Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson, The Gathering Storm

Larry.

I love the non-review reviews. :)

DF, Can you reveal not who killed Asmoden, but whether that killer is revealed in this book?

No. Maybe later? There's another mystery now, though.

I'm guessing not. I just asked in Waterstones and they said the book was marked with an 'embargo' on the system until Tuesday, so even if a branch puts out a copy by accident, the computer won't let them sell it when they try to scan it. From the website, it looks like Tescos is the same way, whilst in the USA it does sound like it's only local shops that are selling it early.

Correct, alas. Although I did have it in my hands for a few seconds. :P

Checking out local, independent shops might be a better idea.

There's only one here that I know of, and they don't stock any sf/f except for Harry Potter. And they sneer at you when you ask.

Like LL, I to gave up on this series ages ago (somewhere around book 6). I stated skimming new releases in the bookstores. But even that resulted in little forward movement. Last thing I skim read was about the Cleansing. But now it's been too long and I don't remember any of the tertiary, let alone secondary, characters.

But now that I know it's wrapping up … should I start back at the beginning, and perhaps, by the time I get to book 12, 13 and even 14 might be out? Or should I just wait until 14 is out and I hear through reviews if it was a satisfying wrap up or not? I just don't want to waste my time (again) if the ending (which is all I want) sucks.

Correct, alas. Although I did have it in my hands for a few seconds. :P

Interesting. Did they have a copy out by accident or were you just being strange and asked to hold it for a bit?

Did the person behind the till hold up the book and stroke it whilst saying in an evil tone, "You want this, don't you?"

Interesting. Did they have a copy out by accident or were you just being strange and asked to hold it for a bit?

Did the person behind the till hold up the book and stroke it whilst saying in an evil tone, "You want this, don't you?"

:rofl:

I hope his store name tag would read Palpatine.

I haven't read anything beyond Path of Daggers. That being said, I'll be getting the The Gathering Storm in paperback if the reviews are favorable as I really want to see what happens in the end. I loved the first 4 books of this series, but got tired of keeping track of all the characters and plot between books 5-7 while waiting for the next book.

Does anyone know if this will be available for e-book download on the 27th (I have a Sony Reader, not a Kindle)?

I read the prologue and first chapter that were released. I was quite pleased, it had been so long I forgot how much I enjoyed the immersive world Jordan created. So far the plot just seems tighter than before, stuff is being set in motion, which may be a result of B.S. or just the way events are playing out.

If Tor had picked me to write this, instead of some published, best-selling fantasy author (weird choice if you ask me, but to each their own), I would have opened the prologue something like this ...

A wind was blowing or something, it ended and began, and endless recyclable wind, etc etc.

Demandred stepped out of his teleport portal thing, you know the one, the thing they use to teleport and shit.

"Hey Graendal," Demandred said, high-fiving his fellow Forsaken. "What's up?"

"Ah, nothing much," Graendal replied. "But remember that time I killed Asmodean?"

Demandred lol'ed. "That was hilarious. Sometimes when I'm masquerading as Mazrim Taim, I think about that and it just cracks me up. But hey now, you got me to travel all the way to your super secret hiding place in Shara to tell me that?"

"Yeah." Graendal shrugged. "Sorry man. I was bored, just wanted some company."

"No worries," Demandred assured her. "But I can't stay. I gotta go poke out Matrim Cauthon's eye. Smell ya later sweetcheeks."

"Later alligator," Graendal said, as Demandred stepped back through his wormhole, or whatever the hell they call it.

Now, it's just a rough draft bear in mind, and I'm sure Sanderson's work will be a lot smoother, but honestly? I think I got him dominated. See what you passed on here Tor?

Lots.

Apparently, some of it is quite good though.

When I did the re-read last year, Egwene and (to a somewhat lesser extent) Nyaneve both improved as characters much more impressively, mainly as the overall structure of their story arcs made much more sense when read through in one go (i.e. you now see what the point of Egwene spending all that time being ritually humiliated by the Wise Ones). Elayne, erm, didn't. In fact, I was left with extreme apathy towards her character. I normally don't 'get' the whole surreal phenomenon of readers 'hating' characters and refusing to read their chapters, but with Elayne I can almost see where they are coming from.

I'll still read her chapters though, since otherwise I'd miss out on some storyline development and won't have a clue WTF is going on.

Fortunately:

SPOILER: TGS
No Elayne in The Gathering Storm! Huzzah!

Fortunately:

SPOILER: TGS
No Elayne in The Gathering Storm! Huzzah!

That's the only good thing I've read about TGS so far :thumbsup: (Well technically I've read a lot of "OHMYGODTHISISAWESOME" on Dragonmount but I trust that about as much as I'd trust a chocolate teapot).

Archived