Cricket XII

Daeric

I was a bit puzzled about why India sent Sehwag out to open when he's had virtually no batting time in months, that he got out cheaply isn't much of a surprise. I can understand why they took a risk in playing him (although in retrospect it was a mistake), but maybe they could have put him somewhere in the middle order instead so he wouldn't have to deal with the new ball - at least then he might have had a bit more of an opportunity to survive for a bit longer.

Bets on when this one will end: before lunch, before tea, before close of play or on Sunday?

I'm guessing between lunch and tea tomorrow, but who knows?

I think losing 9 wickets before lunch tomorrow would be unlikely. Maybe sometime around lunchtime on Sunday?

Poor Dravid, it did look like he hit his shoelace after all instead of the ball.

Well, India once again collapsing like a house of cards. Their batting wasn't meant to be this bad! A more likely explanation is that England's bowlers are too good, but you'd still tend to think that someone out of that lineup would offer some resistance.

Then the question goes onto why Dravid didn't think of reviewing. Played for too many years without it: forgotten about it in the confusion caused by his dash off-field : forgotten about it in the stress of India's poor performance. And yet Raina tried... when he couldn't.

Well that's it then, England will go to number one in the world. How covincingly they've blown India away to do it has been a bit of a surprise though. The Indian bowling was always going to struggle a bit without Zaheer but for this Indian batting lineup to get bowled out for less than 300 6 times in a row is unexpected.

Overall I suppose as a contest this series has been a bit of a let down but I can't say I haven't quite enjoyed it as an England fan

Well, one Test now for India to repair some of the damage to their reputation.

The only positive out of this match was that Dhoni showed some form with the bat, with a pair of aggressive 70s.

Apart from that, no performances from any of India's players - it's quite remarkable how no other player contributed at all. In both innings, Dhoni was the only one to get so much as a half century, and the best bowling figures were 3/150 by Mishra in an innings where the bowling let in 700+ runs and only took 7 wickets overall.

Zimbabwe bowling attack is destroying the Bangladesh's batting order. 50/4 (16 Overs). I had such high hopes for this series :ohwell:

Edit: 61/6. This is depressing the hell out of me..

You'd have to say that suncontinental cricket in general is at a slightly low ebb ATM: India has relinquished it's hold of the coveted Number 1 test ranking, Pakistan is still reeling from the loss of its captain and pace attack to spot-fixing, Bangladesh is being humbled by an inexperienced Zim team in unfamilar conditions and even Sri Lanka is looking vulnerable on home turf against the much-maligned Aussies. Interesting phase for international cricket really.

I think a lot of subcontinental teams are struggling away from home more and more, particularly with their bowling. Its disappointing really

Yeah, good point. Although the batting stocks remain relatively strong, none of the big three suncontinental teams have been able to replace the stars of the previous generation of bowlers (Wasim, Waqar, Murali, Vaas, Kumble et. al.). Asif and Aamer were probably the pick of the replacements but we won't see them in action for years now.

To be fair the Pakistani bowlers still aren't terrible, they just aren't as good as they could have been with Amir and Asif.

Australia are looking pretty good so far in the one day series, hopefully that can translate to a competitive test series. Actually despite their issues Australian cricket could have the chance to get into a far better position if they play well over the next few months. Winning in Sri Lanka won't be easy but with the Sri Lankan bowling definitely in a transitional phase and the Australian bowlers taking wickets so far it looks possible and the India series at home suddenly looks very winnable. The series in South Africa will be tough but it's only 2 tests so scraping a reasonable result is possible.

Archived