BwB Book Club

Inigima

I might not be able to participate this time, due to two already-announced projects (Borges Month on my blog and a group reviewing of the Gollancz SF and Fantasy Masterworks that starts July 1), but if I could, I'd vote for Saramago, not just because he died recently, but because that is a very good book. I've already discussed Gabo's book on another site in the past, so that wouldn't be as high of an interest level for me. Don't own the other books at this time.

I'm not voting because I probably won't participate (if nothing else, I'll be away from the internet for over a week of the coming month).

That said, I've read three of the books on the list:

One Hundred Years of Solitude - possibly the best book ever?

All the Pretty Horses - not as good, but probably McCarthy's best, and really good in its own right.

All the Names - disappointing. Not as good as Blindness. Some good bits, but overall too well-trodden and without (perhaps intentionally) much colour or spark of life to animate it.

I guess I hope you do OHYOS at some point, so that I can read what people say about it. But that's not a vote.

Hm, purely on what sounds most interesting, Wasp Factory, but tactically voting, I really want to see a group re-read of Solitude, so that. (really, any of them sound good, so i'm not too fussy.)

Guest Raidne

Another vote for One Hundred Years of Solitude, but I haven't read any of those yet and will be a happy participator no matter what.

Thanks for your votes and your patience during the downtime, everyone. I have received no private votes, so by my tabulation, our winner is One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez. Let's get ahold of our copies and get to reading. Márquez and this book are very famous, so I expect most libraries will have copies if you don't want to buy one. I will be starting a new thread and linking it in the OP.

I have family visiting for the next few weeks so I might not be able to participate. Though I might end up re-reading OHYS on my own sometime after you guys finish up, so I'll be keeping an eye on the discussion.

Guest Raidne

Okay, how does this work again? Does the discussion start on a specific date? Or certain chapters by certain dates? Or do you just start posting whenever you finish it, or what?

Archived