muddies the water a little with that). I just get the impression Marvel still concentrates mainly on milking the hardcore for all they are worth. You could argue those sales help keep the more "indie" books stay afloat - although spider-gwen certainly doesn't need propping up.

Although at the same time it's the franchise that never works for DC so it'd be worth a shot if he was interested. For DC at least.

I've been reading Every Single LOSH and LOSH-Related Comic From The Beginning; I'm in 1991 right now, and the continuity fuckery they imposed on it is really starting to show the strain. I just suspect, given his Avengers, that Hickman would completely miss the boat that what we love in LOSH is the rich character interaction and continuously running subplots. I particularly suspect he would write an awful and insufferable Brainy and really miss the boat on what makes him work.

I haven't read the classic LOSH but have tried it on and off since the Waid run. Waid's run was great for a while but it seemed to implode on itself fairly quickly for some reason. Could have been editorial or Waid's heart wasn't in it.

Oh God, the post-Zero Hour Legion changed my life. That was my era. I never read the prior Legion because I choose to always remember the Legion as they were during that time.

Okay, what's the retrospective on Geoff Johns' N52 Justice League? They're having a huge sale over at Comixology for the N52 stuff. When it comes to DC, I've only dwelled in Gotham lately. Among other purchasing, I've been thinking of pulling the trigger on JL, but as JL could be considered the flagship N52 title -- when that's not exactly a great distinction -- I'm wondering if it's worth it. I like Johns well enough and they've had some solid artists. What say you?

John's Justice League is ok...

It at least can be read without having to read all the solo titles. It's a very safe title though - there isn't even a sign of John's franchise skills with Flash and Green Lantern. The art is pretty good.

I'm maybe not much of a team book reader these days but Avengers has been better (although I faded out on that too). I miss Ellis' Storwatch/Authority - that should have been a template for team books but no-one really managed it with the possible exception of Morrison's new x-men.

Oh God, the post-Zero Hour Legion changed my life. That was my era. I never read the prior Legion because I choose to always remember the Legion as they were during that time.

Okay, what's the retrospective on Geoff Johns' N52 Justice League? They're having a huge sale over at Comixology for the N52 stuff. When it comes to DC, I've only dwelled in Gotham lately. Among other purchasing, I've been thinking of pulling the trigger on JL, but as JL could be considered the flagship N52 title -- when that's not exactly a great distinction -- I'm wondering if it's worth it. I like Johns well enough and they've had some solid artists. What say you?

Given that setup, for the love of god don't read 5YL Legion (after the timeskip), but you owe it to yourself to read Levitz Legion from the early 80s. Post-ZH is like a pale reflection of it in so many ways, and a lot of characters got shorted in it compared to their awesomeness there.

Johns JL becomes a decent book somewhere around the Throne of Atlantis crossover. I'm cautiously excited about the upcoming storyline, but largely because he's done all his reading on the New Gods and he's deliberately ignoring everything Daniel Wilson did with them in Earth 2: World's End, because Wilson wrote BIG BARDA as a traitorous genocidaire and said it was giving her more depth. Hate. HAAAATE.

Ellis Authority is a weird comic to read these days because it's been so influential that it's now dated, but I blame it for decompression, too.

Ellis Authority is a weird comic to read these days because it's been so influential that it's now dated, but I blame it for decompression, too.

The decompression is part of the reason I prefer his Stormwatch run as there was more thought on characters than super-awesome action.

Millar did a decent job but I'm surprised no-one else ever got the Authority to work. I always put it down to DC interference. Or it could be that other comics upped their game to the point the Authority no longer serve a purpose. I just struggle to think of a team book I've really liked over the last 5 years. Best I can come up with is Black Science that's sort of super hero style.

The decompression is part of the reason I prefer his Stormwatch run as there was more thought on characters than super-awesome action.

Millar did a decent job but I'm surprised no-one else ever got the Authority to work. I always put it down to DC interference. Or it could be that other comics upped their game to the point the Authority no longer serve a purpose. I just struggle to think of a team book I've really liked over the last 5 years. Best I can come up with is Black Science that's sort of super hero style.

Ellis' run on The Authority (and, if I'm honest, the early part of Miller's run on The Authority) stands (probably alongside the first volume of Miller's The Ultimates) a the best straight up, wide-screen superheroics out there.

Ellis' run on The Authority (and, if I'm honest, the early part of Miller's run on The Authority) stands (probably alongside the first volume of Miller's The Ultimates) a the best straight up, wide-screen superheroics out there.

I know it's not cool to admit liking Millar but his early (or more accurately breakout work) explains how he was able to get the following that turned him into a movie-making (via great adaptations) machine. Utlimates in particular as he was reigned in from his immature nature as Marvel didn't want things being too crass/sensational. While Hitch was excellent on Ultimates, I do think Millar was lucky in having Quietly on Authority (even if it did run into delays).

It's a shame Morrison's Authority only lasted one issue (unless it's true he plotted some of Millar's run). The whole stillbirth of Morrison's Wildstorm relaunch was a great shame. It's also a shame the wildstorm characters can't stick these days.

Thanks! @ red snow and Valkyrie. I decided to pull the trigger on the Justice League issues. I really like all the artists they used throughout the current JL run, so if nothing else, it'll be nice to look at. I'm cautiously optimistic about the upcoming DC shifts in philosophy, so I'm trying to catch up. The only side of the DC Universe I haven't slacked on is the Batverse. I tend to veer towards Marvel, so my DC reading always falls off when I get behind on comics.

I hear a ton about the Levitz LoSH stuff...I know he's credited as the definitive LoSH writer. One day, I'll get around to it. I associate that post-Zero Hour Legion with everything warm and fuzzy in life -- specifically, the Moy-drawn Legionnaires title.

I know it's not cool to admit liking Millar but his early (or more accurately breakout work) explains how he was able to get the following that turned him into a movie-making (via great adaptations) machine. Utlimates in particular as he was reigned in from his immature nature as Marvel didn't want things being too crass/sensational. While Hitch was excellent on Ultimates, I do think Millar was lucky in having Quietly on Authority (even if it did run into delays).

It's a shame Morrison's Authority only lasted one issue (unless it's true he plotted some of Millar's run). The whole stillbirth of Morrison's Wildstorm relaunch was a great shame. It's also a shame the wildstorm characters can't stick these days.

It is pretty amazing how much the movie adaptations of Millar's work have improved upon the source material. Who would have thought that all his work needed was an actual sympathetic protagonist or two and the removal of gratuitous sexual violence to be entertaining?

It is pretty amazing how much the movie adaptations of Millar's work have improved upon the source material. Who would have thought that all his work needed was an actual sympathetic protagonist or two and the removal of gratuitous sexual violence to be entertaining?

Millar's capable of good work when he feels like it, which is always fun when you're backreading and you run across, like, him writing a fill-in Wonder Woman issue starring Cassie and it's utterly charming.

Light week for me, just got Autumnlands #6 & Wicked + Divine #11. Both were good. They both wrapped up their current arcs, and also both ended with fairly large cliffhangers.

Got around to reading Sandman Overture #5 from last week as well. We finally got the reveal of who Dream's mother is

Dusk

The art in this series continues to be absolutely gorgeous too. I can definitely see why these issues are taking so long.

It almost makes you wish Jane Goldman scripted his comics. I sort of hope Jonathan Ross would be like some kind of hybrid of the two but I've only ever managed an issue of Ross' work. It's not that his books are bad they just don't really appeal to me - I actually think he'd be suited to writing Marvel/DC than creator-owned.

Millar's capable of good work when he feels like it, which is always fun when you're backreading and you run across, like, him writing a fill-in Wonder Woman issue starring Cassie and it's utterly charming.

Certainly. It just fizzled out once he'd hit the big time and decided what made him a success was his "Kick-ass" approach. Sales (and movie scripts) would suggest he's right. It's just a shame he hasn't really done any of the heartfelt work in his creator-owned stuff. We know he's capable of it. The other problem is his attempts at being current and "hip". It probably worked in the early 2000s when he was more in touch but it feels like he got stuck there and it's a bit cringeworthy when he does it now. Like Stan Lee talking about tweets and instagram.

Light week for me, just got Autumnlands #6 & Wicked + Divine #11. Both were good. They both wrapped up their current arcs, and also both ended with fairly large cliffhangers.

Got around to reading Sandman Overture #5 from last week as well. We finally got the reveal of who Dream's mother is

Dusk

The art in this series continues to be absolutely gorgeous too. I can definitely see why these issues are taking so long.

I'm going to pick up the trades of both those books. Been waiting for Autumnlands to hit that point.

Pleased Sandman is nearing completion too - means I can get round to that. I'm sure the art will be sumptuous but I still think DC shouldn't have brought it out until it was finished.

Dusk

Like Red Snow I am reading these in trade. Autumnlands comes out in July and I see the Sandman Overture on Amazon is scheduled for November. I did not know they only just released no.5, presumably no.6 will be out before October then. Really looking forward to reading these collected.

Like Red Snow I am reading these in trade. Autumnlands comes out in July and I see the Sandman Overture on Amazon is scheduled for November. I did not know they only just released no.5, presumably no.6 will be out before October then. Really looking forward to reading these collected.

November could happen - it gives them 5 months for issue 6 to come out.

Certainly. It just fizzled out once he'd hit the big time and decided what made him a success was his "Kick-ass" approach. Sales (and movie scripts) would suggest he's right. It's just a shame he hasn't really done any of the heartfelt work in his creator-owned stuff. We know he's capable of it. The other problem is his attempts at being current and "hip". It probably worked in the early 2000s when he was more in touch but it feels like he got stuck there and it's a bit cringeworthy when he does it now. Like Stan Lee talking about tweets and instagram.

Starlight is 100% not edgy and heartfelt, with gorgeous Goran Parlov art.

Archived