What comes after R+L=J is revealed?

Dr Qyburn M.D

Here's something that i've been thinking about now for a while. Presuming Jons alive, Lets just say Howland Reed or whoever tells him about his true parentage, what happens next?? He turned down becoming Lord Of Winterfell so he could do the same with the kingship.

And who would support a bastard who breaks his Nights Watch vows?

Here's something that i've been thinking about now for a while. Presuming Jons alive, Lets just say Howland Reed or whoever tells him about his true parentage, what happens next?? He turned down becoming Lord Of Winterfell so he could do the same with the kingship.

And who would support a bastard who breaks his Nights Watch vows?

GRRM, "the more you're trying to avoid them, the more likely it will happen."

My guess is Jon would keep that knowledge to himself. He would be angry for a while, and reject his Targaryen heritage, but he would eventually come around and accept it. I think he would press his claim only if he thought it was the only way to get Dany and her dragons and army to deal with the Others.

My guess is Jon would keep that knowledge to himself. He would be angry for a while, and reject his Targaryen heritage, but he would eventually come around and accept it. I think he would press his claim only if he thought it was the only way to get Dany and her dragons and army to deal with the Others.

Yep he will keep it to himself but I believe he will come to Dany's aid somehow because of Jon's strong loyalty to family and while he has never met Dany she is family.

If Jon mounts the Iron Throne it will probably be at the end, and I doubt its going to be a happy-go-lucky affair, at least for Jon. If he takes the throne it won't be out of ambition or real desire for the throne, but out of a sense of duty. After all we are talking about a realm that is potentially even more war-torn than it already is, with the most recent war not even being against other humans. More than ever the realm will need a strong leader, perhaps the guy that just led them to victory against the Others, who is also a member of the traditional royal house to boot.

The reason I hold more to this theory is what GRRM has said about Aragorn, to my understanding the GRRM's issue with Aragorn wasn't that he became king, but that he became king "and they all lived happily ever after." GRRM wanted to know what was Aragorn's tax policy? What troubles did he face in his reign? Etc.

The reason I hold more to this theory is what GRRM has said about Aragorn, to my understanding the GRRM's issue with Aragorn wasn't that he became king, but that he became king "and they all lived happily ever after." GRRM wanted to know what was Aragorn's tax policy? What troubles did he face in his reign? Etc.

From what I remember from the Unfinished Tales, there was a war with remnants of Sauron supporters but it wasn't a very big war, more of a mop up for Aragorn.

Sounds nice. The only remaining question is "who is going to deal with dragons afterwards?".

I think the Wall is coming down, and there will be no Night's Watch soon. Jon will have to lead the fight against the Others before that, so he won't have time to worry about the throne. His parentage is important because it makes him ice and fire. I really don't expect him to sit the throne after, because I think he's coming back to life specifically to defeat the Others with Dany and her dragons and then die. That's his destiny.

If he does survive all that, there will be no Watch and no Wall to be loyal to, so he can sit the throne.

Well, I don't think Jons parantege is going to be revealed to Jon first specifically. It's been foreshadowed that Bran is most likely going to meet Howland Reed first, and one can only assume that it will be him that learns Jon's parentage. Jon won't know because he'll be in a coma for a while, but he'll recover. By the time it's revealed to Jon, the major climax of the book(s) will start to happen, so they'll be plenty of other things going on.

Stays at the wall.

Unlike the rest he knows what threat lies beyond the wall. People mistake Jon if they think he would be stupid enough to think people would care about his claim (which is probably nothing, he's a bastard. Marriage doesn't seem to be what lyanna would do since its out of character for her to say "but he shouldn't cheat" and then go and deliberately cheat by marrying a married man. That's twice cheating).

Jon isn't petty enough to turn his back on the real threat.

Archived