Cricket XII

Daeric

We've got fast bowlers coming out of our ears.

There doesn't seem to be any shortage of good English pace bowlers at the moment, there seem to be a few young bowlers with potential who haven't played any Tests yet as well. Either Finn or Onions would be a good choice if Anderson was injured, I don't know what Onions' recent form has been like so I'm not sure which of them would be the best choice.

I'm going to The Oval on Thursday, currently I'm looking at the weather forecast trying to figure out when on Thursday it's going to rain...

I'm going to The Oval on Thursday, currently I'm looking at the weather forecast trying to figure out when on Thursday it's going to rain...

All day, off and on, apparently. :(

Onions has been playing well at county level.

Much needed win for the Lankans and it was very comprehensive in the end. Excellent comeback for Tharanga after his ban and Malinga was all over the Australians.

Would like to start seeing some close matches though :ohwell:.

Much needed win for the Lankans and it was very comprehensive in the end. Excellent comeback for Tharanga after his ban and Malinga was all over the Australians.

Would like to start seeing some close matches though :ohwell:.

Same! It was a good solid win for the Sri Lankans though.

The Aussie team has a good chance to get some wins under its belt against Sri Lanka in the Test series - I am cautiously optimistic, although I think the Tests will be mainly batting-fests. And the home series with India as pointed out earlier looks eminently more winnable after India have totally fluffed their lines in this series against England.

Bollinger bowling well in the ODI series (cumulatively he is 8/111 off 27 overs). He maybe has hope of being a decent Test bowler again. Australia need good Test bowlers. Johnson alone isn't going to cut it (and he's erratic anyway), the spinning situation is dire and we seem to have a crop of second-tier guys shuffling in and out of the side.

Long overdue changes finally made to Australian cricket.

Meanwhile, India and Bangladesh are looking a bit better in their respective matches. India haven't let England score quickly and have managed to remove the openers, Bangladesh are chasing another 70-odd to win with plenty of wickets in hand.

MCGeek and I were wondering - barring collapses - how long England would bat. By far their best chance of winning now is forcing a follow-on.

550? 600?

I think sometime around Tea would be a good time to declare, they might be up around 650-ish by then.

pretty good chance that within 2-3 years this current team will have the 4 most successful century makers in englands history. current record is 22, strauss, pieterson and cook have 19 each, bell on 16.

It does seem likely, it's probably a race now between Pietersen and Cook to see who will break the record first - although in the long term Cook should end up with the most of all of them since he's several years younger than the rest of them.

It does seem likely, it's probably a race now between Pietersen and Cook to see who will break the record first - although in the long term Cook should end up with the most of all of them since he's several years younger than the rest of them.

Plus an opener has a slightly better chance of scoring more centuries. It shouldn't really make a difference until about No. 5 or 6 in the order (and with England's tail batting well, even less difference) but it may slightly affect Bell's chances when Trott comes back.

Also agree that England must be looking for a follow-on here. With only three days left they'll want to hit the accelerator, score another 200 runs in 1.5 sessions and insert India a little bit before tea, weather permitting. The Indian batting lineup has performed so badly that I wouldn't put it past them to be bowled out twice in two days. But if they're going to make a score, the Oval is probably the place to do it. As a neutral I hope at least one of Sachin/Dravid/Laxman makes a good score in what is likely to be their final Test in England.

Australian cricket reforms are a bit ho-hum. Hilditch is gone as expected, but I fail to see how changing the number of selectors is going to improve our standing on its own. A full-time selector (plus the coach, captain, and two part-timers) seems to be a reasonably balanced lineup, but the real job has to be strengthening first-class cricket and the academies. A change of coach may also be a good thing, apparently Steve Rixon is being mentioned as a possibility. When you consider that Clarke is a new Test captain, it might not be a bad idea to have a more experienced coach in there.

Bloody hell, India.

It's another terrible day for them. I think they'll do well to get to 200 from where they are, although I'm not sure if Gambhir is going to bat, they'd have a bit more chance if he did.

I felt a bit sorry for Bopara, he makes a good start but then the rain denies him the opportunity to put together a decent innings.

In other news, England have announced their team to play Ireland in a few days. They're resting a lot of the players who were involved in the Test series, so Eoin Morgan has been selected as Captain, I'm sure he's mostly delighted about that but might have slightly mixed feelings considering his opponents. I think he might get a bit of banter directed at him from his former team-mates during the match. It's an inexperienced England team with four debutants in the squad (which I think is a good strategy), so Ireland might feel they have a good chance of beating England (again).

This Indian batting lineup is paper thin, although Dravid enhances his reputation once again - I'm glad he's put together a score, even if Tendulkar and Laxman didn't. Once again Tendulkar got a decent start but didn't go on past the 20s and 30s. The next innings will be his last chance (and I'm pretty sure India will be batting again).

Being the 4th day and potentially a bit of rain around (?) they might have a chance of pulling out a draw, but I doubt it.

Zimbabwe fast bowler Keegan Meth lost two and a half teeth on the very last bowl of the Zimbabwe innings.

He chucked in a full toss and the Bangladeshi batsmen smashed it right back at him. He couldn't get his hands up in time. Blood everywhere, you could see the teeth flying out of his mouth. Ouch! :stillsick:

Brilliant from Dravid. I was never really going to change my avatar anyway, but this series has reminded me never to do it. 435 runs in this series so far and he's easily been India's best player.

As I said from the beginning of the series, they should have chosen Munaf Patel. In this Test, in place of Raina to strengthen the batting, and possibly bowl better too.

And a 4 seamer attack would have been better too. Keep Amit Mishra for his batting.

Archived