Moments of Foreshadowing 2

Ice Turtle

I wonder if this is foreshadowing a confrontation between Jon and Ramsay

One of them, a black mongrel bitch with long yellow eyes, caught a scent of the chicken. She stopped and edged under the bench to get a share. Jon watched the confrontation. The bitch growled low in her throat and moved closer. Ghost looked up, silent, and fixed the dog with those hot red eyes. The bitch snapped an angry challenge. She was three times the size of the direwolf pup. Ghost did not move. He stood over his prize and opened his mouth, baring his fangs. The bitch tensed, barked again, then thought better of this fight. She turned and slunk away, with one last defiant snap to save her pride. Ghost went back to his meal.

You people are cruel, hasn't Jon been through enough without being saddled up with some chick who thinks people like Khal Drogo and Daario are "kewl"?

Val has way more class then giggeling schoolgirl Dany. Poor Jon...

I must of missed that in the books. I don't remember dany ever saying people were "kewl" does your point get across better when you spell cool as kewl?

Not likely or the dog would be male. It may be foreshadowing, but it refers to confrontation with female in stronger position. So maybe Asha if she gains power again or maybe LF will put Sansa and Jon against each other. Besides Ramsay is too insane to gave up.

Though maybe I'm wrong about the gender after all and it refers to Sandor. He is close to being three times the size of Jon.

Not likely or the dog would be male. It may be foreshadowing, but it refers to confrontation with female in stronger position. So maybe Asha if she gains power again or maybe LF will put Sansa and Jon against each other. Besides Ramsay is too insane to gave up.

Though maybe I'm wrong about the gender after all and it refers to Sandor. He is close to being three times the size of Jon.

Generally I would lean toward your gender interpretation, but Ramsay has pretty strong associations with his female dogs.

Nice catch.

Wel like @Ragnorak says Ramsay is known for keeping female dogs. But if it ain't Ramsay and it is forshadowing...could it be Brienne then? I suppose Brienne is bigger then Jon too.

I must of missed that in the books. I don't remember dany ever saying people were "kewl" does your point get across better when you spell cool as kewl?

No, she didn't use the word "kewl" in the books haha. Or even "cool". What Scipio meant was that her taste in men is shiny douches. Although I would slightly disagree about Drogo in this context, but yes, Daario is a good point.

Wel like @Ragnorak says Ramsay is known for keeping female dogs. But if it ain't Ramsay and it is forshadowing...could it be Brienne then? I suppose Brienne is bigger then Jon too.

It could be Theon. We know he is literally Ramsay's bitch, and might not be even really male by now.

It could also be after-shadowing (is this a word?), of the scene with the direwolf pups. Theon was the first to draw the sword to kill them when Ned gave the word, but John convinced Ned to keep them.

There's also the rather nasty fate of Chett. As the keeper of a pack of dogs and the son of a leechman, who dreamed of becoming a lord or even a king, Chett sounds like he could very easily be meant to foreshadow Ramsay's ultimate fate:

There'd be no lord's life for the leechman's son, no keep to call his own, no wives nor crowns. Only a wildling's sword in his belly, and then an unmarked grave. The snow's taken it all from me ... the bloody snow...

Given what happened to Jon in his final ADWD chapter, "the bloody snow" taking everything from "the leechman's son" sounds like a strong hint that Jon will take everything from Ramsay. Right now, Ramsay's lost his wife (Jeyne Poole), he's about to lose "his" keep (Winterfell), and he'll have neither a lord's life (there's no way he'll succeed Roose as Lord Bolton) nor a crown (neither of the Boltons, especially not Ramsay, will ever have the chance to try and become King in the North). And given the constantly repeated idea of Jon as a wildling, Chett's thought that he'll have "a wildling's sword in his belly" could hint that Jon will kill Ramsay by stabbing him in the stomach.

I'm curious what the present-day analogue to the tale of "Mad Axe" will end up being. Mad-Axe "had been a big man" and had "butcher[ed] his brothers in the dark" at the Nightfort. During that butchery, he

took his boots off and prowled the castle halls barefoot in the dark, with never a sound to tell you where he was except for the drops of blood that fell from his axe and his elbows and the end of his wet red beard.

The story of a large man silently butchering people in the dark could foreshadow our silent giant, Ser Robert Strong, going on a rampage in the Red Keep (perhaps he'll kill his "brothers" in the Kingsguard, just as Mad Axe killed his brothers in the Watch?). The tale of Mad Axe might also contain hints as to Areo Hotah's future, as Hotah is a large, silent man whose favorite weapon (as we've been told over and over again) is an axe.

Monster stoods in the grass beside the road; black iron dragons with jewels for eyes, roaring griffins, manticores with their barbed tails poised to strike

Monsters will come into conflict with Dany later

Black iron dragon with jewels for eyes- Aegon (Blackfyre) with purple eyes like amethysts

Roaring griffins- Jon Connington

Manticores with their barbed tails poised to strike- Assassination attempt by Sorrowful Men

There's also the rather nasty fate of Chett. As the keeper of a pack of dogs and the son of a leechman, who dreamed of becoming a lord or even a king, Chett sounds like he could very easily be meant to foreshadow Ramsay's ultimate fate:

Given what happened to Jon in his final ADWD chapter, "the bloody snow" taking everything from "the leechman's son" sounds like a strong hint that Jon will take everything from Ramsay. Right now, Ramsay's lost his wife (Jeyne Poole), he's about to lose "his" keep (Winterfell), and he'll have neither a lord's life (there's no way he'll succeed Roose as Lord Bolton) nor a crown (neither of the Boltons, especially not Ramsay, will ever have the chance to try and become King in the North). And given the constantly repeated idea of Jon as a wildling, Chett's thought that he'll have "a wildling's sword in his belly" could hint that Jon will kill Ramsay by stabbing him in the stomach.

I'm curious what the present-day analogue to the tale of "Mad Axe" will end up being. Mad-Axe "had been a big man" and had "butcher[ed] his brothers in the dark" at the Nightfort. During that butchery, he

The story of a large man silently butchering people in the dark could foreshadow our silent giant, Ser Robert Strong, going on a rampage in the Red Keep (perhaps he'll kill his "brothers" in the Kingsguard, just as Mad Axe killed his brothers in the Watch?). The tale of Mad Axe might also contain hints as to Areo Hotah's future, as Hotah is a large, silent man whose favorite weapon (as we've been told over and over again) is an axe.

Nice catch on Chett/Jon/Ramsay.

And I must say the thought of Hotah walking silently through a castle slaying everybody gave me chills.

But the Ser Gregor/Robert is quite possible, especially if Qyburn controls him.

Black iron dragon with jewels for eyes- Aegon (Blackfyre) with purple eyes like amethysts

Manticores with their barbed tails poised to strike- Assassination attempt by Sorrowful Men

and lions roar, so maybe it is the griffin speaking with the lion's voice, since they listened to Tyroin's advice.

Brienne tells Nimble Dick a legend from her region

Ser Galladon was a champion of such valor that the Maiden herself lost her heart to him. She gave him an enchanted sword as a token of her love. The Just Maid, it was called. No common sword could check her, nor any shield withstand her kiss. Ser Galladon bore the Just Maid proudly, but only thrice did he unsheathe her. He would not use the Maid against a mortal man, for she was so portent to make any fight unfair [...] He used her once to slay a dragon, they say".

Brienne's going to get a magic sword and use it to slay zombies and dragons.

"Well shut your bloody mouth and kill me if you can."

Candidates:

In the dream she had bitten off her tongue. My mouth was full of blood.

or

"Lord Lychester's sons died in Robert's Rebellion," grumbled Lem. "No bloody song's like to help any of that."

Lem snorted through his broken nose. "Was it you who made a song of it, or some other bloody arse in love with his own voice?"

"A chewed up corpse's no good to no one," said Lem. "The Huntsman bloody well knows that, too."

"What's with all the bloody shouting" Lem complained from bed. "A man's trying to get some bloody sleep."

"How'd the bloody bastard get all that gold anyhow?" Lem Lemoncloak said

"T'other is one of Randyll Bloody Tarly's bloody household knights."

I really hope you're right on this one Tze, can't wait tll Jonny slams Longclaw in Ramsay's soft spots.

<snip>

Interesting. In Jaime's dream in ASOS, he meets with Lannister ancestors:

"Your place." The voice echoed; it was a hundred voices, a thousand, the voices of all the Lannisters

since Lann the Clever, who'd lived at the dawn of days. But most of all it was his father's voice, and

beside Lord Tywin stood his sister, pale and beautiful, a torch burning in her hand. Joffrey was there as

well, the son they'd made together, and behind them a dozen more dark shapes with golden hair.

And then there's this quote from Dream Cersei:

"The flames will bum so long as you live," he heard Cersei call. "When they die, so must you."

And then this:

The fires that ran along the blade were guttering out, and Jaime remembered what Cersei had said. No.

Terror closed a hand about his throat. Then his sword went dark, and only Brienne's burned, as the

ghosts came rushing in.

"No," he said, "no, no, no. Nooooooooo!"

If I had to guess, based on this, Cersei predeceases Jaime, and Jaime predeceases Brienne. (Maybe Brienne even kills Jaime, as Jaime's sword goes dark while Brienne's continues to burn. They never got to finish their fight in ASOS, not really. I could see Stoneheart forcing them to fight to the death, because that's just how she rolls.)

"The ghosts came rushing in" = Jaime's past crimes, or, alternatively, Jaime's guilt over his past crimes, lead to his death.

Tyrion is also mysteriously absent from the cadre of Lannister family members, unlike Tywin (died in ASOS), Joffrey (died in ASOS), and Cersei (will surely die before the end of the series). It doesn't mean that Tyrion will survive the series, but it seems likely he'll survive Jaime.

Tyrion is also mysteriously absent from the cadre of Lannister family members, unlike Tywin (died in ASOS), Joffrey (died in ASOS), and Cersei (will surely die before the end of the series). It doesn't mean that Tyrion will survive the series, but it seems likely he'll survive Jaime.

According to that logic, Cersei's curse won't come true either, because this would mean that Tommen and Myrcella too survive Cersei. I would be very much on board with this, because I like Tommen and Myrcella. I could see Myrcella surviving while still technically fullfilling the criteria of the curse - she might be shrouded due to her disfigurement, maybe that's enough. Or she might be switched with an impostor and the impostor dies.

Alas, I have a bad feeling for Tommen. Somehow I don't see him sitting the Iron Throne in the end.... how is he going to get out of the curse? (seems somewhat unneccessarily cruel from a narrative perspective to have him survive Cersei only to kill him off after her death, but I wouldn't put it past George)

Manticores are partly lion, aren't they?!

Archived