What constitutes a thread locking offense around here?

BitsOfBrains

I have seen a few threads here and there get locked for various reasons.

Often times its because people get way off track and it devolves into a discussion of real world political ideology, nationalism, personal attacks etc. but I have seen some locked for reasons I can't quite figure out.

For instance an, "I love Robert Baratheon" thread got locked as well as an, "I hate Daven Lannister" thread where for the most part it was totally book based discussion with maybe a few people getting snotty/a little personal but nothing beyond what you see on most threads.

I have seen threads where some people get real personal and nasty and its game on and I have seen pretty mundane civil threads that get locked pretty quickly.

Whats the criteria/threshold for thread locking?

Any thread devoted to the hating of a character, book, or the author gets locked in a hurry.

Also, threads that are deemed to be duplicates (i.e. something that's been covered already, sometimes in exhaustive detail--example: the time when there were multiple Mance = Rhaegar threads popping up each week for about a month) get locked. Speculative threads about release dates sometimes. Discussions of certain relationship issues (especially if involves highly sensitive subjects like rape).

Other than that I'm not sure.

Often times its because people get way off track and it devolves into a discussion of real world political ideology, nationalism, personal attacks etc. but I have seen some locked for reasons I can't quite figure out.

For instance an, "I love Robert Baratheon" thread got locked as well as an, "I hate Daven Lannister" thread where for the most part it was totally book based discussion with maybe a few people getting snotty/a little personal but nothing beyond what you see on most threads.

"Someone told. Someone always tells."

Someone used the "report" button, to be more precise.

I have seen threads where some people get real personal and nasty and its game on

And there, for a change, mayhaps nobody told, and that's what made the difference.

Any thread devoted to the hating of a character, book, or the author gets locked in a hurry.

Also, threads that are deemed to be duplicates (i.e. something that's been covered already, sometimes in exhaustive detail--example: the time when there were multiple Mance = Rhaegar threads popping up each week for about a month) get locked. Speculative threads about release dates sometimes. Discussions of certain relationship issues (especially if involves highly sensitive subjects like rape).

Other than that I'm not sure.

This is just weird. Talk all you want about child murdering, massacres, unspeakable torture, incest but when it comes to things like rape or walk of shame (though no one gave a fuck about High Septons walk of shame in show) it is too much?

I have seen threads where some people get real personal and nasty and its game on and I have seen pretty mundane civil threads that get locked pretty quickly.

Whats the criteria/threshold for thread locking?

A good example would be the thread posted below. You may remember this thread, it got locked after you and a couple of other posters degraded it down to rape and Dany engaging in bestiality.

Who does Daenerys love more? Daario or Drogo?

Started by mystickristoff , May 25 2015 11:31 PM

People love to claim offense

I can think of almost nothing sillier then taking offense to something posted online in on a forum that focuses on discussion about a completely fictional world. Just find something else to read, there are thousands of topics to choose from.

People love to claim offense

I can think of almost nothing sillier then taking offense to something posted online in on a forum that focuses on discussion about a completely fictional world. Just find something else to read, there are thousands of topics to choose from.

"taking offense"

its not just threads either. it's society's way of life. its how people get away with absolutely everything, their way of "proving superiority" is "getting offended"

"taking offense"

its not just threads either. it's society's way of life. its how people get away with absolutely everything, their way of "proving superiority" is "getting offended"

Agreed.

Too much thought policing in the name of being nice. Just leads to one side being shut down and destroys discussion.

A good example would be the thread posted below. You may remember this thread, it got locked after you and a couple of other posters degraded it down to rape and Dany engaging in bestiality. Who does Daenerys love more? Daario or Drogo?

Started by mystickristoff , May 25 2015 11:31 PM

Yes but I don't recall being wrong in that thread, just quoting text.

This is just weird. Talk all you want about child murdering, massacres, unspeakable torture, incest but when it comes to things like rape or walk of shame (though no one gave a fuck about High Septons walk of shame in show) it is too much?

I agree. While rape is a horrible thing to think about, the fact is that characters in the book were the victims of it. The only way to have complete discussions of the book is to be allowed to discuss rape.

While in theory the forum policy only forbids wishing rape on a character/ encouraging rape, in practice the moderators are quick to stomp down on any mention of rape. Even if a post mentions rape in a way that is within the rules but that a moderator still disagrees with.

I agree. While rape is a horrible thing to think about, the fact is that characters in the book were the victims of it. The only way to have complete discussions of the book is to be allowed to discuss rape.

While in theory the forum policy only forbids wishing rape on a character/ encouraging rape, in practice the moderators are quick to stomp down on any mention of rape. Even if a post mentions rape in a way that is within the rules but that a moderator still disagrees with.

100% agree on all points here

I'm ok with most of this forums rules, but the lack of transparency does suck. Would it be that hard to have the moderators include a reason with each lock? Some mods are very good about this, other times you'll just see threads locked and be left to wonder why. The worst part is that threads like this inquiring about the system inevitably get locked. You're told to PM the mods with any questions about why a thread was locked. I've only PMed a mod about a thread locking once, but I never got a reply.

I think for the most part the mods just expect us to be adults and moderate ourselves.

Threads get locked if they get bogged down in discussing rape, are mean to GRRM or any of his ASoIaF characters (ie: hate threads) without reasonable criticism or in situations where posters get too bitchy with each other and stop playing the ball.

I think for the most part the mods just expect us to be adults and moderate ourselves.Threads get locked if they get bogged down in discussing rape ...

Why the heck do they not want us to discuss rape? Its a big part of the Asoiaf series, so if they don't let us discuss it then awe can't fully discuss the books.

I'm ok with most of this forums rules, but the lack of transparency does suck. Would it be that hard to have the moderators include a reason with each lock? Some mods are very good about this, other times you'll just see threads locked and be left to wonder why. The worst part is that threads like this inquiring about the system inevitably get locked. You're told to PM the mods with any questions about why a thread was locked. I've only PMed a mod about a thread locking once, but I never got a reply.

Glad to have full agreement. We should at least have a reason for why a thread is locked. The fact that they don't, and that they lock threads questioning the system, is frustrating to say the least.

Archived