UK Politics: General Election Triviality

DJDonegal

ps in case Commodore is reading this, you have to understand that football in UK politics is like religion in US politics. Politicians must pretend they're devoted to it even if they really never pay any attention to it.

Highlighted the other day when Cameron forgot he was meant to support Villa and told everyone he wanted them to support West Ham.

Mainstream politicians are so pathetically eager to appear to be normal that stupid situations like this (like eating a hotdog with a knife and fork, eating a bacon sandwich or putting a coin in a cup wrongly) crop up all the time.

Despite the fact that the success of weirdos like Farage and Boris Johnson tells you that the electorate don"t care about eccentricities as long as you own them and be genuine rather than try to be liked.

That football thing could easily have happened to me in a conversation, not because I don"t like football or don't identify with a team but just because I sometimes mix up words like everybody does. The awkwardness in the aftermath is the thing that always trips them up.

A strong contender for fib of the day: Yvette Cooper blaming Tory cuts to police numbers for the increase in violent crime. Unfortunately, the ONS figures show violent crime continuing to decline steeply.

And chances are if she's called on it she'll do the same thing everyone does when called out on the "violent crime is rising because of cuts/immigrants/games/broken-britain/Jane-Austen-novels". Claim that you need to look at specific examples (i.e the only statistic that fits their narrative) or my personal favourite that I've seen a couple times "But fear of crime is rising" which is mind numbingly stupid as a response

She went with the other pathetic dodge, that being that the last set of statistics, which were published in February, are out of date, and that the ones that will be published next year will see a sudden reversal in this 20 year-long trend.

She went with the other pathetic dodge, that being that the last set of statistics, which were published in February, are out of date, and that the ones that will be published next year will see a sudden reversal in this 20 year-long trend.

That's great. :lol:

In Cameron's defence, doesn't his family have genuine ties to Aston Villa? Maybe he thought he'd better mention a London team as he was in London.

ps in case Commodore is reading this, you have to understand that football in UK politics is like religion in US politics. Politicians must pretend they're devoted to it even if they really never pay any attention to it.

John Major got around that by being a cricket nut.

The state of the polls, with nine days to go:-

Lord Ashcroft 6% Con lead

Survation 3% Con lead

Com Res 4% Con lead

ICM 3% Con lead

Opinium 1% Con lead

Yougov 1% Con lead (but average 1% Labour lead over the past seven days)

MORI 2% Lab lead

TNS 2% Lab lead Now Con 1% lead.

Populus 3% Lab lead

Panelbase 3% Lab lead

Scotland looks like a whitewash for the SNP.

My guess at this point is that the Conservatives will come first in terms of votes and seats, but without sufficient numbers to form a government. But, there is movement in the Conservatives' favour, so that could change.

I culled this from the BBC website so am not sure how accurate or nuanced it is, but:

"Labour in Scotland wants to repeal SNP legislation banning the singing of sectarian songs at football matches"

Bwuh? I figured sectarian song-singing equated incitement to hatred, i.e. a crime...

I don't think singing a song, even if offensive, should be made a crime., unless one is actually threatening someone. I think Labour are right about this.

Scotland looks like a whitewash for the SNP.

Might actually be interesting in my constituency for the first time in memory. Current predictions seem to be a very narrow win for the SNP, who are running a 20 year old student with no experience of anything, who announced to the media during the referendum that she'd like to "put the nut on" Labour councillors, against Lab's Foreign Secretary Douglas Alexander (who had a 16,000 majority last time out).

Might actually be interesting in my constituency for the first time in memory. Current predictions seem to be a very narrow win for the SNP, who are running a 20 year old student with no experience of anything, who announced to the media during the referendum that she'd like to "put the nut on" Labour councillors, against Lab's Foreign Secretary Douglas Alexander (who had a 16,000 majority last time out).

Heaven or Hell.

In ten days' time, Douglas Alexander could be Foreign Secretary or an ex-MP.

Anyone who'd suggested 12 months ago that Labour could lose Paisley South would have been called an idiot.

http://www.sconews.co.uk/news/35780/scottish-labour-vow-to-scrap-anti-sectarian-football-bill/

I culled this from the BBC website so am not sure how accurate or nuanced it is, but:

"Labour in Scotland wants to repeal SNP legislation banning the singing of sectarian songs at football matches"

Bwuh? I figured sectarian song-singing equated incitement to hatred, i.e. a crime...

Labour's position, alongside all the other opposition parties, is that the law is stupid and meaningless, as it does not define what a sectarian song is, rather than that they are in favour of "hate speech".

http://leftfootforward.org/2011/12/snp-scottish-anti-sectarianism-bill-unites-the-opposition/

Yeah, there's hardly any way to put that that doesn't make it sound awful. But basically, Labour dislike the legislation because they think it's unworkable and resent the way it was forced through, rather than because they're pro-sectarian hatred or anything. (Although the history of the Labour party in the West of Scotland does have some sectarianism involved, inevitably.)

ETA - the other bit of context here that may be relevant is that the big clubs in Scotland (ie the Old Firm) have blocked the football authorities from introducing a 'strict liability' rule for this sort of behaviour, as applies in UEFA competition.

Heaven or Hell.

In ten days' time, Douglas Alexander could be Foreign Secretary or an ex-MP.

Anyone who'd suggested 12 months ago that Labour could lose Paisley South would have been called an idiot.

He could be the new Chris Patton, though hopefully without the general election win.

Archived