Cricket XII

Daeric

Well we've hit 21 pages on the old cricket thread so time to start a new one.

Now do we reckon that Trotts going to be ok for the next test and if not who do England bring in?

I've seen suggestions that they bring in Tremlett for Trott and play 5 bowlers, but I don't think that's a good idea. For all that the lower order has been playing well with the bat, the fact that they've had to play well is because the top order hasn't been doing its job. It's not a good idea to start relying on Bresnan/Broad/Swann to do the job of a top order batsmen - good performances recently give the illusion that they are up to the task, but I'm not yet convinced they'll be able to keep it up. There's also that on good bowling tracks 5 bowlers is too many - one bowler always ends up being underused, or at least that's what always seemed to happen back when England were playing with a quintet a few years back.

So for me it needs to be a batsman. Bopara is the natural call up, I guess, although my county cricket knowledge is close to non-existent. Is there someone else waiting in the wings who's been tearing it up over the last season or so?

ST

Now do we reckon that Trotts going to be ok for the next test and if not who do England bring in?

I doubt it. It looked like he dislocated his shoulder to me which probably means his series is over.

I expect England will probably go with Bopara, he's next in line and he offers some part time bowling to replace Trott's overs. To be fair to him as well he has shown the commitment that England want with turning down an IPL contract to try and get into the England team, he probably deserves another chance to show what he can do lower down the order.

ETA: I believe that bright young prospect Marcus Trescothick is currently averaging over 80 in county cricket.

The S stands for Singh, so I always assumed he was Sikh.

Edit: Wiki does not reveal Dhoni's religion, but it does say "Dhoni had long hair which he has now shortened; he cut it because he wanted to look like his favourite film star John Abraham"

Sikh implies Singh as a surname, but Singh need not imply Sikh.

The actual number of Sikhs in the Indian cricket team is about as much as you'd expect considering their percentage of the population. Bishen Singh Bedi, Manindar Singh, Navjot Singh Sidhu and Harbhajan Singh are all I can recall. Oh and that guy who bowled Greenidge with an inswinger in the 83 WC final (Balwinder Singh Sandhu). We'll put Yuvraj as a maybe....similar to a lapsed/non-practising Catholic.

I agree on the competitiveness hope, but are Sehwag and Zaheer 100% certain to play? I was under the impression Zaheer was still a doubt, and if Sehwag's only just recovering...eek.

I think Sehwag should be fit to play, if he doesn't use his shoulder too much (like for bowling). Zaheer was being considered for the 2nd Test so I thought he was well on the way to recovery. The tour match with Northampton should shed some light.

As for team composition, since Yuvraj is out as well, the Indians have lost a part time bowler, and dont want to risk Sehwag....looks like a 4 seamer attack may be a little difficult to pull out.

I get the impression Sehwag might be able to play - he was supposedly flying in already so he could play in the tour match, which seems to be an indication they want a brief tune-up for him before he gets into the Third Test. For all their vaunted superstars, India badly need to strengthen the batting. They have not scored heavily in this series and with the lack of depth in their bowling, they need to.

One does not get the feeling that (even if they had Zaheer back) the Indian attack will be slicing up the English order, so the more realistic improvement to be made is in the batting. If they had Sehwag back (not sure about Gambhir) that could make a big difference. Tendulkar seems due as well (he's rarely looked troubled but is still without a big score). Dravid is in good form too, although it's still a question mark if he'll run out of steam having already scored two centuries in two Tests.

Harbhajan injured is a blessing in disguise. He was bowling terribly and any other spinner (Mishra or Ohja) would be an improvement at this stage.

One does not get the feeling that (even if they had Zaheer back) the Indian attack will be slicing up the English order, so the more realistic improvement to be made is in the batting. If they had Sehwag back (not sure about Gambhir) that could make a big difference. Tendulkar seems due as well (he's rarely looked troubled but is still without a big score). Dravid is in good form too, although it's still a question mark if he'll run out of steam having already scored two centuries in two Tests.

I'm not sure that Sehwag's really going to be a huge factor, or at least not in the scoring a hundred off 80 balls fashion that he often is. It's been a very difficult series for the openers, Cook's probably been the form opener in the world going into this series and he's currently averaging five, and Sehwag's normal style probably makes him more vulnerable than most to cheap dismissals in English conditions against good bowling. Realistically I think what India need is their openers to see off the new ball better than they have been to protect their middle order a bit more.

Sehwag's experience probably makes him a better bet than Mukund to do that but expecting him to come off an injury and take the attack to England's bowlers straight off the bat is probably setting the bar a bit high.

Sehwag's experience probably makes him a better bet than Mukund to do that but expecting him to come off an injury and take the attack to England's bowlers straight off the bat is probably setting the bar a bit high.

True; the man could easily get out cheaply in his two innings and that wouldn't be much of an improvement. It's been tough for the openers and the new ball has been doing a lot (especially in the hands of the English attack). However, Sehwag going out and having a swing should be better than Mukund morosely hanging around waiting for a ball with his name on it. I agree that he could get out cheaply and have no impact, and that an 80-ball century is probably asking a bit much for a guy coming back from injury, but a quickfire 40-50 from an opener can do wonders to unsettle the bowlers and calm the batting lineup.

Hey Cyrano, thanks for the answers to my question.

Malt, the Wikipedia list of Sikh cricketers doesn’t list MS Dhoni (but I’m sure I read somewhere that he was Sikh. I think it was in an article about Harbhijan being told off for letting his hair out for a commercial, and him pointing out that Dhoni doesn’t get criticised for cutting his hair).

Interestingly, if Bopara is selected to replace Trott, England will go into the side with one Sikh player and India will have none.

True; the man could easily get out cheaply in his two innings and that wouldn't be much of an improvement. It's been tough for the openers and the new ball has been doing a lot (especially in the hands of the English attack). However, Sehwag going out and having a swing should be better than Mukund morosely hanging around waiting for a ball with his name on it. I agree that he could get out cheaply and have no impact, and that an 80-ball century is probably asking a bit much for a guy coming back from injury, but a quickfire 40-50 from an opener can do wonders to unsettle the bowlers and calm the batting lineup.

Yep, agree with this.

Sehwag going down swinging is an improvement on Mukand waiting around to get hit

I expect England will probably go with Bopara, he's next in line and he offers some part time bowling to replace Trott's overs. To be fair to him as well he has shown the commitment that England want with turning down an IPL contract to try and get into the England team, he probably deserves another chance to show what he can do lower down the order.

Michael Carberry just scored a triple-century today, so he might be another possibility. It might not be a bad idea to give him some more experience, if Strauss or Cook ever get injured then I think the only opening batsman available with any Test experience is Carberry with his single Test against Bangladesh last year.

Michael Carberry just scored a triple-century today, so he might be another possibility. It might not be a bad idea to give him some more experience, if Strauss or Cook ever get injured then I think the only opening batsman available with any Test experience is Carberry with his single Test against Bangladesh last year.

:stunned: I didn't realise that. Yikes.

Bring back Tresco?

Bring back Tresco?

It would be nice if that was possible (especially considering how well he's been playing in domestic cricket the past few years), unfortunately they might need a reserve opener sometime for a Test that isn't in England.

It would be nice if that was possible (especially considering how well he's been playing in domestic cricket the past few years), unfortunately they might need a reserve opener sometime for a Test that isn't in England.

Very true, and I did consider putting that qualifier in my post.

Sehwag going down swinging is an improvement on Mukand waiting around to get hit

Unfortunately for the selectors, Mukund scored a century while Gambhir and Sehwag struggled against a sexond string county team. Plus he's played the most matches so far and is the most acclamatized.

Oh well, I'd still go with Sehwag and keep Gambhir out for the third Test.

I've been following the Bangladesh vs Zimbabwe test match. Not as exciting stuff as the India vs England unfortunately :P.

Despite the lower order collapse, the Zimbabwe top order did enough damage to see them through to a really strong position. In contrast Bangladesh openers have been very disappointing. I am getting really sick of Imrul Kayes. If it wasn't for the sake of stability and building the team, I'd be howling for a replacement right about now. Unfortunately, we don't seem to have a replacement, other than Shahriar Nafees who is batting at 3rd. But the team suffered from too many player switching in the past everytime someone played badly, so I don't want that to happen again. But I do wish he would get his shit together.

Ashraful on the other hand is playing rather well and has shown some patience (*gasp!*). Let's hope he keeps it up as he would be an absolutely invaluable member given his potential.

Still a long way to go though, so here's to hoping that Bangladesh can fight back.

edit: FFS, I speak well of him and he throws away his wicket with a stupid ass shot. Damn you Ashraful, its like he wants me to hate him :bang:

Whenever I read a statement by the ECB it invariably contains the words "nPower Test". Why are they in thrall to their corporate overlords?

Probably part of the sponsorship, they should play around with it a little and go with nPower tests sponsored by British Gas :P

Australia is getting annihilated by Sri Lanka in the opening T20 game. TBH I'll be pretty disappointed if SL don't put the Aussies away on this tour, but Australia have just enough talent to maybe cause the hosts some problems in the tests. Will watch with greater interest than I anticipated given that the England-India series has been less competitive than I'd hoped.

Australia is getting annihilated by Sri Lanka in the opening T20 game. TBH I'll be pretty disappointed if SL don't put the Aussies away on this tour, but Australia have just enough talent to maybe cause the hosts some problems in the tests. Will watch with greater interest than I anticipated given that the England-India series has been less competitive than I'd hoped.

I was watching the end of the Sri Lankan innings in that Twenty20, we were getting absolutely smashed. I know Twenty20 isn't the best gauge of bowlers, but everyone in the Australian attack was bowling pies, while Dilshan swung away to his heart's content.

It'll be interesting to see how the Sri Lankan attack copes in the more demanding matches out there.

Archived