Will Sam face his father before the end?

Before the story ends, before one of them dies, whatever the case, do you think these two will have an interaction? And if so, what will the context be?

It's way too fanciful to imagine Randyll being penitent towards how he treated Sam or being proud of what Sam has accomplished. And while having Randyll die at the hands of his despised son would be a very Tyrion-esque conclusion to that story, I don't see it happening. But having Sam face his father and when a verbal showdown would be nice.

I can see a scenario where Sam is back at the wall as its Maester. Randyll and the rest of the Small Council/Power-behind-the-throne try to cow Sam on some issue in which they want the Night Watch to take a certain action. Sam has a North-of-the-Wall flashback, grabs an obsidian blade and kills them all…or maybe he just sticks to his guns and gives the LC the advice he believes in.

Yes, though in a GRRM kind of way. It wont be where Randyll Tarly sees Samwell as completely redeemed in his eyes and regrets sending him off, he will still hate him, just have a grudging respect for him. It'll be a Bittersweet win for Samwell.

And I dont see Samwell killing anybody ever again. Other was self defense. George wont do that twice.

I agree with the OP. A verbal showdown would be fine, something like:

Randyll: "Ugh, you were a fat weakling before, and now you even want to wear a chain?"

Sam:"Father, for once in your life, shut the fuck up!"

I think so but I'm afraid it would be pretty cheesy. Like:

Sam: "Look, dad, I joined the Night's Watch, I was behind the Wall, I survive attacks by wildings, zombies, rebels, I killed a zombie and I f**ked that girl. Oh and the baby is my bastard."

Randyll: "How blind was I! Sam, you are my best son. Sucks for you, Dickon, hand over Heartsbane, Sam deserves it more."

To avoid this, I'd prefer Randyll to refuse to acknowledge any of Sam's achievements. I would hurt Sam but eventually he would realize that his dad would never love him and he would become stronger and more independent thanks to it.

Well, Sam is currently in the Reach, studying in Oldtown to forge his links on his maester's chain. That will take him a few years, so I see a possibility of them meeting somewhere along the way. Even more so now that he put Gilly under his mothers protection at Horn Hill. Randyll won't like that and will confront Sam. I wonder if Sam can stand up to his father though...

I think Samwell will end up on the chair of Heartsbane when it's all said and done. GRRM loves to make weak, underachieving characters succeed in the end, and Sam has been slowly built up from a fat, useless NW member to something more prominent.

Everyone thinks Gilly is going to Horn Hill because that was in the plan...we should know GRRM better than that.

Chances are good that the Cinnamon Wind is already under sail for Mereen with Marwyn, Gilly and the babe on board. (and I wouldn't doubt that Gilly is pregnant with Sam's kid for real)

But back to the father/son topic. I'm guessing that there will be a meeting between the two and it won't be all smiles and bunnies. Randyl and Dickon may not survive the coming war with the Others because I think Sam will end up with Heartsbane. I don't think Sam will get back to the Wall and chances are, he'll not finish his chain just because there's not enough time in the books. Something makes me think that Westeros as we know it will be forever changed once the story is done.

There will probably be a father/son confrontation with Randyl still verbally abusing Sam, but Sam will suck it up and stand up to him. He'll get his father's grudging respect, but Dickon may be the one to give Sam the blade as he's dying himself..

yep, Randyll will be sent to the wall and imo he will have a Janos Slynt attitude seeing Sam in a high authority position at the Watch.

And, like Jon and Slynt, Sam will behead him for insubordination.

Archived