361 replies to this topic

#21 Jaxom 1974

Jaxom 1974

Boy Meets World

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,702 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:27 PM

I love hearing people talk about him and still call him "ry-yun". Really, can't the guy get a little respect? We can say Krzyzewski and Favre, but Ryne gets mugged each time?

Didn't they also come out and say they wanted someone with major league experience or something, effectively making him a no-go?

Theo called Sandberg, apparently before the firing of Quade was released, to personally say he wasn't going to be considered at this time for the Cubs top manager spot.

Latest rumor today was that if the Cubs hired the Phillies bench coach, Ryno was on the short list to join Charlie Manuel as the new Phillies bench coach,,,

#22 Mack Kilimaro

Mack Kilimaro

Mailed Fist of Social Justice

• Members
  • 3,706 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:49 AM

....someone please remind me why we need a CF who is probably not actually good except in one fluke year and who is kind of awful at defense. Didn't we just DFA Rowand, who is all of that except slightly better at defense? Ugh. Sabes, I hate you.

On the bright side, Melky's gonna cost you a heck of a lot less than Rowand.

On the not-so-bright side, Rowand is still costing you in 2012.

Back to the bright side: at least your team had a GM for the last month. Although if I'm getting technical, the O's didn't have a GM before that either because they called him the president of baseball operations. The new guy we have hired, also a GM-analogue, is going to be the executive vice president of baseball operations. Sometimes I hate Peter Angelos.

#23 Manhole Eunuchsbane

Manhole Eunuchsbane

ACTUAL AUTHOR on fire with hate

• Members
  • 5,411 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 01:09 AM

....someone please remind me why we need a CF who is probably not actually good except in one fluke year and who is kind of awful at defense. Didn't we just DFA Rowand, who is all of that except slightly better at defense? Ugh. Sabes, I hate you.

And don't we have a supposed franchise CF coming up from AAA? I don't understand this at all. Sanchez was maddening, but he was still a damn good option for the 5th spot in the rotation when healthy. I spose this means we get to see Zito once a week? That will be fun.

Edited by Manhole Eunuchsbane, 08 November 2011 - 01:12 AM.

#24 kairparavel

kairparavel

MIND THE GAP

• Members
  • 5,336 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:10 PM

Lost in the PSU awful has been the kidnapping of Nats catcher Wilson Ramos.

http://www.washingto...HUqBN_blog.html

#25 kairparavel

kairparavel

MIND THE GAP

• Members
  • 5,336 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 10:26 AM

http://espn.go.com/m...well-kidnapping Good news

http://espn.go.com/m...eal-source-says Not so good news.
Bah!

#26 mediocre cheese

mediocre cheese

He with his Foot in his Mouth

• Members
  • 932 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:58 AM

No way is papelbon worth that kind of money.

#27 Manhole Eunuchsbane

Manhole Eunuchsbane

ACTUAL AUTHOR on fire with hate

• Members
  • 5,411 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:28 PM

No way is papelbon worth that kind of money.

Agreed. The Phillies are the new Yankees.

#28 Triskan

Triskan

Frisky Trisky

• Members
  • 30,294 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 01:43 PM

Yeah, I can't believe Papelbon is that good. Plus this guy Madsen looked potentially really good for Philly out of the pen.

Albert visited "Miami" with their new stadium. They are acting like the old stadium is the only reason they were cheap in the past. We shall see.

#29 AlanPardew

AlanPardew

Greatest Manager Ever

• Members
  • 6,914 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 09:31 PM

Agreed. The Phillies are the new Yankees.

and i hope they spend and fail all the same.

#30 Jaxom 1974

Jaxom 1974

Boy Meets World

• Members
  • 23,702 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 08:27 AM

Change the name to "Miami Marlins"...is it because alliteration is easier on Ozzie...?

#31 Lord O' Bones

Lord O' Bones

Kicking it otter school again

• Members
  • 16,236 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 07:52 PM

Mike Matheny? Good Giant. Better Cardinal. Good luck.

#32 naz

naz

some will sell their dreams for small desires

• Members
  • 6,109 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:01 PM

I hope this Papelbon signing backfires on the Phillies. Madson was doing great this year; really stepped up when he was needed. And since Madson had the gall to ask for just a bit less than Papelbon did, it means Madson effectively got screwed by the Phillies and used as leverage. They truly have become the new Yankees, all the worse for Mets fans, since one Yankees-like team in the area is enough to contend with.

But who knows, maybe we'll steal Madson away. Not for Papelbon money though, which would probably kill it for us.

#33 Kat

Kat

Forza Azzurri!

• Board Moderators
  • 6,412 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:14 PM

I don't understand spending that kind of years on a closer, let alone money. They don't have another reliever they can have close games for them, and spend less money on another bullpen guy?

Also, I thought the Phillies didn't have a lot of money to spend this year. I guess they have a secret money tree somewhere. I'm jealous.

#34 naz

naz

some will sell their dreams for small desires

• Members
  • 6,109 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 12:52 AM

It's weird because Madson was asking for the same thing, only $1.5M less a year. And they're saying that Nathan and Lidge are also in the running to get somewheres around $8-9M a year. Definitely, for those two guys, I would never sign them for 4 yrs, even if it was for that kind of money. Each are in their late 30s and coming off injuries.

Papelbon and Madson are 30 and 31 and I guess that makes it ok to go 4 years with either of them? I dunno.

Heck... until Cliff Lee, Philly wasn't even willing to go more than 3 yrs on a starter, let alone a closer. That they would do so now is just that much closer to Yankees-type spending which will ultimately backfire on them, as it has the Yankees. Well, one can hope.

#35 AlanPardew

AlanPardew

Greatest Manager Ever

• Members
  • 6,914 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:10 AM

Change the name to "Miami Marlins"...is it because alliteration is easier on Ozzie...?

but, look at these fucking uniforms! http://tampabay.sbna...s-leaked-images wow. that logo is awful. it is almost like the art department was like 'arizona, you think your logo and uniforms look ridiculous? not a chance! wait until you see what we have!'

pujols will not wear that.

their new stadium looks amazing though. yet in the end miami will still not likely give a half a shit about baseball.

#36 AlanPardew

AlanPardew

Greatest Manager Ever

• Members
  • 6,914 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 01:11 PM

dodgers sign kemp to 8 year $160 million dollar deal

http://content.usato...nsion-dodgers/1

#37 Greywolf2375

Greywolf2375

HIGHLY INTELLIGENT LIBRARIAN

• Members
  • 11,791 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:02 PM

I don't understand spending that kind of years on a closer, let alone money. They don't have another reliever they can have close games for them, and spend less money on another bullpen guy?

Also, I thought the Phillies didn't have a lot of money to spend this year. I guess they have a secret money tree somewhere. I'm jealous.

they are banking on him being the next Rivera and closing 40ish games a year for the next decade. I think it is mildly insane, but hey....not my money.

#38 Jaxom 1974

Jaxom 1974

Boy Meets World

• Members
  • 23,702 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:19 PM

but, look at these fucking uniforms! http://tampabay.sbna...s-leaked-images wow. that logo is awful. it is almost like the art department was like 'arizona, you think your logo and uniforms look ridiculous? not a chance! wait until you see what we have!'

Oh I don't know. The home whites aren't THAT bad...however, those alternate Orange ones seem like they'd be more at home on a college campus...Syracuse might get jealous.

And you're right, Pujols won't want to wear that...

#39 Triskan

Triskan

Frisky Trisky

• Members
  • 30,294 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:17 PM

Mike Matheny? Good Giant. Better Cardinal. Good luck.

It's hard to say right now, but I'm pretty happy that we didn't go with Francona. That just felt wrong.

#40 Myshkin

Myshkin

Just You Shut Your Mouth

• Members
  • 6,894 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:33 PM

dodgers sign kemp to 8 year $160 million dollar deal

http://content.usato...nsion-dodgers/1

Finally some good news. And under $200 million. I didn't have high hopes for this deal since Dave Stewart is still super mad about the '88 WS.

Edited by Myshkin, 14 November 2011 - 07:35 PM.